Attaching acrylic to glass??? - Michigan Reefers
Register Free
Michigan Reefers

Go Back   Michigan Reefers » General Interest Forums » Advanced Topics

Advanced Topics This forum is intended for the discussion of ‘Advanced Topics’. Under this broad heading we hope to act as a resource and share information about difficult to keep animals and advances in technology, ideas, or reef keeping methodologies.

Support Our Sponsors
Support Our Sponsors  Become a Sponsor
Tropicorium   

Old 12-22-2011, 09:03 PM
Wuton's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 58854
Default Attaching acrylic to glass???

I have a question concerning how to attach a coast to coast overflow to my aquarium glass. It will be an acrylic box 20” x 4” x 3” it will be placed outside the aquarium on the back wall, I bought some silicone for it but on second thought I was thinking of only using the silicone for the top bead and using some sort of epoxy to actually affix the box to the glass. It seems like the silicone alone may not hold the weight of the water when the box is full of water. Am I just worrying about something that is not that important or should I rethink my plan?
Members of Michigan Reefers have rated post as the most helpful. Skip right to it!
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Attaching Plexi-glass to Rubermaid poly tanks LG-Blenny Do It Yourself 2 08-20-2006 07:17 PM
WTB Glass or Acrylic top xReeferMadnessx Want to Buy 1 05-10-2006 12:26 PM
attaching plexi glass to sump glss wingsfan Do It Yourself 7 03-09-2005 03:00 PM
Glass or Acrylic? Rook Lighting, Filtration and Other Equipment 36 01-05-2005 06:05 PM
Acrylic vs Glass yorkie Reef Discussion 5 01-23-2004 02:29 PM

Old 12-22-2011, 09:14 PM
chadf's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48144

I would think silicone will be fine, maybe silicone in a gusset under it or build one into the bottom of your overflow if you're worried about it.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:18 PM
Wuton's Tank Specs

LMMFAO@Me having to google gusset.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:30 PM
chadf's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48144

Lol, yea it'll help put some weight against the aquarium instead of all straight down.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:31 PM
reefone's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48038
My Mood: Mellow

dont use acrylic attached to glass for ur overflow. it will let loose and it will cause a flood. silicon or epoxy will not hold them togather.

call a glass shop and have them cut u some glass to the sizes needed for the overflow then use ur silicone to glue the box togather then glue it to the tank. make sure the silicone is 100% silicone and doesnt have any bio guard in it as this will hurt livestock.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:34 PM
reefone's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48038
My Mood: Mellow

the only way i would trust a acrylic overflow box on the back of a glass tank is to use bulkheads to hold them togather like a glass holes kit does.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:36 PM
WillBattle's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48105
My Mood: Relaxed

Edited in next post.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:38 PM
WillBattle's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48105

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefone View Post
dont use acrylic attached to glass for ur overflow. it will let loose and it will cause a flood. silicon or epoxy will not hold them togather.

call a glass shop and have them cut u some glass to the sizes needed for the overflow then use ur silicone to glue the box togather then glue it to the tank. make sure the silicone is 100% silicone and doesnt have any bio guard in it as this will hurt livestock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefone View Post
the only way i would trust a acrylic overflow box on the back of a glass tank is to use bulkheads to hold them togather like a glass holes kit does.
+1, I agree with this, same reason you don't use acrylic as baffles in a glass sump/refug over time it just will not hold, and in the overflow case that is a very very bad thing. I would get a piece of glass cut to use in its place. You don't have to use 'aquarium silicone' but make sure it doesn't have any mold resistant chemicals or chemicals of that sort in it, it will leach into your tank.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:18 PM
Wuton's Tank Specs

The thing is, I already have the overflow. I wanted to go glass but the only local retailer really doesn’t do this type of business and when I suggested just buying panes of glass at certain sizes he didn’t seem interested in my business. So I ordered one with my sump. I do have extra bulkheads I could use to support the weight. This is something I had not thought of, I will be drilling the glass anyways for the four returns so this could be done at the same time. Drilling the acrylic shouldn’t pose much of an obstacle. If I went this route I would still silicone the upper lip to prevent water leakage.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:29 PM
Wuton's Tank Specs

I would think if I went this route I would have to plug the holes, otherwise I would defeat the function of the surface skimmer.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:45 AM
Jessemac's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48162
My Mood: Cool

Am I missing something or did I read it right? You are planning on attaching a Coast to Coast overflow to the back of a glass tank? If so, why on earth would you do this. that would defeat the purpose of a coast to coast overflow. Second. For something like that, I would use glass. Acrylic would work if you use a good amount of silicone on both sides of the acrylic sheets. Ther eis no epoxy made to bond acrylic to glass, only acrylic to acrylic. As for acrylic in sumps for baffles but, it has to be 1/4 acrylic for this to work. That is all I have ever used and have never once had an issue with it not holding and I have made several sumps. IMO
Old 12-30-2011, 05:25 PM
DIVERDOWN!!!'s Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48125
My Mood: Yeehaw

If you used silicone to bond acrylic to glass your just looking for trouble. It wont hold.

There is a liquid epoxy that you can put on the edges of the acrylic first and then silicone it, but very expensive.

Aquarium Warehouse put this epoxy on my overflows they made for me so I could attach them to my glass tank.

Anyone that tries to just use silicone to attach plastic base polymers to
glass-GOOD LUCK!
Old 12-30-2011, 05:31 PM
DIVERDOWN!!!'s Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48125
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIVERDOWN!!! View Post
If you used silicone to bond acrylic to glass your just looking for trouble. It wont hold.

There is a liquid epoxy that you can put on the edges of the acrylic first and then silicone it, but very expensive.

Aquarium Warehouse put this epoxy on my overflows they made for me so I could attach them to my glass tank.

Anyone that tries to just use silicone to attach plastic base polymers to
glass-GOOD LUCK!

Oh ya, I don't buy my aquariums any more I build them-so just a piece of advise

here's my link: 930 gal build!
Old 12-30-2011, 11:10 PM
flynnstone's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48092

wouldn't it be easier to silicone 3 small pieces of glass to the back of the tank like a shelf. it could then support the acrylic box.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:31 AM
Wuton's Tank Specs

The aquarium I am working on is a 34g Solana, by Current USA, I think. The back glass has a notch cut into it, I do not know what the reasoning behind doing this but it seems to work out in the case of installing a coast to coast. This skimmer box will be on the outside of the tank, but the 1”-2” drop in the glass will allow the water to flow into the skimmer box. I went with Reefone’s idea and drilled two holes to add structure to the whole assembly.

Now the coast to coast is not set up yet, I temporarily set it up with two overflows so I could get my livestock back into a tank, instead of being in buckets and the Rubbermaid container you see behind the aquarium. I do not know exactly if this will work or not, since it is all trial and error for me, but if it doesn’t then I can simply revert back to this setup which I know works.

I do have to say that if anyone has a Solana, it is not as easy to remove the back installed sump, as I thought it would be. I ended up having to take a saw-zall to it and ended up resealing the back glass because I cut the silicone, trying to get it out. It took the better part of the day.

I did the drilling and plumbing yesterday and just recently filled it with water, and placed all the livestock back in, I did end up losing my favorite fish though, he got sucked up into the powerhead I was using to recirculate the water. It does look like all the corals and inverts made it though, a little banged up but not too bad.

Tags
250, acrylic, aquarium, bio, buy, fish, fixture, glass, inverts, livestock, overflow, powerhead, rock, selling, skimmer, sump, tank, top, wall, wanted, water