Reducing water pressure from return nozzle - Michigan Reefers
Register Free
Michigan Reefers

Go Back   Michigan Reefers » General Interest Forums » Do It Yourself

Do It Yourself A forum for all those projects you want to build on your own.

Support Our Sponsors  Become a Sponsor

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Cubeaquaria21
  • 1 Post By Muskrat1967
Old 05-15-2017, 07:41 PM
Cubeaquaria21's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48111
Default Reducing water pressure from return nozzle

Okay hopefully I have this question in the right topic and if I don't please redirect me to a proper thread as most of you are undoubtably more familiar with this...my current tank is a 60g deep blue cube with overflow (1) return nozzle coming from my return pump...the pressure of water coming out of my return nozzle is a lot making it difficult for me to dial in my gyre 230...I find myself constantly moving my return nozzle in different directions attempting to cooperate with my gyre (also vise versa)..I guess my question is what could I do to lessen the flow out of my return..also looking to add a brs reactor and heard you can run the reactor off of your return pump...thank you to anyone who takes the time to read my question and I appreciate any help you will be!
LargeAngels likes this.
Members of Michigan Reefers have rated post as the most helpful. Skip right to it!
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Water pump head pressure? Crow Lighting, Filtration and Other Equipment 13 03-25-2012 12:11 PM
Return pump nozzle help? Fishhead Junkie Lighting, Filtration and Other Equipment 0 06-18-2008 02:58 PM
Rotating water return? fisherman Lighting, Filtration and Other Equipment 3 12-30-2007 04:02 PM
Reducing alk in water change water speedstar Water Chemistry 10 10-17-2006 08:23 PM
water pressure tlusko01 Advanced Topics 4 03-24-2005 01:33 AM

Old 05-17-2017, 11:43 AM
on the spot's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 49519

the force is the result of the plumbing. You want less force but the same flow rate you need to increase the size of the pipe. You could do this the obvious way, or simply add a tee and a second return nozzle.

A volume problem needs a valve on the return side of the pump.

The other scenario requires some more information. Size of return pump, size of reactor, and what you plan to run in that reactor. A small pump or a large or densely packed reactor will cause regret.

HTH
Old 05-18-2017, 12:02 PM
Premium Member

Rglauson's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 49301

Adding any valving or pressure drop on the inlet side of the pump will severely restrict the flow rate. You are much better off adding a "tee" and valve to the pump outlet. The valve would simply return a portion of the flow to the sump thereby reducing the flow to the display tank.

If you want the same flow rate to the display tank you will need to have multiple nozzles to distribute the same flow but through two or more nozzles which will reduce the discharge velocity at anyone nozzle

Old 05-18-2017, 05:48 PM
on the spot's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 49519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rglauson View Post
Adding any valving or pressure drop on the inlet side of the pump will severely restrict the flow rate...
I didn't see any mention of the inlet but since you brought it up don't do that. very bad. cats and dogs living together, biblical proportions and all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rglauson View Post
...return a portion of the flow to the sump thereby reducing the flow to the display tank...
Why would you want to push an open loop through the sump? Simply valving the output does the same thing.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:13 AM
Muskrat1967's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48101
Smile

I had same problem found a Hydor FLO Rotating deflector they work for me stopped all my flow problems $9 on line
drs2140 likes this.

Tags
660, ati, display, flow, hydor, inlet, large, outlet, plumbing, problem, pump, reactor, return, return pump, sump, tank