DIY denitrification filters - Page 2 - Michigan Reefers
Register Free
Michigan Reefers

Go Back   Michigan Reefers » General Interest Forums » Do It Yourself

Do It Yourself A forum for all those projects you want to build on your own.

Support Our Sponsors
Support Our Sponsors  Become a Sponsor
The Fish Factory  Moby Dick Pet Store 

Old 01-18-2008, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator
reef120's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48197
My Mood: Cool

For those of you that have built your own can you post pics and material you used and maybe before and after results. I am thinking of building one myself and wanted to get some planning ideas from some of you that built one already and where you purchased your material..

TO purchase one of these reactors are around $400+ so hopefully we can get some good plans and ideas to make an efficient one that works for much cheaper then that..
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RO filters Brad2296 New to the Hobby 4 01-28-2012 11:01 AM
gauging interest in lights, skimmer and denitrification units kodyboy Selling Forums 0 07-06-2011 04:58 PM
Sulphur denitrification BlayloJ Lighting, Filtration and Other Equipment 1 08-04-2009 05:42 PM
Magnum filters 330 and 350 also HOB filters d_link Selling Forums 5 02-20-2008 12:21 PM
Denitrification chamber mameloot Lighting, Filtration and Other Equipment 5 04-13-2005 11:08 AM

Old 01-18-2008, 01:33 AM
kingkill83's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48180
My Mood: Relaxed

and how, id be interested in running one of these, maybe to the extent of even having the return from the system run into the h.o.b. protein skimmer, and the entry part be powered by the return pump off of the wet/dry....this would efficientlly help the filtration process along from one of those. anyhow, if anyone is willing to bild me one of them, let me know the price, id love to get my hands on one and would even pay half up front to show im trustable with having somone build one for me.....im not too hands on when it comes to that kind of stuff- if i built somthing like that it would prolly end up going into my neighbors sink everytime they turned it on lol.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:16 PM
Premium Member

Harpo's Reef's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48067
My Mood: Mellow
Default Nitrate reactor

Here is my DIY nitrate reactor. The needle valve on top cost as much as the PVC. I used one gallon of sulfur media and then ARM to fill the remaining container. I used 3 inch PVC that was 24 inches long. the pump just accelerated the process. Eventually I will not even run it. I drilled and tapped a 1/4 npt thread in the bottom that you can't see. The pail is just to help stand it up right. This is a very slow process it will take several weeks to start working.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...0/L1000028.jpg

David
Old 01-18-2008, 08:27 PM
novi tony's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48183

A nitrate reactor functions like a calcium reactor.

You have one pump recirculating from the bottom up at a high rate.

You have another pump, gravity, or a dosing pump pushing/pulling new water in to replace the old water. You do this at a slower rate. Actually a drip, almost identical to how you would set up a calcium reactor.

I honestly don't see how you would get a good waterflow/turnover inside the chamber with either RO canisters or PVC. Plus you're gonna want to have it clear, and you're gonna want to have evenly dispersed flow from the bottom up all the way around the container. This isn't the kind of media you want dead spots in.

And another thing. PVC fittings, unions, uniseals, are not cheap these days. You can spend thirty bucks on pvc and fittings/valves very easily. And they aren't clear either. Dropping thirty bucks on a phosban reactor that is clear and is designed for this kind of flow seems like a no brainer to me. Toss on a couple 1/4'' bulkheads on the top, add a small maxijet, a aqualifter, and you're good to go. You could even run it on a gravity syphon from a higher body to a lower body.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:09 PM
bklynmet's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 46528

The thread that was linked showed refillable DI cannisters being used. Refillable DI cannisters are upflow. But they're just as pricey as a Phosban reactor.

The main benefit I see with using those cannister are the Gusset fitting and small tubing that makes regulating to a trickle easier... the phosban reactor has 1/2" barbs and regulating flow on them to a trickle is trickier...
Old 02-05-2008, 09:07 AM
Clownfish's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48323

Any updates? Pictures also?

I was thinking of buying a Korallin denitrate reactor $360.00 by trading/selling a bunch of stuff I have sitting around the house.

I saw these made out of Phosban reactors, and even one made out of a Coralife Calcium reactor.

I have an extra Coralife Ca reactor, and extra Deltec Media reactor, and a Phosban reactor. I have 3 RO canisters sitting empty also.

I'm trying to get some ideas before starting on any project. I'm not that handy either. It does seem like these are really great items to have, but without proper knowledge they can really skunk an entire tank.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Premium Member

Harpo's Reef's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48067
My Mood: Mellow
Default denitrator

The korallin is very nice I have one but for the money I would not buy it again knowing what I know now. My DIY cost me approx $25 plus the pump and the sulfur. I used to be in the 50's but now I'm at 5. It is really quite simple just takes patience.

David
Old 02-05-2008, 05:15 PM
novi tony's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48183

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynmet
The thread that was linked showed refillable DI cannisters being used. Refillable DI cannisters are upflow. But they're just as pricey as a Phosban reactor.

The main benefit I see with using those cannister are the Gusset fitting and small tubing that makes regulating to a trickle easier... the phosban reactor has 1/2" barbs and regulating flow on them to a trickle is trickier...
You use the 1/2'' barbs for the inlet/outlet for the recirc pump.

Then you drill and tap another 2, 1/4'' fittings in the lid to feed it and drain out the excess.

Tags
250, buy, calcium, calcium reactor, coralife, dead, filter, free, gallon, gph, huge, lighting, phosban, pump, pvc, reactor, remove, setup, skimmer, stand, sump, tank, testing, top, wanted