Canceled Upgrade Plans this week, ETSS Skimmer - Michigan Reefers
Register Free
Michigan Reefers

Go Back   Michigan Reefers » General Interest Forums » Lighting, Filtration and Other Equipment

Lighting, Filtration and Other Equipment This is an area for discussions about lighing,skimmers,filtration systems,RO units,Protein Skimmers and other equiptment.

Support Our Sponsors
Support Our Sponsors  Become a Sponsor
Tropicorium  Cherry Corals 

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By cmacy
  • 1 Post By cmacy
  • 1 Post By binford4000
Old 01-22-2013, 12:02 AM
cmacy's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48197
My Mood: Goofy
Default Canceled Upgrade Plans this week, ETSS Skimmer

Well, I sadly had to cut back based upon news that we have another child on the way.
I had planned on upgrading my sump from a current 55gal to a 180gal and even found one I wanted. Got the hammer from the wife as she told me to cancel my plans to upgrade my whole system and move a new 180 sump to the basement with my display tank on the main floor. Pretty bummed out currently, lol even though there is a lot to be excited about. I've also got a new E.T.S.S skimmer with dual downdrafts, really having a tough time getting it to work properly. I've spent 4 weeks trying to tune it and still not getting the results I'm after. Anyone have any experience with these Skimmers?
Members of Michigan Reefers have rated post as the most helpful. Skip right to it!
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB ETSS 600-900 skimmer blasterman3 Want to Buy 3 11-17-2011 05:25 PM
etss skimmer with mag 18 pump for cone skimmer jayj913 Trading Forums 0 06-06-2011 11:09 PM
etss skimmer binford4000 Selling Forums 0 09-28-2010 10:27 PM
ETSS 600 Skimmer zoakeeper Selling Forums 7 01-02-2009 02:59 PM
ETSS skimmer questions jimbo Lighting, Filtration and Other Equipment 3 11-21-2004 08:02 PM

Old 01-22-2013, 07:55 PM
amc78cj7's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48118

Congratulations! Better news than a new sump for sure. Make sure to thank your wife.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:31 PM
on the spot's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 49519

With small children about a sump in the basement could be considered a safety device. No worries about said child falling into the sump under the stand, all those electrical devices removed to the basement reducing the risks of shock - it's just good parenting.

and congratulations.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:30 PM
TomToro's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48381
My Mood: Amused

What model ETSS skimmer do you have? I have two 1400's and 2 800's. They can be tricky to get started, but a couple of musts are:

Proper number of balls in each chamber according to their website.

High pressure pump. I use an Iwaki 100 for the 1400 and an Iwaki 70 for the 800. I have used an Iwaki 55, but it was weak. It worked, but I like too much power so I can valve it down.

They take a long time to break in. Also the foam dies for hours when you put your hands in the water or something dies suddenly (anemone through the tunze).

They put out a lot of skim, though. And if you skim very wet, you have to keep an eye on your salinity.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:54 PM
leejr's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48612
My Mood: Innocent

I have the reef devil it works great, started skimming right away, but dry skim is a must. Wet skimming I would pull 2 gallons a day.

900gph pump
bio balls recommended for pump
Old 01-23-2013, 07:31 PM
cmacy's Tank Specs

Okay finally some folks with ETSS skimmers.
I have a 10 year old Reef Devil 750 with dual downdrafts. I didn't have any bio balls in the downdraft towers which I didn't realize was an issue until now. Also, I am running an 850gph pump on it. I upgraded to a 1350gph pump but apparently my waterline was too high (had water in the riser) and flooded the house. I'm back to the 850 pump, and I have now lowered my water line 1 1/2" below the top of the black box. This thing has never worked well for me. Anything else I'm missing or should know that might help more? Thanks much !
Old 01-23-2013, 07:37 PM
cmacy's Tank Specs

Default ETSS Reef Devil 750?

After repeated calls to AeTech about what model I have, they told me they think it's a reef devil 750. Needs 1" bio balls in both towers all the to 4" from the top of the towers. Should be on a Mag drive 7-12. I ordered the bio balls and I hope I can get it working well.
Attached Thumbnails
Canceled Upgrade Plans this week, ETSS Skimmer-my-skimmer.jpg
TomToro likes this.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:15 AM
TomToro's Tank Specs

You'll get another break in period now that you have the bioballs until they get a film on them. You should also see a lot more small bubbles in the first clear section right away.
When I break in my ETSS skimmers, I initially put the water line about a half inch above the black mixing box. I don't see a gate valve on the output. This is how I adjust it.

It stays like this for sometimes a week or two until one day it starts to climb pretty fast and you back off a quarter turn on the gate valve until it stays where you want it.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:26 AM
leejr's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48612
My Mood: Innocent

I have a single downdraft, I run it about 1-1 1/2" down too, I removed the valve and run it with just an elbow to direct micro bubble up.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:46 PM
cmacy's Tank Specs

I've got a gate valve on it. I'll work to get it adjusted. Thanks for the help here!
TomToro likes this.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:50 PM
cmacy's Tank Specs

Just got the bio balls direct from AeTech. Anyone use the fishing line method to enable them to be pulled back out easily?
Old 01-25-2013, 07:33 PM
cmacy's Tank Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomToro View Post
You'll get another break in period now that you have the bioballs until they get a film on them. You should also see a lot more small bubbles in the first clear section right away.
When I break in my ETSS skimmers, I initially put the water line about a half inch above the black mixing box. I don't see a gate valve on the output. This is how I adjust it.

It stays like this for sometimes a week or two until one day it starts to climb pretty fast and you back off a quarter turn on the gate valve until it stays where you want it.
I haven't noticed very small bubbles in the riser yet, after adding these bio balls into the mix. I also strung the bio balls on a fishing line so I could replace them eventually with ease. Should they just be tossed in there, or will it hurt to put them on fishing line you think? Could this low murmur water movement in the riser indicate my pump is too small or inadequate? I'm using a Deep Blue Triton 3. rated at 850GPH. Thanks for the help with this. I inherited this old skimmer and they don't make it anymore, so getting it to work is a challenge for me due to the lack of manual, etc.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:25 AM
TomToro's Tank Specs

Sorry, just saw this. The low movement in the first riser can be two things. One, the pump is too small and two, it's just not broken in yet. When I clean mine, there's not much movement either and no small bubbles until the film begins to coat and then it starts with the small bubbles climbing up the riser.

The fishing line method is a great idea that I haven't heard of. Also, I don't think you'll have to actually replace those balls for a long time. All you need to do is rinse them in hot water, use a brush to get the organic crud off and soak overnight in Vinegar to get the calcium buildup off. I do this about once a year or if I notice a major reduction in skim. And then there will be another break in period like when they were new.

Not familiar with the Triton pump, sorry.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:15 PM
binford4000's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48336
My Mood: Twisted

850 gh is not enough for an ETSS skimmer. You will need a pressure rated pump. The blue line 40hd would be a nice match for that skimmer. Down draft skimmers require allot of water. If you look on the ae web page you will find recommended pumps for the skimmer. They are very nice skimmers but require large pressure pumps and with introduction of bubble plates and cone body's they have become a little outdated which is why it is hard to find good info.
TomToro likes this.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:01 PM
cmacy's Tank Specs

I placed a larger 1050gph pump on the skimmer. Still don't believe it's a pressure pump. I'm not quite sure what are pressure pumps and what are just flow pumps? Is a Mag drive a pressure pump? ETSS recommends a mag drive.

I have some collection of foam and bubbles gathering in the riser, but it's not producing any skimate. The foam only gets as high as about 5" from the collection cup. The water level is sitting at about 7 1/2". It's 1 1/2" below the top of the base unit. I've read the ETSS manual and tunning guide about 8 times front to back and I'm having a ton of trouble with this thing. Should I call it quits and buy a new skimmer? The only thing I can think to do is lower the water level more and hope it start foaming everywhere..

Tags
anemone, current, device, dual, etss, eye, hammer, iwaki, new sump, pump, reef, safety, shock, skimmer, skimmers, stand, sump, system, tank, tunze, upgrade, upgrading, wanted, water, whole system