BashSea Protein Skimmer - Michigan Reefers
Register Free
Michigan Reefers

Go Back   Michigan Reefers » General Interest Forums » Lighting, Filtration and Other Equipment

Lighting, Filtration and Other Equipment This is an area for discussions about lighing,skimmers,filtration systems,RO units,Protein Skimmers and other equiptment.

Support Our Sponsors
Support Our Sponsors  Become a Sponsor
Premium Aquatics  Moby Dick Pet Store 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By reeferdale
Old 01-26-2013, 03:12 PM
Higgyndee's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48768
Default BashSea Protein Skimmer

I have a BashSea protein skimmer that I purchased used. It does a good job but I have been looking for some sort of "owners manual" for it and not having any luck. For the most part, I would like to know how to adjust the water level in the column and what maintenance needs done besides cleaning the collection cup. Just wandering if any of you could help me out. Thanks
Members of Michigan Reefers have rated post 992159 as the most helpful. Skip right to it!
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bashsea Blu Demon Skimmer $150 buckel2 Selling Forums 1 09-25-2011 07:52 PM
8x24 bashsea twisted skimmer - new DBOSHIBBY Trading Forums 6 02-17-2011 10:00 AM
Bashsea Twisted protein skimmer 8X30 with pump and waste collector reef tech Selling Forums 3 12-31-2010 10:50 PM
Anyone own a Bashsea skimmer? BoBilo Lighting, Filtration and Other Equipment 15 12-03-2010 11:43 PM
Bashsea 6x24 twisted skimmer DBOSHIBBY Trading Forums 6 08-30-2010 03:59 PM

Old 01-28-2013, 07:35 PM
Higgyndee's Tank Specs

I guess the search for information continues
Old 01-28-2013, 07:41 PM
mf2055's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 49534
My Mood: Fine

you can start at bashsea.com
Old 01-29-2013, 07:01 PM
Higgyndee's Tank Specs

Looked there and no info on maintenance of the skimmer. Even filled out a request for information and no reply. Oh well, I will figure it out.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:47 PM
mf2055's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 49534
My Mood: Fine

Skimmer cleaning in general: you clean the collection cup when it is half full or more... don't clean the inside of the skimmer body more than once every 6 months unless it gets clogged really bad. Keeping the slime layer on the inside will keep it working better. You could do yourself a favor by removing all pumps once every 3-8 weeks and soaking them in vinegar for 5-12 hours. To accomplish this without going through buckets of vinegar I find putting the pump into a gallon zip lock with 1 cup of vinegar and then submerging them in a bucket of water full enough to cover the pump with vinegar but not enough to fill the bag with water. I find doing this with all your powerheads will extend their life a lot, espeically if you dose calcium higher than 380. running them for a few hours in a bucket of vinegar every few months to a year is not a bad idea either. Just be sure you rinse them very well with freshwater before placeing back in your tank....

NEVER LEAVE your skimmer running unattended if you add any medication to your tank. Most are not as reef safe as they claim and almost all of them will make a skimmer explode like a volcano. I know people that have had 20+ gallons of "skimmate" on the floor from adding meds to their tank. If you are lucky you will make that mistake less than twice in your saltwater life.

1 members found this post helpful.
top Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2013, 08:32 PM
Vmc1717's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48035
Default Skimmer

You can contact Steve Bashsea at
sbashi123@comcast.net

Does it have a gate valve? If not then I believe you can't adjust the height, maybe a bigger pump. Alot of his skimmer do not come with gate valves. Good luck
Old 01-29-2013, 08:33 PM
MatroxD's Tank Specs

Zip Code: trans
Default Re: BashSea Protein Skimmer

From the last time I saw a Bashea, it seemed to be mostly collection cup and add mentioned above, just pump maintenance. It depends on the injection method though.

If it's needle/pin wheel them you have venturi and motor, if it's like the ev series where it has an air valve, then you have to keep that clean also.

It looks a lot like my old eV 120 by aquaC but worth the twist column, I am not sure whether that is submerged or what. If you have the collection/waste Chamber, just do yourself a favor and be sure to clean it with vinegar. The collection stuff seems to smell extra bad to me at least.

Their (Bashsea) stuff seems to come with a minimum, if any documentation. I had a sump and now have a media reactor, neither came with any sort of documentation and both were new. I searched also, but in the end, just guessed it out.

A skimmer is different though, and you wouldthink they would include some instructions with that.

Sent from Note 2 via Tapatalk
Attached Thumbnails
BashSea Protein Skimmer-uploadfromtaptalk1359509609946.jpg
Old 01-29-2013, 09:26 PM
Higgyndee's Tank Specs

Thanks for the information. I knew someone would have some insight on this. I knew about the cup from past skimmers but was not sure if there was anything else. I did find what is probably the air valve inside the chamber right above the twisted section on the inlet side. I cleaned that. I do not have a ball valve on the return side, but do have a pump rated higher than the recommended flow that is closed slightly. I guess by opening that up it would possibly raise the water level. I will try that. Again thanks for the input!
Old 01-29-2013, 09:27 PM
Higgyndee's Tank Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmc1717 View Post
sbashi123@comcast.net

Does it have a gate valve? If not then I believe you can't adjust the height, maybe a bigger pump. Alot of his skimmer do not come with gate valves. Good luck
I will contact Steve, thanks for the e-mail address
Old 01-29-2013, 10:36 PM
reeferdale's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48357
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmc1717 View Post
sbashi123@comcast.net

email Steve, he helped me with mine. I agree the lack of documentation for the skimmer is a major flaw. Other than that the skimmer is pretty nice. As stated, you need to have a gate valve on the inlet line, that is how I control the water level on mine (8x30), I guess you could also put one on the discharge line too. Also, when you do clean it, there is a beckett valve for the air mixing. The small flange where your water inlet line goes. Loosen the thumb screws and take the top flange off. You will see a black tube, carefully rock/twist this and the entire beckett valve will come out. you need to clean this. The beckett has 2 O rings, one on top one on bottom, remove these and the beckett will split in half length wise. Be careful there is a small piece that can/will fall out. clean any debris and put it back together being careful to put the small piece back in the proper position.

That is a about it. This skimmer is really maintenance free. I had a problem where it would quit producing bubbles after a week or two. I would take the beckett out and blast it with water to clean it. I actually though it was broken or had a crack in it because I did not know it actually was 2 pieces hald together by the O rings. Once I opened and cleaned the beckett, it has run non-stop for the past 3 months. I clean it when I absolutely have to, it gets real nasty in there and it still keeps fractioning and making foam. The only other thing is to make sure you have a big pump for mine I am running a MAG18 and it is doing the job. (Steve recommended using a MAG24 for the 8"x30" model)

I can't get a picture to upload here for some reason. Here is a link to pictures of a Beckett valve

beckett injector - Google Search

[IMG][/IMG]
FlintTownReaper likes this.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:25 PM
Higgyndee's Tank Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeferdale View Post
email Steve, he helped me with mine. I agree the lack of documentation for the skimmer is a major flaw. Other than that the skimmer is pretty nice. As stated, you need to have a gate valve on the inlet line, that is how I control the water level on mine (8x30), I guess you could also put one on the discharge line too. Also, when you do clean it, there is a beckett valve for the air mixing. The small flange where your water inlet line goes. Loosen the thumb screws and take the top flange off. You will see a black tube, carefully rock/twist this and the entire beckett valve will come out. you need to clean this. The beckett has 2 O rings, one on top one on bottom, remove these and the beckett will split in half length wise. Be careful there is a small piece that can/will fall out. clean any debris and put it back together being careful to put the small piece back in the proper position.

That is a about it. This skimmer is really maintenance free. I had a problem where it would quit producing bubbles after a week or two. I would take the beckett out and blast it with water to clean it. I actually though it was broken or had a crack in it because I did not know it actually was 2 pieces hald together by the O rings. Once I opened and cleaned the beckett, it has run non-stop for the past 3 months. I clean it when I absolutely have to, it gets real nasty in there and it still keeps fractioning and making foam. The only other thing is to make sure you have a big pump for mine I am running a MAG18 and it is doing the job. (Steve recommended using a MAG24 for the 8"x30" model)

I can't get a picture to upload here for some reason. Here is a link to pictures of a Beckett valve

beckett injector - Google Search

[IMG][/IMG]

Reeferdale, thank You for this information. This is what I was missing. I found the beckett valve and thought the same thing about the crack. I flushed it out as much as I could but I am sure by taking it apart it can be cleaned much better. Thanks for the link and the picture, everything makes sense now.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:06 PM
iyachtuxivm's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48532
My Mood: Dead

I had one of these, great skimmers. Takes alot of head pressure to run correctly though. Steve told me to take the beckett out monthly take it apart and clean it. Other than cleaning the collection cup and the neck to the collection cup thats it. You really shouldnt clean the body at all.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:13 PM
Higgyndee's Tank Specs

I took the Beckett valve out last night, took it apart, and cleaned it. There was quite a bit of gunk in it. It seems to be working better now. I want to thank all who helped me out on this. You all are great.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:51 PM
FlintTownReaper's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48506

So glad i found this post.. id cleaned the beckett injector already but not known it comes apart.. It had a few sticks of macroalgae stuck in it that had me clogged up. Thanks people!!

Tags
bashsea, buckets, calcium, clean, cleaning, freshwater, gallon, job, macroalgae, par, protein, protein skimmer, pump, pumps, reactor, reef, return, saltwater, search, skimmer, skimmers, sump, tank, water