Running return right next to overflow box - Michigan Reefers
Register Free
Michigan Reefers

Go Back   Michigan Reefers » General Interest Forums » Lighting, Filtration and Other Equipment

Lighting, Filtration and Other Equipment This is an area for discussions about lighing,skimmers,filtration systems,RO units,Protein Skimmers and other equiptment.

Support Our Sponsors  Become a Sponsor

Old 05-16-2017, 09:28 PM
madeyemary's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48317
Default Running return right next to overflow box

I am setting up a 30 gallon half moon tank for my seahorse with a 10 gallon sump. I had to drill on one side of the tank because I am plumbing through the wall and that is how the beams run. I am wondering if I can plumb the return and overflow right next to each other and have the return right next to the overflow box. Is there any issue with this? I know the flow will be one-sided but I will compensate with powerheads.
Members of Michigan Reefers have rated post as the most helpful. Skip right to it!
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Overflow box and return pump stevo4535 Selling Forums 8 07-04-2010 01:37 PM
skimmer return pump and overflow box ByronREEFER12 Want to Buy 4 01-09-2009 11:45 AM
lg external return pump and overflow box fishgeek88 Want to Buy 7 01-16-2008 04:33 PM
overflow/return box 05redrex Lighting, Filtration and Other Equipment 0 05-26-2006 05:58 PM
WTB Overflow box/return pump xReeferMadnessx Want to Buy 9 04-13-2006 10:10 PM

Old 05-17-2017, 11:15 AM
drs2140's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48103

I don't think so, that is how every RR aquarium is made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2017, 11:33 AM
on the spot's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 49519

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeyemary View Post
I am setting up a 30 gallon half moon tank for my seahorse...I know the flow will be one-sided but I will compensate with powerheads.
Is this your first seahorse rodeo?

At first blush that seems like way more flow than they'll appreciate. 10 -15x your volume is on the 300 to 450 gph.

Instead of a powerhead you might do better with a HOB filter - a big one that you can dial down. It'll break the surface for better gas exchange.

GL, and HTH

Old 05-17-2017, 07:35 PM
madeyemary's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48317

This is not my first seahorse rodeo. I've had mine for 3 years and I'm just setting up a new tank for her. Contrary to what people understand, seahorses adapt to high flow areas, as long as there are low flow areas and plenty of hitching spots. I've had a higher overflow and am now downgrading to a nano overflow from glassholes. Thanks for the feedback guys!

Tags
30 gallon, 300, alk, aquarium, drill, filter, flow, gallon, gph, half moon, hob, issue, nano, overflow, overflow box, plumbing, powerheads, return, seahorse, sump, tank, wall