best reef filter??? - Michigan Reefers
Register Free
Michigan Reefers

Go Back   Michigan Reefers » General Interest Forums » Lighting, Filtration and Other Equipment

Lighting, Filtration and Other Equipment This is an area for discussions about lighing,skimmers,filtration systems,RO units,Protein Skimmers and other equiptment.

Support Our Sponsors
Support Our Sponsors  Become a Sponsor
Tropicorium   

Old 09-07-2007, 09:41 PM
dragon174's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48042
My Mood: Relaxed
Question best reef filter???

so.... what is the best filter for a reef tank?

sump and skimmer?

sump, skimmer, refugium?

feel free to let me know other filter options.
Members of Michigan Reefers have rated post as the most helpful. Skip right to it!
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Euro Reef protein skimmer Filter socks and holders bostonpop Selling Forums 9 04-18-2012 10:13 PM
Euro-reef and filter socks johnangelo Reef Discussion 2 04-30-2008 11:44 AM
nano cube reef filter ? paingod Lighting, Filtration and Other Equipment 2 07-06-2005 03:23 PM
WTB cheap filter for 22 gal reef tank. Turtle Selling Forums 7 06-30-2004 10:09 AM

Old 09-07-2007, 10:41 PM
ereefer's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48336

Well, sump, skimmer, fuge is the best way to do it... well IMO... but I don't have any of it and I do fine..... I have no SPS corals though also only zoas and ricordia
Old 09-07-2007, 10:50 PM
bklynmet's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 46528

well, think of a sump as added water volume space... it's not a filter...

a fuge (short for refugium) can act as one - depending on what you have in there.... most people use some macro algae when utilizing a fuge to help remove/convert nitrates and phosphates naturally.. you can have a sump that has a fuge in it...

my opinion is that you need Live rock.... LR acts like a biological filter... it's what makes a lot of reef aquariums successful nowadays...

then there is a protein skimmer... it's quasi mechanical filtration as tiny air bubbles attract charged proteins and bring it up to the collection cup where they are removed...

you can put a skimmer in a sump as well- so it's not taking up space in the display tank and avoids leaking to the floor because the skimmer is in the sump itself...

you could easily end up spending more for LR than on a skimmer - depending on tank size, if buying used or from another reefer, etc.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:44 PM
Tide2Water's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 49327
Default The more the merrier!

sump, skimmer, refugium, Including mechanical filtration in the sump before the skimmer. In aquaculture the magic number for a skimmer is 30um. While it will catch larger particles, this would reduce its efficiency to remove proteins and small suspended solids that we designate it remove. IDEALY a fuge should be above the display tank (and larger than it) and gravity flow back in to it, but this isn't neccessary to reap the most popular benefits that most reef keepers associate with them. A sump isn't neccessary but I would definatly call it an asset. Remember that the good "stuff" you remove by skimming and such should be supplemented. Just my $0.02

Tide
Old 09-08-2007, 05:25 PM
dragon174's Tank Specs

i have always run a skimmer on all of my reef tanks and even my FO tanks. one thing i never understood is why use a skimmer on a reef if you have to add back the supplements that the skimmer pulls out?
Old 09-09-2007, 05:31 PM
Tide2Water's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 49327
Default because...?

Unfortunately nobody has come up with a selective skimmer that will only remove exactly what we program it to! It doesn't seem logical from that perspective does it? my limited answer is...because of all the other stuff the skimmer pulls out...maybe somebody will come along with some more insight on the topic.

Tide
Old 09-09-2007, 08:48 PM
tamableanimal's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48726

It basically comes down to a skimmer removes excessive proteins in the tank. The benefits for most tanks outway the negative of having to replenish trace elements. IMO
Rich
Old 09-09-2007, 10:12 PM
fishdoctorvince's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48103

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon174
so.... what is the best filter for a reef tank?

sump and skimmer?

sump, skimmer, refugium?

feel free to let me know other filter options.
all of the above hands down
Old 09-09-2007, 11:29 PM
norton

Opinions are like,well you know,everybody has one.After a break from this great hobby I wanted to see what new systems were out there and where technology has taken it.After a few long days of searches and seeing what was out there I started looking at all the new coral out there and kept seeing the names steve tyree and mike palleta on alot of the high end stuff and started searching these guys and what they were using.It seemed they were both using ecosystem filtration which didnt use a skimmer at all.I built my own refugium three inches taller than the tank and same width and installed behind the tank to overflow into it.Other than weekly water changes the tank takes care of itself.It has only been set-up for seven months now but so far so good.Was cheap and saved me more money for corals.I might have just gotten lucky.Just wanted to give another option,good luck with your choice.
norm
Old 09-10-2007, 09:52 AM
dragon174's Tank Specs

norton... your story sounds a lot like mine. after being out for a while, i too wanted to see how things had progressed. do you have any pictures of your set up that you can share with me?

Tags
algae, corals, filter, filtration, free, fuge, live, live rock, macro, macro algae, overflow, par, protein, protein skimmer, reef, refugium, remove, rock, skimmer, sps, sump, tank, tanks, wanted, zoas