ATT U-verse vs WOW, Comcast - Michigan Reefers
Register Free
Michigan Reefers

Go Back   Michigan Reefers » Off-Topic Discussions » The Lounge

The Lounge A forum for members to hang out and enjoy some discussion that is not reef related.

Support Our Sponsors
Support Our Sponsors  Become a Sponsor
Tropicorium  The Fish Factory 

Old 10-13-2008, 07:36 PM
Fishhead Junkie's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48073
My Mood: Hungover
Default ATT U-verse vs WOW, Comcast

Well, they have finally got the ATT U-verse boxes at both ends of our street for the sub and are doing the door to door thing signing people up. It definitely sounds better than WOW(which is what I have now). Anyone currently have U-verse and have some opinions on it?? Sounds like alot more HD channels, quicker more up to date technology, and most importantly...its CHEAPER for the bundle package than I'm paying right now with WOW.

I've already signed up but figured I'd throw it out there for some comments and anything I should ask for during install or regarding packages.

Steve
Members of Michigan Reefers have rated post as the most helpful. Skip right to it!
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AT&T U-Verse anybody have it! labman The Lounge 23 06-25-2010 09:27 PM
Comcast Mail... fishtal The Lounge 28 03-16-2009 11:39 AM
AT+T U-verse install today!! Fishhead Junkie The Lounge 20 12-21-2008 04:57 PM
Anyone have AT&T U-verse? PaintGuru The Lounge 2 07-25-2008 07:08 PM
Seio verse Tunze joltnjoe New to the Hobby 23 12-22-2006 12:32 PM

Old 10-13-2008, 07:48 PM
Poseidon's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48473
My Mood: Amused

I used to work for SBC, which bought At&t, and at the time the DSL the we offered was asymmetrical, meaning upload was way slower then download, which is fine for most users. What are the upload/download advertised speeds?
Old 10-13-2008, 07:57 PM
ardo_ski's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48439

Signed up for install Nov 6 with a $75 savings over Comcast. The reviews I read and people I've talked to that have it say you will not believe how fast the internet is compared to what cable claims. The DVR has the ability to play back on any of the TV's you have hooked up. Also you can manage your recordings from the internet.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:58 PM
ardo_ski's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon
I used to work for SBC, which bought At&t, and at the time the DSL the we offered was asymmetrical, meaning upload was way slower then download, which is fine for most users. What are the upload/download advertised speeds?

It's fiber optic and not your traditional DSL.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:03 PM
tankdude's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48317
Default U-Verse

Anybody know if this is avalible in Shelby Twp?
Old 10-13-2008, 08:11 PM
softiegirl's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48044
My Mood: Amazed

just go to the att website and type in your zip code, we just got it in macomb. i will be switching soon, always go for the best deals these days!
Old 10-13-2008, 08:22 PM
XSiVE's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48328
My Mood: Relaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardo_ski
It's fiber optic and not your traditional DSL.
Actually, It's still DSL.. It's fiber to the street corner, then down to the houses it's a very high-speed DSL line(50mbps or so, i think). When positioned like that, it makes just about everyone within 1/4 mile of the CO, allows for super-fast speeds..

EVERYTHING runs through the same line, just like cable.. it's all TCP/IP based, and you will occasionally get a bit of compression noise if you're on the phone during peak times since you're sharing bandwidth with every TV in your house, and the computer.

I was looking into it heavily, both of my neighbors have it, I was going to get it, except I cant use my home-brew DVR with their system so I decided against it.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:36 PM
Poseidon's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48473
My Mood: Amused

Fiber ROCKS!
Old 10-13-2008, 08:49 PM
Fishhead Junkie's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48073
My Mood: Hungover

I am going to call and get more specifics but as it stands right now, I'll be getting tv/phone/internet for $129 for the 1st year, with all premium channels, HD service, 1 DVR box and 2 other boxes which like was already mentioned, you can playback anything copied on DVR on any of the other boxes. I'll have to read into that, not something I'll do for myself but if I can ship the kids into the basement and let them watch some copied Spongebob while I watch some MMA upstairs, I'm all in. The price will go up to $145 after 1 year if I decide to keep all the premium channels. You still get all the premium channels ON DEMAND but you lose the actual premium channels to watch. Right now I'm paying $140 for basic HD service and just the Starz/Encore package. This sounds like a heck of a better deal...BYE BYE WOW!! They'll probably get me with some tax surcharge crap...but I'll call up, threaten to not go with the service and get something waived for a year or so, it always works out in the end.

Steve

Tags
corner, ups