My first "monster" aquarium - Page 2 - Michigan Reefers
Register Free
Michigan Reefers

Go Back   Michigan Reefers » General Interest Forums » Members Tanks

Members Tanks This is a forum where members can show off their tanks & tank progress.

Support Our Sponsors
Support Our Sponsors  Become a Sponsor
Tropicorium  Premium Aquatics 

Old 03-03-2012, 09:17 AM
Olunds's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 49460
My Mood: Amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by barav17 View Post
I agree with the others, in having the entire 90g as your sump and put it behind the tank if possible. don't forget to ascess the over a ton of weight on the floor and add extra floor support. I think most of us mix the salt in food grade drums. On the bulkhead issue, I would recommed the sch 80's for the bottom of your monster tank and once you cement your first piece of pvc into the bulkhead you will have a handle to hold on to to tighten the bulkheads up. also use a little non toxic silicone grease on the rubber washers before installation.
I own a manufactured home and will be putting the tank directly along one of the steel I-beams that run under the home. Also will be bricking up to the I-beam to support that so it doesnt bend over time. I guess if I had a big drum I could keep it in the shed and bring it in to mix salt one day a week I could get the wife on board with that. Thanks alot for the advice and I will look into the sch 80's right now.
Members of Michigan Reefers have rated post as the most helpful. Skip right to it!
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Blue Freckled Monster" joefish Freshwater and Terrariums 6 12-04-2009 12:26 PM
i need a little help with a 3/4"Swing Check Valve Union Clear/PVC Aquarium .75" blammomike Lighting, Filtration and Other Equipment 3 01-12-2009 09:01 AM
Blue Life "Water Colors" Aquarium Background ecoreef2 Lighting, Filtration and Other Equipment 0 04-02-2008 11:05 AM
Grand Valley Aquarium Club "Garage Sale" benjavan Announce Frag Meets & Swaps 3 09-12-2007 05:47 AM

Old 03-03-2012, 11:15 AM
on the spot's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 49519

The 90 may fit under the tank, but can you still reach into it easily? I think it's too tall to use for a sump directly under the tank. Getting the skimmer in and out, reaching your daughters toy that "some how" got in there,...I'd post it for sale or trade for some 50 breeders. JMO.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:45 AM
Olunds's Tank Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by on the spot View Post
The 90 may fit under the tank, but can you still reach into it easily? I think it's too tall to use for a sump directly under the tank. Getting the skimmer in and out, reaching your daughters toy that "some how" got in there,...I'd post it for sale or trade for some 50 breeders. JMO.
Ill have to look into it. The new stand is 36" tall the 90 is 22 or 24 I forget..
Old 03-03-2012, 12:27 PM
DereksReef's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 49419
My Mood: Worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olunds View Post
Ill have to look into it. The new stand is 36" tall the 90 is 22 or 24 I forget..
36" tall minus the 3-4" for bracing on top and bottom gives you around 32" and a 90g is 24" tall. That only gives you 8" of clearance. And under a stand that is not much. You have to be able to more or less crawl under your tank, and reach your arm into the sump. I'm guessing your forearm is about 16" and that leaves you 8" shy of the bottom... now you have to get the rest of your arm in there to reach the bottom and so your shoulder would have to be between the top of the sump, and the bottom of your tank. It's quite the squeeze! you would be much better off using a system of smaller (shorter) tanks in the bottom.

I like to mix my water in a 55g tank. mark the tank at an even 50g of water, then fill it to that point and add a 50g sack of salt... no measuring needed! mix well, and then do a water change. Make it easy as pie

If you want to go the 50g breeder route for sumps, I have a few I am selling for cheap. they are already drilled in the center back and might make good sumps if you are interested.

Otherwise I have a plethora of other tanks and equipment you could use to setup the tank.

Do you have a washroom in your house? maybe a furnace room??? If you have a few feet of space to spare, you can set up a nice little sump room, and make it 1,000,000X easier! If not, it is still very doable, just have to be prepared to spend a chunk of time on the ground...

You have a sweet tank, and could do a lot of cool stuff in there. Just have to take your time and plan it right. Do you want any kind of coral in there, or just a fish only? With your fish list, there is a large assortment of coral you could keep, but most small fish, and inverts would likely be out of the question. I can see a juv pinnate batfish looking cool in there. But that's only if you want to keep it fish only...

Scott has an amazing setup, if you can find some time to go over there, he will leave you awe inspired

Keep us updated, I love following big tank threads!
Old 03-03-2012, 04:55 PM
Olunds's Tank Specs

Thanks. I really dont have room for a sump any where else unless the wife lets me plumb it through a wall into our coat closet. Which probably wont happen so I will need to figure out something to keep it under the stand.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:15 PM
DereksReef's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 49419
My Mood: Worried

Coat closets are perfect!

Just look at your wife in the eyes, and with real big eyes say "but, but baby..." and blink a few times. That always works. FOR MY WIFE!!!

Just tell her that you need it, and explain why. If you have somewhere else for the coat, you should be all good! You can even throw in a frag tank and fuge if you plan it right.

I can show you how to utilize the most amount of space if she is cool with letting you use the closet.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:15 PM
Olunds's Tank Specs

Will these work or should I stick to the ABS model. Tank is already drilled.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:24 PM
jamey1010's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48390

Quote:

I'd go with these....

The Heavy duty style

PVC and ABS bulkhead fittings - PlumbingSupply.com

[url=http://www.plumbingsupply.com/bulkhead.html[/url]
Old 03-04-2012, 12:23 AM
tanglovers's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 49464

I agree with what others have said, 22-24" is too tall for a sump. Mine are 16-18" tall and I love them.

Big thing to remember is the amount of water that will flow down in a power outage / shutting of the return pump and have that much room in the sump.

Assuming your tank drains 2" in the event of a power outage that would be 15 gallons roughly. That is just guessing, the exact end setup could change this (IE - your return lines go down below the surface a bunch and the siphon stop hole is plugged etc).

Taking the extra time and money to make the setup easy to work on and maintain will be what makes or breaks a setup IME.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:14 AM
Olunds's Tank Specs

I have decieded against using the 90 already. I will continue to look for some shorter tank/s. I would love to stop by and check out your set up, ask a few questions, and leave inspired for my new tank!
Old 03-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Olunds's Tank Specs

Anyone with big tank experience locally available to stop by sometime in the next 10 days ( I can pay for your gas if need be)? I need an opinion on the stand itself I havent been very impressed by it from the begining. If I need to build a new one it will slow me down on the build but I in no way want to wreck my tank or house.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:04 PM
on the spot's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 49519

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamey1010 View Post
I'd go with these....

The Heavy duty style

PVC and ABS bulkhead fittings - PlumbingSupply.com

[url=http://www.plumbingsupply.com/bulkhead.html[/url]
Those are both schedule 80 fittings -

How big are the holes, and are you planning to drill them larger if needed?

personally I wouldn't loose any sleep over the bulkhead - get the one that fits the holes you have and move forward. Schedule 40 (the less expensive ones) have been in use for ages, and are perfectly fine.

But measure your holes first.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:54 AM
Olunds's Tank Specs

I would rather not re-drill any of the holes. I picked up ABS style for all the 3/4" returns. Calling around town to a few plumbing supply places to see if I can find the 1.5" drains locally.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Olunds's Tank Specs

Found a 75g acrylic sump on craiglist (again) with the dimensions of 60" x 18" x 16" think that will be perfect. I am going to take some pictures later of stand because one corner of the tank is about 1/16" off the stand. Would placing 1/2" foam under the whole tank help?
Old 03-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Olunds's Tank Specs

Reef Octopus 8 Anyone using this skimmer?

I ordered my bulkheads from BRS and they should be in tomorrow or thursday. Even better is I finally have a plan in place to get them installed correctly. Heres to hoping the holes are predrilled for schedule 40 and not 80 or I will need to re-order the bulkheads.

Tags
430, acrylic, aquarium, baby, big tank, canopy, corner, drain, fish, fowlr, gallon, light, lionfish, live, naso, par, puffer, pump, questions, sump, tang, tank, tanks, water, water changes