McPuff's new 300DD - Page 4 - Michigan Reefers
Register Free
Michigan Reefers

Go Back   Michigan Reefers » General Interest Forums » Members Tanks

Members Tanks This is a forum where members can show off their tanks & tank progress.

Support Our Sponsors  Become a Sponsor

Like Tree16Likes
Old 04-19-2017, 12:19 PM
McPuff's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48170
My Mood: Inspired

Thanks!

I haven't done anything to those Marine Pure blocks actually. I'm not sure if they need to be rinsed or not. But I have seen an improvement in algae control once I added them. My stance is that they work very well. I'll have to do some research to see if they require cleaning/rinsing but I think I remember seeing they do not. They may begin to break down after some time though but it may take a couple years. I'll share whatever experience I have with them... so far it's all positive!
Members of Michigan Reefers have rated post as the most helpful. Skip right to it!
Old 04-19-2017, 12:40 PM
Copperband86's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48038
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
Thanks!

I haven't done anything to those Marine Pure blocks actually. I'm not sure if they need to be rinsed or not. But I have seen an improvement in algae control once I added them. My stance is that they work very well. I'll have to do some research to see if they require cleaning/rinsing but I think I remember seeing they do not. They may begin to break down after some time though but it may take a couple years. I'll share whatever experience I have with them... so far it's all positive!
All I've seen on the site was this:

Periodic backwashing or rinsing using tank water is suggested every 3 months or as necessary. Do not use tap water as it can kill the beneficial bacteria already in the media.

So I guess take that for what it's worth. But I may give it a try. Sounds like a lot of people are having good luck with their water parameters using them.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:55 PM
bluerexy's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48072
My Mood: Cheerful

I second the blocks. Add a ton of surface area for bacteria. I use them in my tank and it's helped control of some my early algae issues.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:35 AM
McPuff's Tank Specs

Small update - I cemented the necessary parts to attach the RO reservoir to the saltwater mixing container. I decided not to affix the tubing permanently as I won't be making saltwater every day or even every week. But it's going to be a very easy solution that simply requires putting a pump under the RO reservoir and hooking up some clear tubing to barb fittings. Plug in the pump and we're golden! Tonight I'll fill t he saltwater tank for the first time... I wanted to give a day for the cement to cure and get the fumes out of the tank/fittings/etc.

I'll take some pics and a video as well.

On a sad note (for me), I noticed a few spots on my pyroferus tang just a couple days ago. Not sure what it is but I'm not too happy about it. As you are aware I've been really careful when adding my new fish. So it's possible that there was already a pathogen in the tank. Yesterday it didn't seem that the fish were any worse off... no spreading. I fed a LOT of nori w/garlic and will continue to do so on a daily basis. I'll also minimize the meats. Also feeding spectrum pellets regularly. Otherwise, all the fish are acting normally and eating a ton. So I'm hoping that it's just a minor "event" and everything will clear up very soon. Unfortunately, I go on a two week work trip next Saturday... so I really need to hope for the best between now and then. Anyway... ugh.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:18 AM
McPuff's Tank Specs

Ok, finally have some pics to share for the water "station."

Here you can see the whole room, including both of the new containers and their connection with a mag 9.5.

McPuff's new 300DD-new_saltwater_station.jpg

It's been nice to have a larger reservoir, especially with all my travel coming up. No need to worry there for a few weeks if I'm only using ATO.

Here you can see the 30 gal PCO tank that I use to hold/mix saltwater. I drilled a single hole for the RO water input. Super easy to fill. Nice opening in the top as well for pouring in salt. And I can reach into the bottom of the tank to install the pump, etc. I'm glad I went with a horizontal tank for the saltwater!

Adding saltwater to the sump is easy as well. I just place a length of 1" flex PVC into the 1" ball valve, open the valve and let it flow for about a minute. Since sump is lower than the mixing container this works very well. Fills super fast! I did my first water change last night using this system and it took about 10 minutes... but that was because I siphoned out a bunch detritus. I'm guessing it'll take me less than 5 minutes to do a 20-30 gallon water change on most occasions. Not bad!

McPuff's new 300DD-saltwater_container.jpg

And finally, this picture shows how the RO tank is plumbed to the ATO (small 1/4 pex valve), the saltwater mixing tank (large ball valve)... and I also included a gate valve so I can get small amounts of RO water on demand. Definitely recommend having this type of addition to your system if you're planning one!!!

I decided NOT to leave the pump attached and constantly plumbed because I won't be making saltwater very often. This will allow me to empty the lines and not get stale water sitting around. So I just store the pump and lines in the cabinet in between uses. I'm quite happy with the decision and it's super easy to install the pump and lines.

McPuff's new 300DD-attached_containers.jpg

One issue I had is a small leak at the pump. Need to figure out why this is happening but the interim solution is to simply place the pump in a bucket lid or other shallow container.

Otherwise, the system works very well. Let me know if you have any questions about anything.
MatroxD and drs2140 like this.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:08 PM
drs2140's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48103

Wow that turned out pretty awesome. Wish I had the room for a setup like that.
Where do you get the 30 gallon pco?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2017, 01:21 PM
McPuff's Tank Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs2140 View Post
Wow that turned out pretty awesome. Wish I had the room for a setup like that.
Where do you get the 30 gallon pco?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! It has been in the works for many years. Glad I could FINALLY make it happen. The PCO tank came from a fertilizer supply store in Milton, WI. :0) Rural King has a 35 gallon horizontal tank that may work for you if you're looking for something similar. They are now at 59 and US23 (used to be WalMart).
MatroxD likes this.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:22 AM
MatroxD's Tank Specs

Zip Code: trans
My Mood: Amazed

Dude, that looks great! I like them both and how you tied them into the ato system.. And until you explained about "not keeping the pump hooked", and I just looked at the pictures, I was like "Hmmnn, that's not like him to leave a pump on the floor".. And then, I continued reading.. That's awesome dude! Seriously!

And I know we talked about a setup for me.. I like the horizontal tank idea.. I'm going to have to do something with my evaporation rate.. I might do 2 30 gallons though.. I'm so envious of your fish room dude! Lol! Looks and is coming together awesome!

You have to take some pictures of your tub also.. You've done amazing things with that! And elaborate on it.. You've expanded that idea well past my original thought, and yours is doing great in its multi purpose role!

As always man, great work!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2017, 09:27 AM
MatroxD's Tank Specs

Zip Code: trans
My Mood: Amazed

Quote:
Thanks! It has been in the works for many years. Glad I could FINALLY make it happen. The PCO tank came from a fertilizer supply store in Milton, WI. :0) Rural King has a 35 gallon horizontal tank that may work for you if you're looking for something similar. They are now at 59 and US23 (used to be WalMart).
I also got an email from US Plastic, and they had some Taco vertical and horizontal 30 gallon reasonable.. I've been scouting ever since Damon(it's weird saying his name, lol, since we both have the same first name) originally mentioned it to me.. So that might be an option also Dan..

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2017, 11:56 AM
drs2140's Tank Specs

Default McPuff's new 300DD

I will check those out. I found this which I think will serve as a great ATO resevoiur, the footprint is great (14x14x28) and hold around 24 gallons.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:17 PM
McPuff's Tank Specs

Just keep in mind that you don't want your ATO reservoir to be taller than the water level in your sump. Otherwise, you can have issues.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:15 PM
drs2140's Tank Specs

Quote:
Just keep in mind that you don't want your ATO reservoir to be taller than the water level in your sump. Otherwise, you can have issues.

I thought about this, I was thinking of having the ato hose run up the back of the tank and dispense into the over flow. That way I wouldn't have to worry about it syphoning the ato and over flowing the sump. You also wouldn't be able to see the tubing.
I'll start this discussion in my build thread. Don't want to clog yours up lol
Old 04-26-2017, 02:53 PM
McPuff's Tank Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs2140 View Post
I thought about this, I was thinking of having the ato hose run up the back of the tank and dispense into the over flow. That way I wouldn't have to worry about it syphoning the ato and over flowing the sump. You also wouldn't be able to see the tubing.
I'll start this discussion in my build thread. Don't want to clog yours up lol
Ha, no worries. That is a good idea... though you'll have a lag in the water being dispensed and the sensor picking up the addition. It won't hurt anything though! You can also just have the dispensing tube empty into another pipe that is larger than the ATO line. That way the siphon will break as soon as the water goes into the larger tube. As long as this is above the top of your ATO reservoir you'll be ok. Does that make sense?

Tags
algae, apex, blue, calcium reactor, clean, fish, foxface, fuge, heater, huge, lights, live, livestock, macro, pvc, reactor, reef, return, sand, stand, sump, tank, trigger, video, youtube