Mike's New Tank (My Wife is Pissed) - Page 2 - Michigan Reefers
Register Free
Michigan Reefers

Go Back   Michigan Reefers » General Interest Forums » Members Tanks

Members Tanks This is a forum where members can show off their tanks & tank progress.

Support Our Sponsors  Become a Sponsor

Old 04-18-2017, 08:12 AM
Copperband86's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48038
My Mood: Tired

Added about 50lbs of LR to the display yesterday. I'm going to let this aquascape run for a few days and monitor the water flow for dead spots, see if I want to change any rock around.

My plan was to have a couple caves and tunnels down near the sand for hiding places as well as to not interrupt water flow near the sand. I tried to make sure there were crevices between the rock and back of the tank for fish to get through plus water flow. I tried to make sure there was ample swimming room in and around the aquascape as this is FOWLR, so I think I'm happy with it for now. I have a couple other good sized pieces of rock I can add if I decide to. For now this is it.

I think I'm going to remove the Tunze wave maker. I really don't see a huge advantage to it in the tank and I'd rather have an additional power head in there for additional flow.

I will probably monitor the water parameters for another week or so to make sure I don't have any unanticipated negative reactions, but after that I will start stocking the tank! Getting pretty close & it's starting to get exciting.
Attached Thumbnails
Mike's New Tank (My Wife is Pissed)-img_4774.jpg Mike's New Tank (My Wife is Pissed)-img_4775.jpg Mike's New Tank (My Wife is Pissed)-img_4776.jpg Mike's New Tank (My Wife is Pissed)-img_4777.jpg Mike's New Tank (My Wife is Pissed)-img_4778.jpg
Members of Michigan Reefers have rated post as the most helpful. Skip right to it!
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pics of my tank. Thanks Mike, I got almost everything from Reef Paradise!!! justin The Blue Glow 10 11-05-2009 01:03 AM
Inhaled zoathid pissed off ness darb85 Reef Discussion 18 01-28-2009 05:39 PM
Wife's Sea Horse tank rarelyseriousb Members Tanks 10 10-12-2007 04:39 PM
Mike's Tank................ John Brancheau SPS Keepers 7 08-30-2006 11:53 PM
Wife goes crazy! Says I can get a bigger tank! Sylock Reef Discussion 4 07-26-2004 12:05 PM

Old 04-18-2017, 08:42 AM
McPuff's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48170
My Mood: Inspired

The rock work looks really good. Not sure what to say about the pumps. It's hard to hide them. You could move the wave box to the back wall and either keep it pointed in the current orientation... or you could point it toward the front. For the pump, I'd also move it to the back wall and put it low to try and get it behind the rock work. Then you could point the returns out toward the sides and point the pump toward the middle and upward. This should create some nice flow. The wavebox is nice too have because it keep the whole tank moving and eliminate dead spots. It does a great job of this.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
The rock work looks really good. Not sure what to say about the pumps. It's hard to hide them. You could move the wave box to the back wall and either keep it pointed in the current orientation... or you could point it toward the front. For the pump, I'd also move it to the back wall and put it low to try and get it behind the rock work. Then you could point the returns out toward the sides and point the pump toward the middle and upward. This should create some nice flow. The wavebox is nice too have because it keep the whole tank moving and eliminate dead spots. It does a great job of this.
Do you think locating the PH behind the rock would severely cut down on flow in the front of the tank? I'm always looking at ways to minimize the visualization of pumps, wires, etc. I do think I'll take your advice and move the wavebox to the back and see how that works out.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:46 AM
McPuff's Tank Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperband86 View Post
Do you think locating the PH behind the rock would severely cut down on flow in the front of the tank? I'm always looking at ways to minimize the visualization of pumps, wires, etc. I do think I'll take your advice and move the wavebox to the back and see how that works out.
I don't think you need crazy flow for a FOWLR. The most important thing is to try and keep detritus from settling in dead spots. The wave box should do a good job of keeping sediment suspended so it can go into the overflow. Hiding the pump should work out fine. You could even angle it to create a back to front gyre by pointing it along the back wall, just slightly toward the front... if that makes sense.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
I don't think you need crazy flow for a FOWLR. The most important thing is to try and keep detritus from settling in dead spots. The wave box should do a good job of keeping sediment suspended so it can go into the overflow. Hiding the pump should work out fine. You could even angle it to create a back to front gyre by pointing it along the back wall, just slightly toward the front... if that makes sense.
No that makes perfect sense. I'm going to play with the pump position to see where I can hide it and still have a nice flow.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:20 PM
on the spot's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 49519

I agree with McPuff on the wavebox. It'll accomplish more than you might appreciate.

Hide away I say. Turnover volume doesn't care that you are blasting the back of a rock.

I tend to camp in the more is better area though.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:51 AM

I was moving my powerhead and wave maker last night and noticed when I stuck my hand in the tank, I could feel electrical current. I started to unplug things and it looks like my return pump is the culprit. Looks like I'll be buying a new one soon. It's an old one a friend gave me so I figured it was on borrowed time. At this point, all of the equipment that I originally purchased from the seller either has broke and I've replaced or flat out didn't work. Peace of mind knowing most of the stuff is now new but still, I was hoping to mitigate startup costs and gradually upgrade items.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:08 AM

I went and stuck my hand in the tank last night and no electrical current. I'm a bit stumped. Anyone have ideas why I would feel it some of the time but not others? I understand there is typically going to be some stray current but this was definitely noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2017, 08:32 AM
McPuff's Tank Specs

Quote:
I went and stuck my hand in the tank last night and no electrical current. I'm a bit stumped. Anyone have ideas why I would feel it some of the time but not others? I understand there is typically going to be some stray current but this was definitely noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Because heaters are not always on.... yes, it could be the heater! :0)
Old 04-25-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Because heaters are not always on.... yes, it could be the heater! :0)
Ugh. I hope not. They are brand new! But I checked again last night and I didn't notice anything.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:56 AM
McPuff's Tank Specs

I've had similar situations in my tank. No idea what causes it. You could get a probe to check it, or you could just ignore it. :0)
Old 04-25-2017, 10:56 AM

I tested my water last night for the first time since I put all of the dry rock from my friends tank into mine last Sunday. The Ammonia has risen but it appears that Nitrite, Nitrate, and pH are all holding at their prior levels. I was expecting a potential mini spike and will continue testing for a couple weeks to see if it gets any worse. Parameters measured below:

pH: 8.0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate : 0-5ppm
Ammonia: 0.25ppm-0.5ppm
Old 05-10-2017, 09:30 AM

After adding all the rock to my tank I did go through a mini cycle but I think I'm in the clear now. Did a 10 gal water change last night and will test the water today, but I think I'm ready to add my 1st fish this weekend. Most likely going to add a Clown to start off.

Also pulled down the halide fixture I had and got a Current LED fixture. It's great for my FOWLR application, fully programmable with several different modes and comes with a remote. The lighting looks fantastic, so I'm very happy with the purchase. Plus it's small and streamlined which I like. I also added another Koralia ph and the flow seems good and hid them a little better on the back wall.

My next small project is I'm going to make a 20gal mixed saltwater holding tank similar to my ATO I finished a couple weeks ago. Should make water changes quite easy.

I'm having a small issue with microbubbles coming up my return for some reason. I'm not sure why, as the return pump is after the baffles in it's own chamber and the skimmer and media reactor is in the other. Kinda stumped.

Some pics below of the current setup and look.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:58 AM
McPuff's Tank Specs

Quote:
Most likely going to add a Clown to start off.

I'm having a small issue with microbubbles coming up my return for some reason. I'm not sure why, as the return pump is after the baffles in it's own chamber and the skimmer and media reactor is in the other. Kinda stumped.

Some pics below of the current setup and look.
Hopefully not a tomato clown!!

Try to add some quilt batting to your sump drain section. It should do a great job of removing any microbubbles... and particulates!
Old 05-10-2017, 12:17 PM
on the spot's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 49519

Quote:
...I think I'm ready to add my 1st fish...Most likely going to add a Clown...
Quote:
Hopefully not a retarded, inbred, genetic anomalous clown...
Fixed that for you.

Anti tomato in general terms or specific type?

The complex offers exceptionally hardy fish - can stand their own if you have other knucklehead type fish in a FO tank.

Tags
aga, apex, clown, controller, coralife, corner, dual, fish, fowlr, gph, halide, koralia, live, live rock, metal, metal halide, octopus, reactor, rock, saltwater, setup, sump, tank, temperature, tunze