Mike's New Tank (My Wife is Pissed) - Page 3 - Michigan Reefers
Register Free
Michigan Reefers

Go Back   Michigan Reefers » General Interest Forums » Members Tanks

Members Tanks This is a forum where members can show off their tanks & tank progress.

Support Our Sponsors  Become a Sponsor

Old 05-10-2017, 01:03 PM
Copperband86's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48038
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by on the spot View Post
Fixed that for you.

Anti tomato in general terms or specific type?

The complex offers exceptionally hardy fish - can stand their own if you have other knucklehead type fish in a FO tank.

So 1st, with the quilt batting, how often would you replace it? I'm assuming it catches a lot of crap prior to going back through the return into the tank.

And 2nd, I'm most likely going to to with a True Perc, Picasso, or Snowflake. Gonna check out the stock at my LFS and see what looks good.
Members of Michigan Reefers have rated post as the most helpful. Skip right to it!
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pics of my tank. Thanks Mike, I got almost everything from Reef Paradise!!! justin The Blue Glow 10 11-05-2009 01:03 AM
Inhaled zoathid pissed off ness darb85 Reef Discussion 18 01-28-2009 05:39 PM
Wife's Sea Horse tank rarelyseriousb Members Tanks 10 10-12-2007 04:39 PM
Mike's Tank................ John Brancheau SPS Keepers 7 08-30-2006 11:53 PM
Wife goes crazy! Says I can get a bigger tank! Sylock Reef Discussion 4 07-26-2004 12:05 PM

Old 05-11-2017, 04:57 AM
McPuff's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48170
My Mood: Inspired

Ha! Not my words but still funny. :0)
Old 05-11-2017, 04:58 AM
McPuff's Tank Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperband86 View Post
So 1st, with the quilt batting, how often would you replace it? I'm assuming it catches a lot of crap prior to going back through the return into the tank.

And 2nd, I'm most likely going to to with a True Perc, Picasso, or Snowflake. Gonna check out the stock at my LFS and see what looks good.
Change it whenever it gets dirty. And you just throw it out. It's very cheap and does a tremendous job of removing fine particulate matter (or coarse!).

Old 05-11-2017, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
Change it whenever it gets dirty. And you just throw it out. It's very cheap and does a tremendous job of removing fine particulate matter (or coarse!).
Any particular brand or type to use? I was looking online and saw some people had issues with the polyester fibers breaking off and getting sucked up the return.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:18 AM
McPuff's Tank Specs

I don't think it really matters. Do you use baffles in your sump? It may take some creativity to determine where to place it. But you don't want it too close to your return pump. I don't think that would be too helpful.

I do not use this anymore but did when I had freshwater and FOWLR. It's been a while. Thinking of trying it again actually.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
I don't think it really matters. Do you use baffles in your sump? It may take some creativity to determine where to place it. But you don't want it too close to your return pump. I don't think that would be too helpful.

I do not use this anymore but did when I had freshwater and FOWLR. It's been a while. Thinking of trying it again actually.
Yea I have baffles. I was thinking of possibly inserting it in there for maximum flow through it.

Also just noticed a bit of what looks like a diatom bloom. I probably brought that on myself, as I just put the new LED's on the tank and did a 10 gal water change. Not sure if I should wait it out prior to putting in any fish or just go for it.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:16 AM
McPuff's Tank Specs

Quote:
Yea I have baffles. I was thinking of possibly inserting it in there for maximum flow through it.

Also just noticed a bit of what looks like a diatom bloom. I probably brought that on myself, as I just put the new LED's on the tank and did a 10 gal water change. Not sure if I should wait it out prior to putting in any fish or just go for it.
I would wait it out. Let that get sorted before adding anything that may just exacerbate the issue.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:53 AM

Some new pics with lighting updated.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:09 AM
McPuff's Tank Specs

Quote:
Some new pics with lighting updated.
I see no pics... :0)
Old 05-16-2017, 10:30 AM

Sorry about that. There we go. I tested my water again last night and it looks like I'm about set. Ammonia was reading at about 0 and my nitrates were in the 5/10 range. Gonna continue to test this week and probably add fish this weekend. Also it looks like the tiny diatom bloom went away.
Attached Thumbnails
Mike's New Tank (My Wife is Pissed)-img_0073new.jpg Mike's New Tank (My Wife is Pissed)-img_0076new.jpg Mike's New Tank (My Wife is Pissed)-img_0083new.jpg
Old 05-19-2017, 07:27 AM

Picked up 2 Domino clowns from a fellow reefer on here Wednesday night. They seem to be very happy in the tank so far. I'll post a couple pics this weekend. Now I just need to get a cleanup crew in there and we should be off and running!
Old 05-20-2017, 08:37 AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2017, 08:38 AM

I am getting some wicked brown algae. Looks like diatoms still. Seems to be loving my LEDs for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2017, 01:28 PM

Well I've put in a small cleanup crew (10 snails, 5 hermits) and they have done a bang up job eating the diatom algae and cleaning up any other debris in the tank.

Clowns are finally eating pretty good. The female is eating brine/mysis shrimp and some pellet food, although the male is not quite as eager yet on the offerings.

I also took apart my skimmer the other night to find out why I was not really getting any production out of it and also to see if I could alleviate the microbubbles. The air intake was almost completely clogged with glue I had used to make a repair to the intake, so I cleaned it out and reglued in in a different spot to ensure that doesn't happen again. Will get that back up and running this week. I'm also adding a longer discharge pipe to the skimmer as well as a PVC T at the bottom. I'm hoping that helps dissipate the microbubbles. Also moved it farther away from the return pump.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:22 PM

Success! Skimmer fix was successful and is churning away and making bubbles. Also managed to get rid of my micro bubble issue by adding that T to the bottom of the skimmer discharge pipe. Here are a couple pics of the sump and setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Mike's New Tank (My Wife is Pissed)-img_0202-resized.jpg Mike's New Tank (My Wife is Pissed)-img_0203-resize.jpg Mike's New Tank (My Wife is Pissed)-img_0204-resized.jpg Mike's New Tank (My Wife is Pissed)-img_0205-resized.jpg

Tags
aga, apex, clown, controller, coralife, corner, dual, fish, fowlr, gph, halide, koralia, live, live rock, metal, metal halide, octopus, reactor, rock, saltwater, setup, sump, tank, temperature, tunze