DRS Shallow Reef Crest - Michigan Reefers
Register Free
Michigan Reefers

Go Back   Michigan Reefers » General Interest Forums » Members Tanks

Members Tanks This is a forum where members can show off their tanks & tank progress.

Support Our Sponsors  Become a Sponsor

Like Tree3Likes
Old 04-03-2017, 10:52 PM
drs2140's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48103
Default DRS Shallow Reef Crest

After 5 years in the hobby I've decided to upgrade to a larger aquarium.

I have had my ups and downs in reef keeping over the last 5 years and I have learned a lot along the way.

I decided to go all out and make this tank exactly how I want it.

This will be an all SPS tank.

I'm still in the acquisition stage but so far I have been busy working on the sump and tank. I wanted to get a build thread going so I can get help and advice a long the way.

First I started with an 80 gallon shallow tank. I painted the back black because I do not like seeing the wall behind the glass, it also helps the corals pop. While I was at it I painted the bottom black. I think it looks good in a bare bottom tank. I used Krylon Fusion Paint.

Next I built my sump out of a 40 breeder. I took my time on this because I've never built a sump. I ended up using ATV 103 black silicone and 1/4" glass from a local shop. I'm not a big fan of refugiums and I also wanted a place for frags so, I built an in sump frag tank. I used the silicone and black acrylic rods to make two shelves. The black egg rate sits right on the rails so removal for maintenance will be easy. I will light the frag chamber with a radion pro.

I purchased a new reef octopus 202-s which will sit in the first chamber with a filter sock.

More to come...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MatroxD and MatnNatsReef like this.
Members of Michigan Reefers have rated post as the most helpful. Skip right to it!
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JimC's Shallow Reef JimC Members Tanks 90 05-16-2013 11:02 AM
I must be crazy.... SHALLOW REEF ereefer Lighting, Filtration and Other Equipment 16 03-16-2010 03:08 PM
Best pump for shallow reef? ereefer Lighting, Filtration and Other Equipment 7 03-05-2010 07:30 PM
320 shallow reef 320 shallow Members Tanks 4 11-08-2009 06:01 PM
New 40gal Shallow reef VanGogh121 Members Tanks 4 02-19-2008 08:31 PM

Old 04-03-2017, 11:34 PM
MatroxD's Tank Specs

Zip Code: trans
My Mood: Amazed

Looks good dude! Glad you started the thread! And great job on your first sump build! How did you enjoy the process?

I actually have said that I was going to paint the bottom of my tank for a while black, and still haven't done it.. But you may have inspired me to go ahead and roll it..

I am subscribed and look forward to your progress!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2017, 08:39 AM
McPuff's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48170
My Mood: Inspired

Sweet! I saw you were looking for some large rocks so I figured an upgrade must be in the works! Definitely want to see this progress!

I noticed your skimmer collection cup has a drain. I've got a 5 gallon bucket with a float switch and I'm not going to use it. It has the wires to go to an Apex BOB. Let me know if you want it. I may also be willing to part with the BOB if you don't already have one.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:17 AM
fishgeek88's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48073

Where did you end up getting the tank? I know you were looking for a little while
Old 04-04-2017, 09:37 AM
drs2140's Tank Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishgeek88 View Post
Where did you end up getting the tank? I know you were looking for a little while

Ended up ordering through Ypsilanti Fish Doctorsicon
Old 04-04-2017, 09:40 AM
drs2140's Tank Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
Sweet! I saw you were looking for some large rocks so I figured an upgrade must be in the works! Definitely want to see this progress!

I noticed your skimmer collection cup has a drain. I've got a 5 gallon bucket with a float switch and I'm not going to use it. It has the wires to go to an Apex BOB. Let me know if you want it. I may also be willing to part with the BOB if you don't already have one.

Yep, it's been in the works for awhile but now that I'm working I've pulled the trigger.
I am ordering an apex on Friday, it will be my first controller so I've got some researching to do. It does have a drain but Idk what a BOB is so I'll have to figure that out lol

Old 04-04-2017, 09:49 AM
truepercs's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48154
My Mood: Relaxed

Looking forward to seeing the progress
Give yourself plenty of room in the cabinet... Space is a premium.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:53 AM
drs2140's Tank Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatroxD View Post
Looks good dude! Glad you started the thread! And great job on your first sump build! How did you enjoy the process?

I actually have said that I was going to paint the bottom of my tank for a while black, and still haven't done it.. But you may have inspired me to go ahead and roll it..

I am subscribed and look forward to your progress!

Thanks dude!
I love the look of the black bottom. I know eventually it will be covered with some coralline, but even then it shows through. My current tank is BB with a black bottom and it looks nice.
it was a fun experience building the sump. I did have a hard time with the baffles because I have large hands and couldn't fit, should of had my wife do it. Over all I think it turned out great, I'm super happy with the frag section it's about 22"x18", with two 21"x9" racks. I will be able to house plenty of frags in there.

My friend and I will be building the stand soon. He is a carpenter by trade so it should turn out nicely, I have some cool ideas.

I have pukani coming from BRS and Prime cuts and Marco E 400 coming from Marco rocks this week. I'm going to give that an acid bath this weekend and start some aquascaping with the dry rock.

Once the tank is set up and running I will add the dry rock and some live rock from my current tank and have that cure. Once it's cycled through I will add the remaining live rock and coral.

I received my heater, skimmer, and lights last week. I ended up going with a 48" 8-bulb ATI sun-power and taking a break from leds.

2 pp8's came in this week which will eventually be swapped for gyre wave makes
Also the newest version of the Jaebo return. I tested the return and was amazed how quiet it is. I ran it at 100% and had to put my ear to the container to hear it. I will most likely swap this out for a vectra.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:07 AM
drs2140's Tank Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by truepercs View Post
Looking forward to seeing the progress
Give yourself plenty of room in the cabinet... Space is a premium.

Yep, idk if you remember where my current tank is set up but, this will be going in that same nook. The stand will fill that entire spot 55"x26". There is a large reach in closet connected to the right side of the nook. I will be drilling a hole through that wall and be storing ato reservoir and dosing containers, that will leave tons of space under the stand

Old 04-04-2017, 11:31 PM
Rx79394's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48105

Build is coming along nicely!

Where did you happen to get the glass from? I am looking to re-do my sump that I bought from Fish Doctorsicon as it is pretty much useless... as soon as school ends. Was it carpenter brothers for the glass?
Old 04-05-2017, 12:50 AM
MatroxD's Tank Specs

Zip Code: trans
My Mood: Amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs2140 View Post
Thanks dude!
I love the look of the black bottom. I know eventually it will be covered with some coralline, but even then it shows through. My current tank is BB with a black bottom and it looks nice.
it was a fun experience building the sump. I did have a hard time with the baffles because I have large hands and couldn't fit, should of had my wife do it. Over all I think it turned out great, I'm super happy with the frag section it's about 22"x18", with two 21"x9" racks. I will be able to house plenty of frags in there.

My friend and I will be building the stand soon. He is a carpenter by trade so it should turn out nicely, I have some cool ideas.

I have pukani coming from BRS and Prime cuts and Marco E 400 coming from Marco rocks this week. I'm going to give that an acid bath this weekend and start some aquascaping with the dry rock.

Once the tank is set up and running I will add the dry rock and some live rock from my current tank and have that cure. Once it's cycled through I will add the remaining live rock and coral.

I received my heater, skimmer, and lights last week. I ended up going with a 48" 8-bulb ATI sun-power and taking a break from leds.

2 pp8's came in this week which will eventually be swapped for gyre wave makes
Also the newest version of the Jaebo return. I tested the return and was amazed how quiet it is. I ran it at 100% and had to put my ear to the container to hear it. I will most likely swap this out for a vectra.

Lol, I'm going to try and remember everything you spoke on.. But I think you did a great job on the sump! Especially for your first attempt (I've seen a lot of posted videos that honestly don't look as good).. And I really understand what your saying with the big hands.. It's a blessing and a curse..

And I have some back pain, but I'm going to do my bottom as soon as it subsides.. I already did my two side glasses, and really like them. The only thing about the bottom, I wonder is how it will all look.. I also considered white, to reflect light up, but I think like you, I am inherently drawn to black.. But yours looks great!

Oh.. Btw! Your current system photos you posted look great and gave me acro envy.. Simply because I remember how a lot of your pieces looked when mine were still frags.. It looks awesome, and you have done well! Kudos!

And I think the stand was the one last thing.. One thing I can highly recommend is build it taller than you think you need, by even just a couple inches.. Lol, it comes in handy.. And I really look forward to how the skin looks, as that is the one thing I do not know how to do with stands.. Lmao, I can build them like tanks, but getting them skinned, it has illuded me.. So I look forward to that too..

And honestly, a warning on the pp pumps.. My 20 just went out, and it's the newest jebao I have.. I'm going to gradually add I can switch to tunze I believe, simply because it will integrate without an additional module on the pex. So hopefully they perform and "reliably" for you.

Lastly, I have had I think now 4 of the jebao return pumps. With the exception of needing to clean my current one, about a year ago, I've never had an issue with them (knock on wood), and they've always been silent as you speak of.. So much so, that I have considered (and I talked to puff about this too), redesigning my manifold, and running every single thing off the return.. I may need at some point a larger one, but I'm sure with their power, they would work fine for the task. But they are good running return pumps. I think as long as they don't run dry at some point..

And I'm sure you'll do fine with the t5 setup.. Lol, most of us are running some form of hybrid anyhow..

But I look forward to the progress dude to say the least!

Old 04-05-2017, 10:37 AM
drs2140's Tank Specs

Default DRS Shallow Reef Crest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rx79394 View Post
Build is coming along nicely!

Where did you happen to get the glass from? I am looking to re-do my sump that I bought from Fish Doctorsicon as it is pretty much useless... as soon as school ends. Was it carpenter brothers for the glass?

Diamond glass company, located on the corner of maple and liberty
TBH I would not recommend them. Glass was not cut evenly, edges were barley filed down, and they forgot my order and I had to call them to ask them why I hadn't received a call to pick it up.

Old 04-07-2017, 01:05 PM
Rx79394's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48105

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs2140 View Post
Diamond glass company, located on the corner of maple and liberty
TBH I would not recommend them. Glass was not cut evenly, edges were barley filed down, and they forgot my order and I had to call them to ask them why I hadn't received a call to pick it up.

That is quite unfortunate. Were they at least cheap? I got quoted by Henderson on a different project before, and I was quite sick with what they wanted to charge.

I've also thrown around the idea of using black acrylic as I plan on lighting the refugium area with a light and don't want the light to grow algae in the vast parts of the sump.

It is not fun as I know this tank is just temporary until we move... so it is not fun spending money on it.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:45 PM
drs2140's Tank Specs

Had some fun prepping the rocks this week.
The pukani came in stinking and full of dead organic matter (as expected). The Marco shelf came pretty clean.

I did a 24 hour bleach soak with the pukani followed by a dechlorinator soak, air dry for three days, and then another soak.
Last night my buddy and I had some fun doing an acid bath. I got a carried away with the acid concentration and lost a little more rock than I was expecting.

Pukani post bleach soak/pre acid bath:

Acid bath:

They're all soaking in rodi water right now. I just tested phosphate and they were slightly less than <1 ppm. I'm testing with salifert so I need to pick up a Hanna checker.

May or may not go the lanthium chloride route to help pull phosphate from the rock.

The reason I'm being anal about curing these rocks is because I will eventually move all of my SPS to this tank and am petrified of losing all the coral I've put so much time and money into. I would much rather leach out the phosphate prior to putting in the tank to cycle.

Another buddy came over yesterday and we had a chance to sit down and plan out the stand. Other than that not much has been done since last update.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:46 AM
drs2140's Tank Specs

After 10 days of being in the tote with power head and 2x daily dosing of LC phosphates have dropped to 0 on ULR checker. This stuff works pretty **** well. Phosphate was over 1ppm prior to starting LC. I went 24 hours without dosing to take a phosphate reading. I will check tomorrow and see if they have leeched any more.

Tags
acrylic, aquarium, breeder, build, build thread, corals, egg, fan, filter, frags, gallon, glass, light, octopus, radion, reef, reef keeping, reef octopus, removal, sps, sump, tank, ups, wall, wanted