Michigan Reefers banner
1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  WindyCityReefer 
#1 ·
Hey everyone!

I am new to the forum and thought what better way to introduce myself than to start a journal for my nano!

A little bit about me, I am a graduate student at the University of Michigan and will be graduating in 2019. I am originally from Chicago - hence the username! :meeting: I have been in the hobby for about 10 years and have had tanks from FOWLRS to full blown reefs. I have always wanted to start a journal for one of my tanks but never really got around to it. As a graduate student this has made things a little more difficult. But I recently came across a deal I could not pass up that is perfect for my situation! The goal is to document everything in this thread. Let me introduce to you my new nano!

It is an IM 10 gallon fusion with the following equipment:
  • Custom IM media basket
  • MP10wes vortech
  • Ghost Desktop skimmer
  • Tunze nano ATO
  • AI prime
  • Cobalt heater
  • IM spin stream

The tank currently has 2 clowns and some other livestock. The plan is to get into SPS given the AI prime and the MP10. Here are some photos! Pardon my cell phone photos, I am working on getting a better camera.. Also, does anyone know how I can flip my photos so that they are properly orientated?

Looking forward to meeting all the Michigan reefers in the area!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Rich - Looking good already!

My wife and I are students here UM so we know the struggle with the tank husbandry. What do you happen to be studying? If you are interested in grabbing a cup one of these days send me a PM. It would be interesting to hear your story, and maybe trade a few frags.

#3 ·
Rich - Looking good already!

My wife and I are students here UM so we know the struggle with the tank husbandry. What do you happen to be studying? If you are interested in grabbing a cup one of these days send me a PM. It would be interesting to hear your story, and maybe trade a few frags.
Thanks Dylan!! I am in the dental program. That sounds good to me! I am always up for getting together. What are you and your wife studying?

#4 ·
Decided to check out a couple LFS in the area with the girlfriend this weekend. A couple new additions today! Orange cap, seasons greetings monti and a starry blenny. Sadly, the SPS didn't look to good after dipping. I guess time will tell :unsure: Plans for the rest of the weekend - water change, general maintenance and making some fresh salt water.

Attachments

#8 ·
Well I feel like an update is long overdue!

Between finals, research and clinic the tank was put on the back burner. I left the tank for about a week to visit the family back at home. Thankfully the girlfriend volunteered to feed the fish during that time :D Yesterday I came back to a full skimmer collection cup, some hungry fish and some closed up corals. Did a water change and everything looks a lot better.

Back at home I was able to snag some frags from a couple fellow reefers and local shops. I'm beginning to make my way into more SPS so I will be testing and documenting my water daily over the next week or so to see what my consumption of alk and calcium is. As easy as it is to do a water change on a tank of this volume, it would save me some time and money to simply dose the tank.

For now here are a couple of photos!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.