Support Our Sponsors
Support Our Sponsors  Become a Sponsor
The Fish Factory  Moby Dick Pet Store 

Old 03-22-2013, 10:27 AM
jeromieg's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48842
My Mood: Cold
Default 30g Nuvo Start-Up

Well after several years out of the hobby due to a horrible tank malfunction with my previous 28g JBJ Nano, I have decided to get back into the hobby after spending hours and hours at my favorite LFS. Oh and getting the wife's blessing as well, which was probably the biggest key :-) Luv ya sweetie <3

So after decided to go with the IM 30g Nuvo, I picked the Kessil A350W as the light of choice since it seems to provide excellent growth and color based on what I have seen at the LFS. Price-wise, it was a little steep, but I was always wishing for stronger lighting with my previous nano, so I decided to spend the big bucks. I am certain that I will be very happy!

So the tank stand was my first project.

Here is the frame, thanks to RocketEngineers awesome thread!!!!!

Members of Michigan Reefers have rated post as the most helpful. Skip right to it!
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nuvo 30 mikev_us Want to Buy 2 03-18-2013 04:21 PM
Nuvo 16 w/ stock LEDs or Nuvo 30 with Kessil A150W 10k???? jeromieg Reef Discussion 7 02-21-2013 05:33 PM
WTB: RSM 34g or IM Nuvo 38g kennywiz Want to Buy 12 02-21-2013 03:42 PM
nuvo 16 gallon mtrbo127 Selling Forums 0 12-09-2012 11:38 PM
Mrozdak's IM Nuvo 8G Mrozdak Members Tanks 6 02-26-2012 07:10 AM

Old 03-22-2013, 10:28 AM
jeromieg's Tank Specs

And now here are the photos after I skinned it and created my own trim for the bottom and routed the top board to make it a little more appealing for my awesome wife!

Didn't come out quite like I had hoped. I had cut the board for the top of the stand with the grain going the wrong way, so all of the leftover that I used for the trim had to be cut so that the grain was running from top to bottom not from side to side. I am just too cheap to go and buy more wood to create new trim.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:43 AM
jeromieg's Tank Specs

And so now the questions begin. Here are a couple of pictures that show the stand with the tank on it. There is but one problem. It appears that the top of the stand is not totally level, which I expected due to it being wood after all.

I have seen in many places that if you do not have a plastic rim on the bottom of the tank that you need to have some sort of foam/platic mat under the tank in order to provide a way for the tank to rest evenly on the surface in the event that there are some imperfections in the surface.

So what should I look for and where should I look? I would like to stain and finish the tank this evening and let my kids help me pick out rock this weekend at the LFS since they are just as much into this project as I am.

Any ideas?

The left front corner sits nice and level...

But the right front corner does not. It might be 1/16th of an inch off, but that is about it.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:39 PM
Based's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48044
My Mood: Cheerful

get some screw in legs for the bottom of your stand and then screw them in into where your stand in level. Message duckmaster on here, he can explain it better to you.

Tags
buy, cheap, color, corner, grow, growth, jbj, kessil, light, lighting, nano, photos, problem, questions, rock, stand, tank, tank stand, top