Reef Discussion A forum for general reef and marine aquaria discussion

Support Our Sponsors
Support Our Sponsors  Become a Sponsor
The Fish Factory  Moby Dick Pet Store 

Old 03-19-2011, 12:41 PM
bigkegkev's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48183
My Mood: Cool
Default How do you add Garlic to fish food!

I have read that people add garlic to their fish food, to better the fishes immunity! Do you just crush up a clove and swirl it around? Do you soak it for a while? Can you use the oil free bottle of chopped garlic? I am interested in this, if it helps my fish. Could someone please chime in! Thanks in advance!

BigKev
Members of Michigan Reefers have rated post as the most helpful. Skip right to it!
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Fish=Instant Fish Food...GRRR! FletcherKane Reef Discussion 13 10-05-2009 12:54 PM
Rods Coral Food and Fish Food bks709 Preuss Pets 2 10-29-2008 07:32 PM
is there food that you can buy with Garlic in it? liverocks Fish Disease Treatment 2 03-29-2008 07:52 PM
garlic and fish seaweedsmoker New to the Hobby 10 04-29-2006 09:49 AM
wtb fish food mix Black71gp Want to Buy 11 02-08-2006 02:32 PM

Old 03-19-2011, 12:45 PM
firsttime's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48084

smash a fresh garlic and put it in the food and let it soak in water for 5-10 min and then feed the fish.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:00 PM
Fragster's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48083
My Mood: Cheeky

A few different manufactures make a garlic extract. I use a Brightwell Aquatics - It's decently inexpensive and last a long time.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:08 PM
AshWalk's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48173
My Mood: Yeehaw

You can also buy a jar of minced garlic at the grocery store and add the liquid in the jar to your food. Or you can google online how to make your own garlic extract and do it that way.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:51 PM
fishtal's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48327
My Mood: Mellow

I only use fresh garlic that is chopped very fine with a sharp knife. If you crush it you will lose a lot of the essential oils. I add this to a mix of frozen foods. I also place a small slice in the cup with my frozen Cyplopeeze that I feed to my juveniles.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:20 PM
bluwc's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48420

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend buying the extract for the store. I paid for one little bottle before I knew better and I want to say I paid about $17 for it. Way too much and just getting fresh garlic is much more cheaper
Old 03-19-2011, 09:51 PM
bigkegkev's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48183
My Mood: Cool

Do you thnk think it improves the the fishes overall health?
Old 03-19-2011, 10:39 PM
Malibu's Reef's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48334
My Mood: Amused

I use garlic oil extract from the local health food store, put about 1/4 dropper on the frozen food and let it soak in, add some saltwater and stir it in tank after about 15 minutes. Most of the pellets available now already have garlic in them. I used it to help my fish after an ICH outbreak, some of my fish survived I don't know if it helped, but I don't know of any ill effects. The only thing I was warned about was it changing the ph because it is not buffered. Personally I never experienced this, but my system is about 300 gallons.
Good luck to you.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:51 PM
bluwc's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48420

I have read it boosts their immune systems and entices them to eat. I have also read that it makes the ich fall off of them if have it. I have also heard you want to watch your ph, but as stated above I also have not experieinced any problems.

Another one of my hobbies is that I show/breed dogs. I have given my dogs garlic for years. It's a great natural flea preventitive and also wards off other parasites. In the summer/fall months I never have to put frontline or advantage on my dogs because they don't have flea problems because of the garlic. I never see them scratching and the parasites just dont like it. I will be the first to admit that I am not a fish expert but I would assume that it's basically the same principle.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:06 PM
Jasper's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48912

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluwc View Post
I have read it boosts their immune systems and entices them to eat. I have also read that it makes the ich fall off of them if have it. I have also heard you want to watch your ph, but as stated above I also have not experieinced any problems.

Another one of my hobbies is that I show/breed dogs. I have given my dogs garlic for years. It's a great natural flea preventitive and also wards off other parasites. In the summer/fall months I never have to put frontline or advantage on my dogs because they don't have flea problems because of the garlic. I never see them scratching and the parasites just dont like it. I will be the first to admit that I am not a fish expert but I would assume that it's basically the same principle.
Agreed, garlic is good for all carbon based life forms....wait...not sure about birds...

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2012, 12:36 AM
paulinaflores's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 90640
My Mood: Blah
Unhappy Help

I started my saltwater fish about two weeks ago i notice my yellow tang had some ich on it im worried and dont know what to do..... I have check ph balance and it seem fine temp is at 80. I have three anemones, two clown fish, two tangs, one cow fish and a diamond back cosby..... none are fighting they are all getting along i hear that garlic helps but dont know how to go along with that... i have a master tester with all this test thinggys but its useless if i dont know how to use it.... help
Old 05-19-2012, 12:44 AM
chadf's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48144

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinaflores View Post
I started my saltwater fish about two weeks ago i notice my yellow tang had some ich on it im worried and dont know what to do..... I have check ph balance and it seem fine temp is at 80. I have three anemones, two clown fish, two tangs, one cow fish and a diamond back cosby..... none are fighting they are all getting along i hear that garlic helps but dont know how to go along with that... i have a master tester with all this test thinggys but its useless if i dont know how to use it.... help
Welcome to the forums! I guess that's all I'll say about that because you don't want to hear the truth.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:04 AM
dputt88's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48065

i dont mean to sound tough on you but the API master kit comes with directions. and youre tank is only 2 weeks old so you should probably read up on cycling a tank because you clearly have too much livestock for a tank that is as unstable as yours.

as for adding garlic to your food, i have use garlic powder (not salt) when mixing food to be frozen and used over the next year.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:18 AM
Premium Member

AYGurgies's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48313
My Mood: Happy

You added 8 lives to your tank in Two weeks????? This way, you will make them have cancer, not only ich!! Just be patient and take it slowly brother
Old 05-19-2012, 01:28 AM
Premium Member

AYGurgies's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48313
My Mood: Happy

Guys,
Garlic is one of the ten richest food that has phosphate in it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that it's not good to feed garlic, but to use it wisely.

Tags
300, anemones, brightwell, buy, clown, clown fish, eat, fish, food, free, ich, livestock, mixing, phosphate, salt, saltwater, saltwater fish, system, tang, tangs, tank, war, water