Go Back   Michigan Reefers » General Interest Forums » Reef Discussion

Reef Discussion A forum for general reef and marine aquaria discussion

Support Our Sponsors
Support Our Sponsors  Become a Sponsor
Tropicorium  Cherry Corals 

Old 05-30-2011, 07:53 AM
BCTate's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 49014
Default Power Out!! Couldn't find a generator!

Battle Creek got clobbered by the storms last night, and I am one of the unfortunate many that lost power! Consumer's website says that the hardest hit areas (Battle Creek) may not get power back until Wednesday evening!

So, I was frantically going store to store to find a generator last night, but everywhere I checked in BC was sold out already (8 pm). I figured this would happen, as I tried dragging the fam out to the store earlier to get one, only to be stalled by the wife's attempt to track down relatives who we could borrow one from. That failed, and so did my attempt to find one that late!

So I settled on a Stanley power converter that hooks up to a car battery and supplies 500 watts of power. I was able to plug in a 300w heater and one Koralia 3 powerhead for water movement. The tank temp was down to 71 degrees when I did this last night and after running all night without any problems it was back up to 80 at 5:00 am.

Does anybody have an idea of how long a new cheap car battery will run one of these power converters? It was still going strong this morning, but I can't imagine it will last until Wednesday evening. I guess if it dies, I can just swap it out with my car battery and recharge it!

I was really wanting to find a generator (and I definitely will be getting one before the next big storm!), but all-in-all I am pretty happy with the power converter! If only it could run a 46" LCD and a PS3....

Is there anything other than the heater and water movement to be concerned with until Wednesday?

Thanks,

Keith
Members of Michigan Reefers have rated post 908202 as the most helpful. Skip right to it!
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
You couldn't tell the difference between a labouti or a lineatus from your wrasse BlackGrandPrix AquaFX Aquarium Maintenance 3 02-15-2013 10:18 PM
Couldn't of said it better myself - Part II reeferdale Reef Discussion 13 02-05-2013 10:32 PM
I couldn't have said it better myself BlackGrandPrix Lighting, Filtration and Other Equipment 94 02-04-2013 10:52 AM
Generator repair and Natural gas generator installer TomToro The Lounge 9 04-20-2010 09:31 PM
I've stopped doing H2O changes and color couldn't be better! werdlone Reef Discussion 8 05-08-2009 09:37 PM

Old 05-30-2011, 08:42 AM
bluwc's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48420

You should be fine without your skimmer for a few days. As you already said, the most important is the powerheads and the heater.

We got a card in the mail where Home Depot was giving 10% off to the veterans/armed forces today. If you know anyone who was in the military that you could have show their card. We picked up a 5500w generator there last summer for 399, they clearanced them out and were orignially 899. Might be worth going to see what kind of deals they got going today, especially if you're going to be without power til Weds. We lost power here last Sunday and we had both tanks going and our sump.....plus ran a cord to the neighbor's house for their sump. It's always better to get a bigger one than one that just won't do the job.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:01 AM
Jasper's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48912
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTate View Post
Battle Creek got clobbered by the storms last night, and I am one of the unfortunate many that lost power! Consumer's website says that the hardest hit areas (Battle Creek) may not get power back until Wednesday evening!

So, I was frantically going store to store to find a generator last night, but everywhere I checked in BC was sold out already (8 pm). I figured this would happen, as I tried dragging the fam out to the store earlier to get one, only to be stalled by the wife's attempt to track down relatives who we could borrow one from. That failed, and so did my attempt to find one that late!

So I settled on a Stanley power converter that hooks up to a car battery and supplies 500 watts of power. I was able to plug in a 300w heater and one Koralia 3 powerhead for water movement. The tank temp was down to 71 degrees when I did this last night and after running all night without any problems it was back up to 80 at 5:00 am.

Does anybody have an idea of how long a new cheap car battery will run one of these power converters? It was still going strong this morning, but I can't imagine it will last until Wednesday evening. I guess if it dies, I can just swap it out with my car battery and recharge it!

I was really wanting to find a generator (and I definitely will be getting one before the next big storm!), but all-in-all I am pretty happy with the power converter! If only it could run a 46" LCD and a PS3....

Is there anything other than the heater and water movement to be concerned with until Wednesday?

Thanks,

Keith
Your water will be fine not being skimmed for a few days but you need a way to get some oxygen in your water, might want to spring for a cheap air pump and stone so your animals don't suffocate

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2011, 09:36 AM
BCTate's Tank Specs

Thanks for the replys! I do have a battery powered air pump I can use. Going to Home Depot in K-Zoo after work today (I love Holiday pay!) to look for a generator, so I will pick up some air line to get that going. Thanks for the advice!
Old 05-30-2011, 12:05 PM
Del's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48309
My Mood: Mellow

I hope everything goes well with your tank. Btw, you can get the 10% off Home Depot coupons at any post office. They have new resident packets that you get when you move and they are inside that. I know the post office in my area has the mover packets in their area that is always open.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:02 PM
mth1993's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48309
My Mood: Brooding

I just got a whole house generator and am getting ready to sell my old (barly used) 7.5kva gas generator with transfer switch. If you are interested, I will give you a great deal and can meet part way (for the price of gas).

Mike
Old 05-30-2011, 03:17 PM
TomToro's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48381
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by mth1993 View Post
I just got a whole house generator and am getting ready to sell my old (barly used) 7.5kva gas generator with transfer switch. If you are interested, I will give you a great deal and can meet part way (for the price of gas).

Mike
Hey Mike,
Any chance you would pm me with who you got it with, what brand, how much it cost and what the wattage is? I'm getting quotes of prices all over the place with me doing a lot of the ground prep. I'm looking for a guy to do it all, but not break the bank. I'd appreciate any info. Thanks!
Tom
Old 05-30-2011, 08:56 PM
airplanes's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48197

Pm sent.......
Old 05-31-2011, 06:51 AM
BCTate's Tank Specs

Default Found one!

I was able to get an 8000w generator from my cousin yesterday after work, so everything is up and running! I am still in the market for one, so if anyone nearby has a great deal on one, I'm interested!
Old 05-31-2011, 06:54 AM
BCTate's Tank Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mth1993 View Post

Mike
Sent you a PM
Old 05-31-2011, 08:10 AM
kane720's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48111
My Mood: Goofy

sorry to hijack thread but if one of you still have a gen. for sale. i'm in the market for one also please lmk thanks alot john
Old 05-31-2011, 09:27 AM
BCTate's Tank Specs

Well, wife just called and said the generator ran for 5 minutes this morning, then shut off. Plenty of gas, circuit breakers not tripped, here we go again!

So, if there is anyone out there with an available gen for sale, please let me know! I may be able to come by shortly to pick it up!

Keith
Old 05-31-2011, 10:17 AM
new2salt09's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48817
My Mood: Lurking

check the oil some small engins have a low oil sencer to shut them down

1 members found this post helpful.
top Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2011, 10:23 AM
BCTate's Tank Specs

Thanks,

Trying to talk my wife through the various scenarios over the phone! I love her to death, but she doesn't have any desire to get her hands dirty! Leaving work in an hour, to troubleshoot it myself. Thanks for the advice!
Old 06-01-2011, 11:29 AM
slapshot's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48331
My Mood: Fine

You can also hook your battery up to your car with jumper cables and recharge it. An hour every 24 hours would probably keep you going.

Tags
cheap, for sale, generator, heater, job, koralia, par, powerhead, pump, sale, skimmer, sump, swap, tank, tanks, water