Support Our Sponsors
Support Our Sponsors  Become a Sponsor
Tropicorium   

Old 10-17-2011, 08:12 PM
soverjas's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48166
My Mood: Cool
Default How to start cycle using dry rock

So I am in the process of starting the new system. I am using dry (reef saver) rock. without using uncured rock I will have to add something to kick start the cycle. I don't want to use a live fish and potentially kill it in the process nor do I want to put a piece of shrimp and stink up the house. I need some other options. I think I saw some where where I can get some ammonia that comes in a kit with some bacteria in a bottle for starting new systems. Dr. something's. I have a bottle of Nutrafin Cycle in the closet but I am pretty sure I need to have an ammonia source before I start dosing this stuff or there wont be anything for the bacteria to feed on to start establishing itself. What do you suggest for this type of start up.

Nutrafin Cycle
Members of Michigan Reefers have rated post as the most helpful. Skip right to it!
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
not new but newbie question-cure/cycle dry rock lwillis22 New to the Hobby 6 11-26-2012 11:08 PM
Can I use my freshwater goldfish flakes to jump start my first cycle? wick001 New to the Hobby 8 04-25-2008 06:21 PM
How long for cycle to start? patedship Reef Discussion 30 05-10-2007 02:13 PM
cycle of white dead rock to coraline live rock toddman74 New to the Hobby 6 10-30-2005 03:39 PM
Is it OK to start the cycle now? lightngsvt New to the Hobby 15 02-17-2005 12:02 PM

Old 10-17-2011, 08:45 PM
reefone's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48038
My Mood: Mellow

most dry rock has enough dead stuff still in the rock to start the cycle. u can also use a couple pinches of fish food to start it. i know a guy on another forum that peed in his tank to start the cycle which i dont recomend.lol
Old 10-17-2011, 09:13 PM
chadf's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48144

Use fish food or get a little piece of LR from your LFS and let it sit for a couple days and then throw it in. There won't be anything in your dry rock to cycle with if you ask me.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:24 PM
grreefkeeper's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 49504
My Mood: Fine

A pinch of fish food will feed the building bacteria. You will need to introduce the bacteria from another source though. As suggested above I would recommend "seeding" the tank with a small piece of cured live rock. This will essentially spread the good stuff to the dry rock and turn it "live". Be patient though as the cycle will take longer with less active colonies at the start. Don't be fooled by the clean appearance of a new tank as it will go through changes eventually. Be patient and good luck!

Josh
Old 10-17-2011, 09:30 PM
Wuton's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 58854

Personally, I had no access to new live rock, and the old live rock I did have, had aptasias on it. I used a piece of shrimp. I do not recall ever noticing a smell from the tank though. Really though, anyway to add something that will decompose will kick start the cycle, from what I understand. Typically we tend to use things that are native to the environment we are trying to duplicate, but I do not think it really matters too much in the grand scheme of things.

Best of luck with the new project.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:38 PM
Jessemac's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48162

Quote:
Originally Posted by soverjas View Post
So I am in the process of starting the new system. I am using dry (reef saver) rock. without using uncured rock I will have to add something to kick start the cycle. I don't want to use a live fish and potentially kill it in the process nor do I want to put a piece of shrimp and stink up the house. I need some other options. I think I saw some where where I can get some ammonia that comes in a kit with some bacteria in a bottle for starting new systems. Dr. something's. I have a bottle of Nutrafin Cycle in the closet but I am pretty sure I need to have an ammonia source before I start dosing this stuff or there wont be anything for the bacteria to feed on to start establishing itself. What do you suggest for this type of start up.

Nutrafin Cycle
There is this one I have seen before. But there is another and I dont think this is it. I see a video on it and it is a Guy with a PHD in marine biology or something out of california I believe. Wish I could remember. I will do some more research. I think I even wrote it down, If only I could find all my notes, half my stuff is still packed from the move...lol cant wait to see your system up and running, very nice setup. best of luck
Old 10-17-2011, 10:38 PM
soverjas's Tank Specs

I put the sand, rock and water in last night finishing adding the rest of the water just now. I will be seeding the tank from the live rock from my other system once the ammonia starts to die down and my nitrite starts to spike in this system. I will use frozen fish food for now adding a cube a day for a week until I see a rise in ammonia then start adding the bottled bacteria. A little cloudy yet and I am not happy with the flow for even cycling with the 1 MP10. Going to have to bit the bullet and order the 2nd MP10 come next pay day. Dropped a old Hydor pump from the closet in there for more circulation and almost killed myself when I found out the wires where frayed going into the pump.
Attached Thumbnails
How to start cycle using dry rock-imag0693.jpg
Old 10-18-2011, 12:17 AM
reefone's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48038
My Mood: Mellow

all u need is 1 cube of food to start the cycle. no need to waste all the extra food. even if u build up a big population of nitrifing bacteria once u stop ghost feeding the tank it will start to die back until it reaches a level that matches ur bioload.

i started my 240g with 250# of lr that i bleached and used about 5# of lr that i bought at the lfs. i also bought a bottle of some kind of nitrifing bacteria. the tank took 2-3 weeks to cycle. great thing about dead lr is no pests.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:23 AM
ddraps24's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48170
My Mood: Lurking

seachem stability has worked good for me, despite the directions i still waited a month
Old 10-18-2011, 11:02 AM
rmalone's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48439

I would just put one cube of frozen food in and get some mb-7 or prodibio bio-digest. You should be able to get a baby cycle and establish bacteria in short order. No skimming just let her run for a few weeks and watch the ammonia and nitrite.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:38 AM
reeferdale's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48357
My Mood: Lurking

as long as you have the bacteria to add, you can just add a little household ammonia. Make sure it is just ammonia and not some sort of cleaning solution that contains ammonia and other chemicals. As a poster above mentioned, once you get the bacteria and ammonia in the same tank, they are going to work together to form an equalibrium (sp?). The more ammonia, the more bacteria will grow until it consumes the ammonia, then it will die back.

If at all possible, I would add a small piece of live rock along with the bacteria you have.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:22 PM
blasterman's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 49505

Dude, been cycling fresh and salt water tanks for over 20 years. Some tanks from dead rock, other's from live rock. Some thing I've learned and others I'll fight to death about:

Best method of cycling a tank is getting live rock from an *established* tank. Note by "established" I mean a tank with fish in it. All too often fish stores sell live rock in tanks with no fish in it, so there's very little bacteria on it because they don't have anything to eat. Better than dry rock because there's other critters on the rock, but you still might see a cyle as bacteria on the rock have to grow to catch up to your bioload.

Worst method of cycling is throwing a chunk of food or dead shrimp in a tank and letting it rot. Yes, decaying matter converts to ammonia as proteins break down, but the process is very long and isn't very stable. Not to mention it produces toxins and huge amounts of nitrate.

I've also used ammonia 'doping' via a standard bottle of house hold ammonia, and this works really good for tanks starting from dead or dry rock. Far superior to the old school method of torturing fish. When the ammonia drops to zero after a few weeks, do a water change and add fish. Works perfectly.

I'm a harsh critic of the 'bacteria in a bottle' or bag products. Theory is that nitrobacter and cousins go into spore form (hibernation) when placed in an air-tight bottle, but I don't buy it. If aerobic bacteria can live in an airtight bottle without 02 or food why can't they live on the moon?

By far the best method of all is to mix some LR or live sand from an established tank in with your dry rock. Even a little helps. After a week if your ammonia checks out zero due to no die off then you can add a small amount of live stock. Monitor ammonia closely, and if it still check out zero then things are good. Most often this method results in little ammonia issues *if* the seeded live rock or sand came from a stocked tank. You can combine a few drops of ammonia with the seeded LR to hurry things along, but this should be reserved for situations where you want to stock really, really fast, such as migrating tanks, etc. Usually a few chunks of LR or live sand combined with dead rock does fine one it's own provided you don't add live stock too fast.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:38 PM
rmalone's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48439

I would agree with most of what blasterman said, except that the various bacteria in a bottle are junk. I have seen several tanks, with good skimmers, get a very obvious benefit from adding prodibio or mb7 (the benefit was that algae problems cleaned up and nitrates levels went down), this was without adding a carbon source like vodka, etc.

Bacteria is very good at surviving in less than optimal conditions. There are deep water wells that harbor Xanthamonas campestris bacteria (a very serious problem on geranium plants, when you have a problem with this bacteria you dump the whole crop, period). Mind you there are no geraniums at the bottom of deep water wells, nor sunlight and very little 02. My only point is that viable bacterial agents can survive some very harsh, less than ideal, conditions.

I wont even get into why there are no bacteria on the moon, though a lack of water, nutrients and atmosphere might have a little to do with the situation.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:43 PM
soverjas's Tank Specs

Thanks for all the comments. I guess I was really looking for a quick way to kick start my cycle with a ammonia source. I tossed in a cube and 28 hours later it was testing .70ppm so I am good to go.

I have been documenting the build on youtube.

My RBTA split today. I had only bought it a couple weeks ago for the the other system.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:49 PM
soverjas's Tank Specs

soverjas***39;s Channel - YouTube
Word!

Tags
250, algae, aqua, clean, cube, cycle, dead, dosing, dry rock, feeding, fish, food, light, live, live fish, live rock, marine, pump, reef, rock, setup, shrimp, system, tank, video