Reef Discussion A forum for general reef and marine aquaria discussion

Support Our Sponsors
Support Our Sponsors  Become a Sponsor
Tropicorium   

Old 05-18-2005, 04:14 PM
J.Almaraz's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48114
Default Elegance Coral Care

Where do you place your Elegance Coral (Inches below water?)and what kind of light does it required?

What do they eat and how often?

feed back will be appreciated.
Members of Michigan Reefers have rated post as the most helpful. Skip right to it!
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Elegance Coral crimson19 Selling Forums 0 08-18-2011 10:25 PM
Elegance Coral HappyCoral Selling Forums 3 08-17-2010 07:28 PM
Elegance Coral Verne Felty Reef Discussion 17 04-09-2009 08:36 PM
Looking for elegance coral!! BOODARE03 Want to Buy 19 12-10-2006 11:13 AM
elegance coral BOODARE03 Want to Buy 6 09-24-2006 11:22 PM

Old 05-18-2005, 11:15 PM
DLBerlin's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 49272
My Mood: Shocked

wellllll
99.999999% of elegance corals imported in the last few years have died. If you were lucky enough to have found one from a reefer that has been alive in captivity for a few years it would need med. light- mine is about 20-25" below a 400w mh.
It will eat any small meaty food-mine likes chopped krill and shrimp.
It really gets to me that stores are still selling these! Even the ones that look healthy in the store end up dying.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:53 AM
J.Almaraz's Tank Specs

Mine has been in the tank for 3 weeks, doing great I placed near the bottom few days back, I re-directed the flow, I moved some rocks away Scooby Doo gave me that advise also. Just yesterday after my trip the Elegance was wide open again and happy. Scooby Doo told me about what is going on at this time with those corals, I did not know about that.

My frogspawn was shrunk as well, yesterday I placed in the sand bed and it is happy and wide open.

I will start to feed my elegance, brain and Frogspawn corals tonight.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by J.Almaraz; 05-19-2005 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:07 AM
Premium Member

mameloot's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48224

Is there anyone aquaculturing elegence?

I'd really like to eventually get some if home reef strains are developed. It's weird that they used to be sustainable, but are no longer.

Or is it just that the ones that used to be kept were being measured successful in the short term, but not the long?
Old 05-19-2005, 10:17 AM
DLBerlin's Tank Specs

No its some type of infection that they are getting in the shipping process. Not found in the wild. They blow up like a balloon-tentacles get very short, never recover.
The one I have has been in captivity a minimum of 4 yrs now. It's very hardy-but it was imported before the illness struck.
There is virtually no chance that new imports will survive.
I havent heard of anyone aquaculturing them.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:25 AM
tmkuroda's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48180

WOW! How long does it normally take for them to die? I googled the coral and it sure is beautiful and says it is VERY easy to care for. I take it you can not frag it like other corals?
Old 05-19-2005, 10:38 AM
DLBerlin's Tank Specs

info on the problem:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...hreadid=310425

It can be very quick or take several months

Lps are touchier to frag and more prone to infections. You cant just snap a peice off like an sps.
And they dont branch like the euphyllia's so you cant just break off a head. I think very few people are willing to risk a healthy elegance coral to try it.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:17 PM
J.Almaraz's Tank Specs

Talking

Deb,
Wow, this is serius stuff, I read the article, I am a little Nervius but not much because this coral has been in captivity close to 5 weeks , I got 1-2 weeks to go, has not show any signs of been sick.

My Elegance is so Beautiful I can't get enough of it, It is round in shape, you can see it at my web page, W will post a better picture tomorrow to its current place so you can see it.

I hopeing my Elegance is the .01 % survival rate

Last edited by J.Almaraz; 05-19-2005 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:00 PM
Planecrazy's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 49460

Does anyone know what happened to Borneman on RC? His forum has been locked and I'd like to know how his elegance study is going.

-Aaron
Old 05-19-2005, 07:02 PM
Tim!'s Tank Specs

Zip Code: 75070
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally posted by Planecrazy
Does anyone know what happened to Borneman on RC? His forum has been locked and I'd like to know how his elegance study is going.
As would I, and other people, who donated time, money, or materials to the project... There's been a few threads on RC about what happened, etc... they normally get contentious and closed up pretty fast. Seems to be the same 4-5 people just assuming the worst and spouting off rumors with no basis.

I haven't looked in on it for some time now (months?), but I've little doubt whatever he comes up with will make it back to the hobby... He's not likely to just "disappear" or anything.

FWIW: I think that 99.9% theory is a bit extreme... Seriously, from what I've heard in the more "practical" circles (i.e. Wet Web Media folks and a few others) it's more like 50%. You generally know one way or the other after about 6-7 weeks. These are TOUGH corals, and as long as they don't come down with the bug, they're good for a long time (although others say you're doing good to get a year out of them...). They just eat like pigs and MUST be "fed" several times weekly...

After the "elegance flu" the most common cause of death is NOT feeding them enough... They don't come *close* to living on light and plankton alone - must have diced, meaty, chunky stuff often.

Also - in terms of captive propogation, it's not easy - but, again, according to Cesnales, Pro & Calfo over at WWM, very doable and they've not lost one (yet)...

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-0...ture/index.htm

I'm tempted to try it...

Deb - if yours is that old, you should give it a whirl... Think of the animals you could save by providing captive grown ones (oh yeah, and think of what you could charge for captive fragged Elegance!!!)
Old 05-19-2005, 07:05 PM
tszetela's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48111

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/an...?s=&forumid=84

Forum Closed For Now (03/31/2005 until 03/31/2006)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Due to lack of available time on Ericís part, we are closing this forum to new posts. Iíd like to publicly thank Eric for all the time he has devoted to this forum over the past few years. Hopefully things will slow down for him and he will be able to resume his participation in this forum again.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:42 PM
Planecrazy's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 49460

Heh....guess I haven't check for a month or so. It's really too bad that he is not able to participate in the forum.

-Aaron
Old 05-20-2005, 09:45 AM
pjr's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48168
My Mood: Lurking

Are you feeding the Elegance? I'd give it cyclopseeze or Liquid Life once or twice a week just to be safe.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:12 AM
J.Almaraz's Tank Specs

I feed it yesterday with brine shrimp, I will try something a little biger like little chunk of shrimp, My elegance is Big like 2.5 times the size of a soft ball, after my 7-10 week waiting period I will think seriusly to frag it.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:24 AM
Tim!'s Tank Specs

Zip Code: 75070
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally posted by J.Almaraz
I feed it yesterday with brine shrimp, I will try something a little biger like little chunk of shrimp, My elegance is Big like 2.5 times the size of a soft ball, after my 7-10 week waiting period I will think seriusly to frag it.
Jesus - I'd take 7-10 weeks as the *baseline* of whether it will survive or not... I'd wait closer to 6-9 months before fragging... You've got to give it time to establish and SHOW GROWTH IN YOUR TANK before you frag, otherwise it may very well still succumb to the "elegance flu" - or even if not that, some other type of infection leading to necrosis...

I think it's a "given" that almost all (perhaps this is where the 99.99% figure comes from) Elegance corals have the bacteria/virus/parasite/pathogen (whatever) already *in them* that causes this problem - it's just a matter of whether they can fight it off and survive it. From my understanding, however, once that illness presents, it's 100% fatal. In other words, once it shows *at all*, the coral is toast.

Let it just get established, grow, and provide you some enjoyment for a number of months before you think about doing anything with it. Again - the #1 rule that's been expressed to me (anecdotal - not "scientific") is that once you place the coral in a location and it gives full polyp expansion, DO NOT MOVE IT.

Besides - fragging an Elegance takes some serious intestinal fortitude... See the article linked above for more...

Tags
borneman, coral, corals, crab, dlberlin, eat, elegance coral, extreme, feeding, fish, frag, frogspawn, healthy, large, light, octopus, par, problem, rare, reef, sand, sps, tank