Go Back   Michigan Reefers » General Interest Forums » Reef Discussion

Reef Discussion A forum for general reef and marine aquaria discussion

Support Our Sponsors
Support Our Sponsors  Become a Sponsor
Moby Dick Pet Store  Premium Aquatics 

Old 01-01-2006, 11:25 PM
PaintGuru's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48165
Default Your house humidity in the winter?

What are your house humidity levels during this time of year as a result of your tanks? I am worried that my humidity level in my house (50-60%) is a bit on the high side as a result of my tank. Do most other people's houses run at this level?
Members of Michigan Reefers have rated post as the most helpful. Skip right to it!
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who else has humidity issues in their house? tewkes Reef Discussion 26 01-04-2010 04:42 PM
house flood, might have to move tank out of house cchase231 Advanced Topics 8 07-29-2009 02:01 AM
Frags for open house on Sunday at Jeffs (stiffljp ) house nbd13 Selling Forums 9 01-15-2006 03:48 PM
Humidity? Rook Lighting, Filtration and Other Equipment 6 01-05-2005 09:48 AM

Old 01-01-2006, 11:30 PM
Mike's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48197
My Mood: Twisted

Right now mine is at 35% but I only have the 50 gallon running at this time.

Humidity is the reason why I have teh exhaust fan in the room behind the large tank. I also am installing a large window to air out th basement. The other thing will be adding a cold air return gate to suck in air from teh basement in the sumer time to help dehumidify it.

I think 40-50% is fine, People on the large thread on R/C that talk about this usually are having 60-70% and problems
Old 01-01-2006, 11:30 PM

I always try to keep my home at around 45% humidity for two reasons. 1. My contractor insures all of his work in the home if it stays under 50% humidity. He says that if it goes above that, he won't be responsible for things warping and getting funky. 2. I build guitars and the woods that I use will also warp if the humidity gets too high. I'm not expert on this, but I do know that humidity will mess with the wood in your home, so I'd try to keep it below 50%. Maybe there is a contractor on these boards that can give us a pro answer.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:35 PM
tekknoschtev's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48906

I wish I could get certain portions of my house that humid. My iguana loves the humidity, however, despite at one point having three tanks running in the room, I couldnt get it to stay even at 50%.

The gauge downstairs says that it is 65% humidity in the kitchen/dining room area. The hygrometer in my iguanas cage reads 38%.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:35 PM
PaintGuru's Tank Specs

Well I only have a 90 gal tank, so it isn't like I have all this moisture going up from the tank. Any suggestions on how to lower my RH? I have a dehumidifier in the basement (pretty old), however I don't think the RH downstairs is as bad as the main level.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:40 PM
Mike's Tank Specs

Some of it depends on how well your house breaths. If it is sealed up really well and insulated well you will hold mpre humidity from what I understand.

a 90 gallon I would not think would cause a problem but then again how much are you evaporating in a day?
Old 01-01-2006, 11:42 PM
PaintGuru's Tank Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Some of it depends on how well your house breaths. If it is sealed up really well and insulated well you will hold mpre humidity from what I understand.

a 90 gallon I would not think would cause a problem but then again how much are you evaporating in a day?
Really not that much....I'd say a gallon at the most every day. I have lots of plants as well, which may or may not add to the humidity. Beyond that, no large amounts of showering or anything .
Old 01-01-2006, 11:43 PM
Mike's Tank Specs

Paint this is the thread on R/C I was talking about http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...5&pagenumber=1

I had originally estimated about 500 gallons of water would be in the basement and went through a ton of idea's before deciding on the fan.

At one point I thought of a split A/C unit as well but I think that will not be needed because I have an A/C duct right above the tank.

I had some issues in my old house but I also had about 600-700 gallons of water that was all open (kiddie pools in the basement and my 3 tanks) to evaporation.

Post your questions nad capncapo will try to help you out.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:17 AM
SmellsFishy's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48091

My house is so tight, 1. my furnace hardly ever runs, and 2. I swim from room to room. LoL Seriously tho, I HAVE to crack windows and doors open a couple of times a day otherwise I can't see out my windows. (condensation) And, I only keep my T-stat set 70. I haven't pulled out my sling psychrometer yet, but I'll guess I'm normally @ 45-55% RH.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:10 AM
wbeavers's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48108

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellsFishy
I haven't pulled out my sling psychrometer yet, but I'll guess I'm normally @ 45-55% RH.
I fear most here have no idea what a sling psycrometer is or what wet bulb temperature means.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:58 AM
SmellsFishy's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48091

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbeavers
I fear most here have no idea what a sling psycrometer is or what wet bulb temperature means.
You know, I thought about that AFTER I posted it. But, then I figured, Google is just a click away ;-) Its good to learn. LoL J/K
Old 01-02-2006, 06:22 AM
jblabs's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 49015
My Mood: Stressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellsFishy
My house is so tight, 1. my furnace hardly ever runs, and 2. I swim from room to room. LoL Seriously tho, I HAVE to crack windows and doors open a couple of times a day otherwise I can't see out my windows. (condensation) And, I only keep my T-stat set 70. I haven't pulled out my sling psychrometer yet, but I'll guess I'm normally @ 45-55% RH.
On days in the mid 30's outside go up in your attic and look for moisture up there. A year ago Thanksgiving the temps were near freezing and the outside humidity was high. We came home to water literally dripping from our ceilings all through the house. We had been ruining things in the attic for some time, but the temp/humidity and condensation hit a 'critical mass" and it literally rained in the attic. What a mess.

We doubled the dehumidifier in the basement, added an exhaust fan and fresh air intake in the fish room, and added a humidity controled exhaust fan in the attic. This year was fine.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:29 AM
DLBerlin's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 49272
My Mood: Shocked

I'm running abouy 38% right now-a woodstove for heat dries everything out.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:55 AM
Chipster's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 49240

it should be between 35-45% as soon as windows condensate get a dehumidifier. Chip
Old 01-02-2006, 08:19 AM
waynesreef's Tank Specs

Zip Code: 48085
My Mood: Relaxed

The humidity level is between 35-40% depends on weather. I do turn off the humidifier on the furnace otherwise will be too wet.

Tags
300, 90 gallon, filtration, fish, gallon, heater, large, live, par, positive, problem, questions, refugium, return, shock, sump, tank, tanks, temperature, ups, wanted