Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am fairly new to all this but I currently have a SW tank that I am going to add a sump to. DT is a 40b, sump is going to be a 29 gallon. Outside measurements are 30x12x18 (LxWxH). I am planning on having 3 chambers in it. The first will be 8 inches long with a 16 inch high baffle and will be used for some Chaeto(SP?) and filter sock maybe. Second chamber will be 13 long (to accomadate a skimmer that will have to be elevated..) this will have a baffle to direct flow Under it (approximately 15 inch high baffle, 1 inch from bottom), then it will go to an over baffle 12 inches high to the return section, which will be 8 inches long. So the flow will be: Enter 8 long, 15 high chanber -> over baffle into 13 long, section with skimmer -> under baffle -> over 12 inch high baffle to return section. Anyone have any thoughts or advice on this? Suggested changes? Flow rate will be approximately 400 GPH. Big question, will 1/8 thick glass work for the baffles? Or does it need to be 1/4 thick?

Any thing else I should be concerned with? Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
217 Posts
you may want to lower the height of the divider between sections 1 and 2 so that you have more empty sump capacity for the display tank transit volume. Baffles are usually comprised of three panes of glass/acrylic in an over/under/over configuration. The point of the baffles it to remove bubbles before being pushed back up into the display. In your scenario between section 2 and 3, there really isn't any point to the under/over arrangement... that is, you don't need to go under since the bubbles are already down there. So, either just use one pane as a divider or use three in the aformentioned over/under/over baffle arrangement.

And sure, 1/8 glass is fine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My thought in doing the third section that way was basically that with a long run (13 in) from the other end, bubbles would start to go to the top and would not be at the bottom hence the under first.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes the water enters directly into refuge. If you want to call it that. Not doing a dsb or anything in there just some chaeto and perhaps some live rock might have it go through a filter sock. . It is my understanding that you want the chaeto to tumble.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What do you think are the pros and cons of having the fuge built into the sump vs. being in a separate 20 gal tank? I have the room for the separate fuge tank, and this configuration would keep the sump cleaner and allow for higher flow rates.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts