Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you all know, I am a die hard Hamilton fan, for those of you who run the Phoenix, any input, pros and cons please...............

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
I was a fan of the Hamilton 14K SE bulbs for a long time, but didn't like the large gull wing reflectors. After seeing some tanks with the Phoenix 14K DE bulbs, I got the enclosure/reflectors from Debbie and switched over using the same electronic ballasts. I run T5 actinics only before and after the MH lights are on with a 15 minute overlap.

I like the color and I lost the large reflectors hanging under the canopy! Just an observation....it seems that the Phoenix DE bulb is lasting a lot longer than the Hamilton SE bulbs did for me. I also have great growth on my sps & lps.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I have ran both starting with the Hamilton 14k DE for about a year and switched to the Phoenix 14k. I have found the phoenix to be just as blue if not bluer, and with the reported higher par it made it a no-brainer for me. I have no complaints with either of these bulbs they both worked very well.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Can't say enough good things about the Phoenix bulbs. I run three 250W over my 220. Perfect color - no actinic supplement either. :D

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I have been using the Phoenix for past 2.5 year and I like it. Although it is rated 14K but they are not blue at all, specially when run with HQI ballast. I use to run Hamilton 14K with e-ballast I thought it was kind too yellow for me. I think Phoenix bulb has the best par rating among the 14k bulbs, I might be wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
One thing you may want to also ask about is what ballast everyone is running with these DE bulbs. Electric130 has a huge thread on RC here and his basic recommendation is to use the HQI magnetic ballast for the best lighting out of the DE bulbs.

Since I run electronic ballasts and have great lighting and growth, I don't know if I can agree unless someone else is running the HQI ballasts and can comment on their tank.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I run 4 halides 2 phoenix and 2 hamilton all 4 are 250 watt double ended and the phoenix are bluer im about to switch to all phoenix, and i use bluline e ballast

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys.

I think I wil get a hold of Deb tomorrow and give thm a try............

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fastford9999 said:
i live 5 minutes from you if you want to see in person the difference
I have actually been wanting to get with you and stop by, would love to see your system, if I was not going out of town this weekend, I would come by with Tony........

1 - 11 of 11 Posts