Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Filter for 280 Gallon Fish Only Build (MUST SEE)

Hi,
My names Anthony. I have one of the oddest shaped tanks on earth. When i got this sucker i built it into the wall and packed 3 x 400 halides on this baby! Wow is what everybody said. Well it turned out i was saying the same dang thing when i was cleaning it. Wow this is a [email protected]#h to clean. that being said i bought a new reef tank and am turning this into my fish only with very lilttle live rock (just a couple LR pillars) So with ver liltle live rock i will have a beef skimmer. This tank was a reeftank so i do have a skimmer. its a six foot tall lifereef venturi driven skimmer rater for 1200 gallons so im on the right page with that. I was wondering if anybody had any other suggestions for filtration? this tank was setup with the " Berlin method" (live rock, sand, and a refugium) Now that i dont have all those high power lights it leaves me space to add a display fuge above inside the conopy top. no am left with a big empty sump. i was thinking about filling the fuge section of the sump with a 12' deep sand bed for anaerobic bacteria to colonize and incorporating a fluidized sand bed filter to colonize arobic bacteria. Its either that or use a big wet/dry packed with either bio balls or matale sheets. Im not big into pictures so ive uploaded videos to really show ya guys what im talking about. im open for suggestions. Also i will be posting more videos about my coral system and water recycling system i have designed. i plan to reuse my waste water from the reef and add it to the fishonly. smart i know lol j/k. thanks for looking guys. im looking forward to the info and opinions.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Looking pretty good. I think I'd make a reactor out of the broken skimmer, if I were you.

I'm a little confused on how the system will work together, but that tank is bad a$$ how you have it built into the wall.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
12 inches deep by 12 inches wide lol.1 cubic foot. 12 feet omg hahah. Here are my plans for my filter room. I will have 2 separate systems. fish only and coral. when doing a water changes on the coral system i plan to save to waste water and top off my fish only system after ive drain my waste from the fish only. the water will not be pristine enough for coral but i think it will do great for a fish only system. Ive attached pictures and will be posting a video update later tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2,496 Posts

Interesting - You are very artistic/creative. Good luch with your design I am very interested to see it come together.

12 inches deep by 12 inches wide lol.1 cubic foot. 12 feet omg hahah. Here are my plans for my filter room. I will have 2 separate systems. fish only and coral. when doing a water changes on the coral system i plan to save to waste water and top off my fish only system after ive drain my waste from the fish only. the water will not be pristine enough for coral but i think it will do great for a fish only system. Ive attached pictures and will be posting a video update later tomorrow.

·
Registered
488 Posts
My only suggestion is you may be able to pull off the f.o. tank with only biopellets if you retro that broken skimmer into a monster reactor

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Let there be heat

I see your point. I come in peace... we don't want no trouble lol...I got an update for ya guys. I've built my heating system. Its a hot water recirculating led tubing heat exchanger. Ill have a video up tmrw via youtube so you can check it out in full detail :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I ran into a couple problems. 1 the pump has thermal protection and shuts down for 15 min every half hour. Who knows this could be a good thing. 2 my temp controller is broken. It was broke when I got it. Blown fuse grrr. The temp was at 58 last night. The temp this morning was 65. So I climbed 8 degrees in about 8 hours. A degree an hour isn't that bad for a crappy coil of pex tubing eh? Im gonna insulate my drain and return line from the tank tonight and add some insulation to The pex lines coming from the hot water heater too. Im gonna also work on making a new coil asap too. Ill keep ya posted guys.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You are very innovative lol. looking forward to see this skimmer running. Hows the tank doing you set up in back of store?
Thank you... Oh the Bio-Cube 180 :victory: its doing good. it completed its cycle and is on its way to becoming a great tank.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts