Michigan Reefers banner
2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  02redZ28 
#1 ·
Hi everyone just wanted some opinions on which fish to get. I have a 29 gallon reef up and running for about 3 years and have 2 fish in it and would like to get another one. Right now I have a Banggai cardinal and a Helfrichi firefish. I am leaning towards a McCosker or a Longfin fairy wrasse but I also like the golden assessor and tail spot blenny. out of these fish which do you think would be the best choice for my tank? I really want a fish that actually swims in the tank both the fish I have in there now only hover in the same area all day. I need to make sure the new fish will not scare the current ones into hiding or worse start to nip at them. Any thoughts about these or any other fish you think might go well in this set up? One fish I really don't want is a clown (just a little too common) but any other suggestions would be appriciated. or any thoughts on why one of these would not work would be great too.

#2 ·
I'm not sure about the wrasses but basslets (the assessor) are usually out in the open quite a bit...I used to have a purple pseudochromis and he was bold and out all the time, but may pick on your firefish and they have a similar shape. I would stay awsy from the tailspot - although its a great fish they "perch" most of the time.

#3 ·
so an assessor is too mean for my tank? does anyone else know anything about the wrasses? I have been researching fish for a while now but a lot of research varies and was hoping someone had a wrasse that could tell me how they generally act. I do plan to order a fish this weekend and would like to be sure about my choice. any help would be great.

#8 ·
thanks jolson they are beautiful I was leaning towards a wrasse but I've heard so much mixed reviews. they are peaceful but I have heard that after they are in the tank for a while they can get nippy. carpenters and McCoskers were mentioned does anyone know anything about them?

#9 ·
What about a royal gramma? Mine is out and pretty active all the time. I'm not sure what kind of corals you have but you should have room for a dwarf angel of some kind. I have a coral beauty with lots of SPS and it doesn't touch any of them. Just keep in mind it's hit and miss with the dwarf angels. I also have a yellow head sleeper goby that is very active and keeps my sand mixed up. Those would all be good additions to add some movement and color to your tank. That's just my two cent on it.

#10 ·
Assessors are really cool fish, but reclusive. I'd think that your tank is too small for most of the fairy wrasses....

How do you feel about any of these....

Royal Gramma
Black Cap Basslet
Chalk Bass
Tobacco Bass
6 line wrasse

Any of the smaller dwarf angels would work too.

Eiblii
Argi
Rusty
Coral Beauty
Flame Back

#11 ·
I've always wanted a coral beauty but have been afraid to get one I have mostly zoo's but also have starburst and yellow polys, mushrooms, gorgonian, and candy cane coral. I also plan to add pom pom xenia to my tank soon. Do you think I should chance it? once they are in your tank it's so hard to get them back out. would a coral beauty be peaceful enough with my firefish? I spent way too much money on him for him to be hiding all the time. I have considered the royal gramma as well but have heard they can become mean the more comfortable they get in a tank. Has anyone else heard this? I have been researching different fish for a couple months now and would really like to get one soon so any thoughts would be a great help

#13 ·
Aggression in angels can be hit or miss.... If you're worried about the firefish, i wouldnt add an angel. I'd get a 6 line wrasse or one of the other fish i listed.

I didnt list them, but many of the pseudochromis dottyback species would work too.

Just stay away from the royal and stawberry....

#14 ·
thank you for all your help I guess the coral beauty is probably out. I really want a fish that will actually swim around the tank will any of the fish mentioned be good with my firefish and swim around most of the day? There's just not alot going on in there until dinner time:) Iv'e seen royal gramma's at the LFS and they just kinda stay in their area all day not really swimming. That's the main reason I was looking into wrasses they actually move around alot. Do chalk bass move around alot? my primary concern is the firefish and just trying to make sure I've got a good choice for my final fish for this tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.