Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you guys think a 400w MH is overkill on a 29? would also be running 2 24" pc's for actinics. I was not wanting to use it because im affraid of the power it will draw, and i prolly have to make a new canopy, but unless i can find a screaming deal on a t-5 set-up, or a smaller MH set-up (100$ ish) then im gonna have to. so i have a couple ?'s

too much light?
is it going to suck power compared to say a 250 w MH or 250w t-5 set-up?
how high should i mount it off of my water (was thinking 18")

·
Registered
248 Posts
Too much

I would say yes, it is overkill. I use a 150W on a 20 gallon and I can keep anything I want. I would saw 250W for a 29 gallon is more than enough, and 400W is too much. You won't be able to keep any low light corals and you will likely have heat issues.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Just use a lower wattage Radium bulb.....
Some may pipe in and say that you will risk the bulb "exploding" because its "overdriven"
Radiums are UL listed metal halide bulbs and are internally protected to draw just the amount of wattage it needs to work.
I currently have two 175W bulbs running on two 400 watt ballasts on one of my setups.....I got the ballasts cheap and put them to use.

Have fun,
Dan

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Hey lilwillywilly, I have a 175W mogul base halide for sale for $100 if interested. I have a 10K bulb and 20K bulb for it, as well as a horizontal reflector (installed now) and a vertical pendant reflector.

It was used for a 50gal breeder grow out tank, but I ended up breaking the tank down. Its an awesome light, Hamilton ballast. LMK if interested, PM me, and I can send you some pics.

Also, I would say the 400W is overkill for a 29gal for sure, especially if you want to supplement it with more light. I ran a 250 HQI over a 50gal breeder for a while and was struggling to keep most LPS and shrooms from being completely pissed off.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
In past experiences (x2) I have had UL labeled bulbs explode when not over-driven.
I believe some digital ballasts would work OK, but dig. bal.(no hardware or bulb) are about $500-600and I doubt your 400 is a dig.
The UL label only applies when using the correct ballast w/ bulb. Not to mention the ballast will be cooking! All that enrgy stays within ballast and does not get discharged properly by the bulb.
The risk of fire/ harm to family or pets is not worth it.
IMO

1 - 7 of 7 Posts