Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going with 500 LBS of dry rock for my 320 build. What dry rock do you like the best Macro from macrorock or BRS eco dry?

If neither what do you recommend? I dont want to do live because of the crap it comes with. I plan on moving over 4 good sized peices from my existing tanks to seed the new rock.

Thanks

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have Marco in my tank and am very pleased with it. I hear it is almost exactly the same as the BRS. I have also heard that the Pukani is the lightest per size and most pourous dry rock you can get.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yay for free shipping!!! I agree though, I like the macro, wonderful stuff. Provides lots of room for things to hide in (as long as you don't mind not seeing crustaceans much, I don't) also provides more surface area for bacteria and other beneficial micros to live and thrive. I'd suggest throwing a circulation pump in the back or side throwing water through the rock for maximum bio filtration utilizing your rock. I personally like the Marineland Maxijets the most. They are the most affordable and work as a powerhead or the circulation pump. Just wonderful.

Sorry for the strong minded post as a newb on the forum. I am fairly experienced with reef aquariums, no expert, but experienced. :) I love the hobby, going to school for the career. :)

·
Registered
718 Posts
i thought there dry rock was just base rock, not very porous at all, though i could be wrong i haven't been there in a while.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
How much a pound? Do they have 500 lbs worth?

Tom
A little confusion on one of those prices. We sold about 4000 lbs of well conditioned but not very shapely or porous LR for $.99 per lb. That's all gone and a somewhat better grade of conditioned LR is available for $2. per lb. The Marco rock is $3.50 per lb $3. after 10 lbs. We unpacked 3000 lbs of it yesterday and we could sure make you a deal for 500 lbs, and you could choose your sizes and shapes, plus instant gratification. Also, when shipping it in, more than 10 % ends up as small rubble on the bottom of the box. An important point I haven't seen made anywhere, is that this rock strongly raises the calcium level and encourages coralline algae growth. That's very important to us here, as we don't use calcium reactors and often suffer from lower calcium levels.

·
Registered
718 Posts
A little confusion on one of those prices. We sold about 4000 lbs of well conditioned but not very shapely or porous LR for $.99 per lb. That's all gone and a somewhat better grade of conditioned LR is available for $2. per lb. The Marco rock is $3.50 per lb $3. after 10 lbs. We unpacked 3000 lbs of it yesterday and we could sure make you a deal for 500 lbs, and you could choose your sizes and shapes, plus instant gratification. Also, when shipping it in, more than 10 % ends up as small rubble on the bottom of the box. An important point I haven't seen made anywhere, is that this rock strongly raises the calcium level and encourages coralline algae growth. That's very important to us here, as we don't use calcium reactors and often suffer from lower calcium levels.
is it LR or dead rock?
also what would you compare the "somewhat" better grade too?

·
Registered
377 Posts
eco rock - brs

i wold defiately go with the BRS Pukani Dry Aquarium Live Rock. i purchased 300 pounds and cold not be happier, a couple months later i picked up 100 pounds of the BRS "Reef Saver" Eco Dry Aquarium Live Rock and was very disappointed.

i would highly reccomend though the Pukani Dry Aquarium Live Rock from brs.

imo

ems

·
Registered
549 Posts
i used both pukani from BRS and the marco on my build. You can requestr lg pieces of pukani - mine are well over 12", 4 rocks for 100# but very porous so they are big. Also lots of openings for things to live in/arround. Only problem they are difficult to build with. Marco is great to build with. Might consider 100-200# of pukani lg size for show rocks and the marco type from the trop or Marco for building caves and alike. Take a look at my 245 build thread for pics of the Pukani. Very little rubble on the marco I got.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Very little rubble on the Marco i got. I got a 50 pound box and it pretty much filled my 50 gallon. you can check out picks in my tank build. All the rubble I received went into my sump and thre was barley a pound of it all togehter.

Here is a link to their 100 pound box for $215

100 Pounds Key Largo RockFree Shipping *in the continental US*

All in all, I don't think you could go wrong any of these ways. I would recomend the trop, price is not that much more, you get to pick out exactly what you want, you can have it now, and get to support a LFS all in one fail swoop!

Good luck!
Matt L

·
Registered
465 Posts
Brs

I went with 200 pounds of
Pukani back in summer. I have to say Bulk Reef Supply has the best customer service I have ever delt with. They called me 3 times while picking out the rocks, telling me the weights and aprox shapes... I think I might go with 150 lbs of Reef Saver Rock... I'm doing a 300 DD build ;) and throw a little branching Tonga in for good measure ;)

·
Administrator
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Macro Rock

Ordered 300 lbs of Macro Rock and Received 350 (yes I weighted each box). Looks great and stacks nice.

I have 50lbs of BRS and 100 lbs saved from my other tanks to seed the dead.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts