Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided today that I'd like to get into saltwater. Read through and read a few beginners posts and have come up with my first question.

I have two tanks right now. A 29 gal freshwater tank that's currently hosting a catfish, and a 55 gal tank (48" long) that's just sitting around in storage. I'm planning to build up the 55 gal and then probably get rid of the 29 gal, but after reading a few posts I'm curious if I'm better off waiting and finding a wider tank before I get started.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Personally, I have had a 55 gallon and currently have a 90 with 18 inch width. If you wanted to stay with a 50, go with a 50 gallon breeder. But, I wouldn't go less than an 18inch width. Gives so much more room for aquascaping, rather more area for options versus a longer tank. 24 inches width is even better, IMO.

Welcome to the hobby and to MR. Once you go salt you'll never go back. I know I wont!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already have the 50 gallon (non-breeder) tank, so going with a breeder isn't an option unless I sell the one I have and get something else.

I just want to try to make sure that I'm not going to be wasting my time if I stick with what I have.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
55g are junk imo, most can't be drilled. You will also be very disappointed in the future as you learn things, start to catch on with such a narrow tank. I have a 13" wide tank (60g) and I will eventually pitch it. I want to go big, so I will probably go with 6x2x22". I love to the 2ft wide tanks, you have so much more room. Even if I were to do a 60g, I'd have a 24x24x24 before I'd go back to such a narrow tank.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Tanks are going to be your cheapest expense or petty darn close. The bigger the better and more stable your parameters will be. I would set up a29 before I would a 55 but yet for some reason I just have a hatred for them

·
Registered
388 Posts
I had a 55 set up and I was very unhappy with the limitations that the width set. Also I would never setup an undrilled tank again. Nothing but trouble and all the unsightly equipment that you have to hang all over distracts from the beauty of the tank. I have learned the hard way, and I really wish that I would have done things the proper way the first time. It would have saved me lots of time, money and headaches.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.