Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 6wk old tank water was perfect had the break in algae for a week. So I did 10 gallon water change on a 50 gallon tank. Woke up in the morning and everything was dead. Water is perfect salinity is to. I lost my PH tester so I can't check that could that be the problem???

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
This will probably get sent to a different forum.

From the limited info we have there are serveral things that could have caused everything in your tank to die. Can you tell more about how the tank is set up what's in it and for how long. Also, you need to test more than pH, you need to test for ammonia, nitrates, and alkalinity just to start. My first advice would be to find a local fish store that will test your water for you. Second, don't buy anything else until you completely understand what happened and have fixed the problem.

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
The only thing I can't check is the PH I lost the tester. Salinity and temp and water is perfect.
What is perfect? How fast did you do the water change? What did you use to measure the salinity? Again, take a water sample to a store and have it tested for what I've mentioned above. Also what is the source of your water, is it RO/DI?

·
Administrator
2,511 Posts
Water

take your water to the LFS and test for copper. When you buy a fish do you use the water in the bag with the fish? If so did you add any new fish recently or during your water change?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Tap Water

I have only heard bad things about tap water, I was told to never use it and when i set up my new tank (before i put anything live in it) I needed to add a little water just to get my pumps running so i just used tap water. I was told that the tap water raised my phosphates and created a lot of brown algea that i am still dealing with! Idk if you have algea issues but it grew all over my small head of frog spawn and practically sufficated it. I couldn't turkey baste it fast enough lol

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
Its tap water. I added the salt and some prime and a air stone for 40 mind then let it sit another 30mins.
As mentioned above it may be contaminated with copper, if so the tank and everything in it is garbage. It is so important for reasons like this to use RO/DI water. Slowing algae growth is another very good reason.

When mixing the salt you need to get the water up to temp then dial in salinity. The new salt should be +/- 0.001 from what it is in the tank. Because you need to be so precise, you want to use a refractometer and not a hydrometer. I don't recommend any other additives or treatments. When adding the new water it is important to add it to the sump, if you don't have a sump then you need to add it very very slowly i.e. over the course of an hour.

Still not sure if that was what killed your clean up crew, once we know all the param's we can start to rule things out.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss. While water changes can be one of the most beneficial maintenance you can perform, they can also be the most destructive - especially in smaller/newer systems. I subscribe to the belief that stable is more important than ideal. You need to be careful about matching the parameters of the new water to your system. If the temp, alk, ph, etc. is off you can do more harm than good. I would recommend getting the basic test kits (kh, cal, ph04 and no3) and testing both tank and new water before a change.

Don't get discouraged. This hobby is about rebounding and learning from mini disasters. Just do your best to learn from others and limit your own mistakes :)

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss. While water changes can be one of the most beneficial maintenance you can perform, they can also be the most destructive - especially in smaller/newer systems. I subscribe to the belief that stable is more important than ideal. You need to be careful about matching the parameters of the new water to your system. If the temp, alk, ph, etc. is off you can do more harm than good. I would recommend getting the basic test kits (kh, cal, ph04 and no3) and testing both tank and new water before a change.

Don't get discouraged. This hobby is about rebounding and learning from mini disasters. Just do your best to learn from others and limit your own mistakes :)
+1
Now is the time to be patient. Identifying the source of what may have killed your livestock is crutial and will determine what you do next. Give us a break down of your system.
Are you running a skimmer, or do you plan to?
What is your water circulation like, i.e. powerheads in the main tank?
Do you have a sump?
Other than Live Rock, what else is in the tank?
Very important? What did you use to mix the water change water in?
And, has it been used for anything else, if so what?

Have you added any other additives to the tank in the last 6 weeks?
Have you been feeding the tank during the past 6 weeks?
What are your Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, PH, Alk, Salinity, Temp at?

There are endless factors that can come into play in this hobby. Ask lots of questions!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.