Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You have a drilled 75g 48"x18"x21" tank it's going to have sps in it and I was wondering what everyone's opinion on this set up is
6x54w w/ ati bulbs as follow 3 aquablue special and 3 blue+
Now my question is this too much par should I drop it down to 4x54w and what brands of fixtures do you recommend that is good yet not too expensive

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
You will want 6 bulbs if you are going to do SPS. As far as bulb combo, I would start with with something like 3 blue +, two aquablue specials and a fiji purple or a purple plus. If you want a little more blue, change one of the aquablues for another blue+. Should be a good place to start.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
You probably won't need to use all 6 if you use good bulbs. I had 4 on my 75 gallon but used a good fixture and all ATI bulbs. No problems with any sps. In my 90, I have all sps (one frag of palys) and use 6 bulbs - but could probably run 5. I would get the bigger fixture, then add bulbs as needed. I bleached several sps montis with 4 on my 75.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
4 good T5HO bulbs over a 75 gallon is more than enough for SPS if you have a good ballast and good reflectors. Clean water helps both the light transmitence and coral health. 6 bulbs would not only be hard to fit with individual reflectors, but it would be over kill on an 18" tank. Any fixture without individual parabolic reflectors for each lamp is a WASTE of money. I retro all my T5 personally, that way I know each component is to my specs. But some people like the look of a fixture better. If you have enough money to do a 6 bulb fancy fixture you might want to consider a 2 bulb T5 and some CREE or bridgelux LEDs, a little more pricey to set up per watt, but you get more light out of the LED per watt and they are supposed to last 5-10 years or more. I would not go all LED personally, I buy into the rumor that you need some other shades in there that LED cannot produce yet. But a T5 LED hybrid would definetly be a good idea.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have a 90G with 4 retro fit ATI T5's with a an Icecap 660 ballast and individual reflectors. My tank is pro dominantly SPS and these lights are more than enough. I am even growing some Acros in the sand bed.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sweet I was thinking it was a little overkill plus I only plan on having this tank for about 5 years after that I get my 250 rimless. So now I plan on 4x54w
2 aquablue specials
1 blue+
1 Fiji purple
.how's that sound also I plan on a fixture just due to the fact I don't want to hang it and don't want a canopy. So Any opinions on good fixtures?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I would do two blue plus one aqublue special and a purple plus or fiji purple. The blue plus bulbs are one of the highest par T5 bulbs out there, and I think that you would find the look of two aqublue specials very harsh. JMO.

Front:
Blue Plus
Fiji Purple or Purple plus
Aquablue special
Blue Plus

1 - 7 of 7 Posts