Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everybody,

I am new to the site. I have to say this a great tool for people to utilize. I am setting up a 90 gallon tank. I was thinking about running the sump and equipment from a room in my basement. I currently have a crowded 40 gallon which means i have to buy all new equipment anyway. Any thoughts on how to set this up the right way? I hate to learn from my own mistakes on this one.

Thanks,

Bryan

·
Registered
164 Posts
I just finished my 90 gal setup and Choice helped my a ton. They are having a get together tonight after 8 many experienced reefers will be there and I'm sure would help. I'd be happy to help but I'm sure there are many more experienced.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
From my experience i would say do your homework for sure. Have a pretty good idea of what you want to do and expand from there. If you're just expanding your existing setup then it'll just be a matter of aquiring some additional supplies, i.e. LR, sand, lights, etc. You'll find that people on this site are very helpful, especially if you have a good idea what you want your setup to consist of. I guess my questions for you would be how many fish is your tank currently stocked with, are you planning on doing a reef setup or a FOWLR tank, and how much are you willing to invest? All of these things will help you to determine which pieces of equipment will be best for your setup. And trust me, people here are very knowledgeable on what does and doesn't work well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick response. I have about 7 fish( one yellow tank, one hippo tang, one bangai cardinal, one fire goby, one cleaner wrass, a few damsels,one clown. also some coral( zoos, leather coral mushroom, plate anemome etc) all the usual suspests for the clean up crew. I will want to get larger fish also. with much more coral. I dont mind spending the money, I have this tank up and running for about 8 months and ran out of room. My inexperiance in this hobby doesnt help me set this new system up. I realize i am looking at some pretty pennies to do this. Just pricing out the substrate empties the wallet. Is there an inexpensive way to live sand etc?

Thanks everyone,

Bryan

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would watch the selling forums for supplies, actually I am watching them for my new tank. There are some good deals to be had. Good luck

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
If I understand your question correctly, you will have your tank on the main floor and sump/fuge will be in the basement, correct? That is how my setup is and others here as well. The best thing I ever did. I should have a thread in the member section forum. I semi automated the water change, wow did that ever help, it so easy to do a water change and that in my opinion can really help the tank. Feel free to ask specific questions and good luck to you!

Dan

·
Registered
164 Posts
Sorry. Look at the list of sponsors Choice aquariums in farminton hills. Your doing right by posting though. Certain fish are not reef safe so if your plans may include corals later, some fish eat corals and it's good to know now before you add them, then after. There are many good shops and some bad ones too. A good one will tell you if the fish you want will fit in with your others. Look to the forums for help and ideas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts