Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
"SAVE A REEF, GROW YOUR OWN!"

Its a well written article with some great points, very byast, but mostly true unfortunately. Just another reason to show how important it is to research the animals we buy (so they live long, healthy lives). Also reitterates the fact that we should all take advantage of CB specimens of corals and fish.... If we love our aquarium inhabitants this much, we must show respect and help protect their wild counterparts (their families).

·
Registered
4,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
stunreefer said:
"SAVE A REEF, GROW YOUR OWN!"

Its a well written article with some great points, very byast, but mostly true unfortunately. Just another reason to show how important it is to research the animals we buy (so they live long, healthy lives). Also reitterates the fact that we should all take advantage of CB specimens of corals and fish.... If we love our aquarium inhabitants this much, we must show respect and help protect their wild counterparts (their families).
Hey! "Save a Reef, Frag Your Own!" was my quote-devil Seriously, you are correct with the points you made.

·
Registered
185 Posts
"The same yellow tang will die in a tank at 2 years max-if the tank is perfectly maintained, and if the tang or other fish came from Hawaii"

Where does this guy get his stats from?

·
Registered
4,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
blon1360 said:
"The same yellow tang will die in a tank at 2 years max-if the tank is perfectly maintained, and if the tang or other fish came from Hawaii"

Where does this guy get his stats from?
Read the rest of the article, not just the line about the tang.

·
Registered
15,111 Posts
I agree theres lots of problems, and support captive breeding, but it's hard to believe much this guy says when he mixes so many bold faced lies in with his facts.
If he really wants to help his cause he needs to educate himself and be honest.

·
Registered
450 Posts
DlBerlin said:
I agree theres lots of problems, and support captive breeding, but it's hard to believe much this guy says when he mixes so many bold faced lies in with his facts.
This sums up my thoughts quite well.

Strangely enough, the last time I was SCUBA diving on the leeward reefs of Hawaii, yellow tangs still schooled by the hundreds and flame angels were still abundant. Must have been one of those nitrogen-narcosis mirages. ;)

Collection of Hawaiian fish has slowed to a trickle of late, that's certainly true...but it's true because much of Hawaii was designated a marine sanctuary - the largest in the world.

It's absolutely true that yellow tangs and flame angels are rarely collected from Hawaii now, but not because they're hard to find.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
DlBerlin said:
I agree. . it's guys like him that get the press and skew numbers to fit his argument...

that said.. let's propogate and breed marine life in our tanks so we do not put undue stress on the natural reefs of the world to fulfill our hobby needs..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts