Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

New to the reefing hobby and aside from some phosphate and cyano issues that i'm sorting out, everything has been going rather well. Fish are active and appear to be happy and healthy, Corals are growing and it's joyful watching nature take place. Unfortunately, one simple, looked over precaution has ended with the death of a fish. My male True Percula Clownfish (Marshall) was victim of an open pump intake. I came home from work and found him stuck in there dead. After removing him, I took action and put a cover over the intake so it shouldn't happen again. :sad:

My only problem now is how do I introduce a new male to my female True Percula (Lily)? I've done all sorts of googling and the obvious answer is that the new mate should be significantly smaller than the female. Another suggestion was to introduce it via breeder net and observe how the female acts towards the new mate (aggressive or not).

While it's all good advice, there's just one thing google couldn't answer. My clowns are pretty young. Lily is only an inch long and I don't think I could get my hands on any new clowns that are significantly smaller. Should I wait till Lily grows up some more before introducing? What would you guys do? Thanks again

·
Registered
241 Posts
At that size how are you sure she is a female?

Clownfish can change sex they are all born male, the dominant fish becomes the much larger female. If they are young it should be fairly easy to pair them up. I doubt a 1" percula will be very agressive

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess you're right and I can't be sure they're a pair. I have done some homework and knew about them all being born male. They were sold as a pair and Marshall was smaller than Lily. It wasn't a very big difference, but you could see it so I just assumed that was their sex.

So hopefully "Lily" is young enough still?

·
Registered
241 Posts
It is a bit of a gamble. Worst case you end up with two females some how and have to trade for a male later. I am not 100% sure one way or the other if they can change back to male.

I picked my clowns from a tank with several dozen all similar size and they have not left each others side since they where released into the tank.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Its hard to tell if they are young if one has grown into a female. They cannot go back to male if already changed. When selecting a new one from the store try to find a smaller one (same size if smaller isn't possible) that is least aggressive. If you find one that is ”twitching” that is good and means it is prob a male (they do that as a submissive sign to the female). Usually if a fish store has a bunch most will be male and the couple aggressive ones will be female.

If you are lucky and lilly is still a male, it will be normal for the two males to be aggressive until one establishes dominance and becomes female. Nipping and chasing is fine during this phase- if it looks more like attempting to kill switch one. Make sure the new one is same species (sometimes LFS will mix up true and false percs, although some say its ok I wouldn't)

Just find a smaller peaceful one and you should be fine. Is the new one going to be named ted or barney?

·
Registered
117 Posts
BTW easy way to cut phosphates is to only feed 1x per day. I didn't think it would make that big of a difference when I started out but you will be surprised if you don't already.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Brianpan is right on the money. If you aren't planning on becoming a breeder, it won't matter if the new one is a perc or occy, they will pair up with one another without issues. If you were to go with a different species, like perc and skunk, or maroon, then you'd run into issues. Percs and occys intermix.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BTW easy way to cut phosphates is to only feed 1x per day. I didn't think it would make that big of a difference when I started out but you will be surprised if you don't already.
I feed once every other day! and even then I don't feed them alot and only give them little bit at a time to minimize left overs in the tank.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
I would just get a significantly larger one and add it to the tank... This should right the possible issue with aggression
I would not so this. The problem is, yours may have become female, there's no way to know for sure. If you get a much larger one, there's a much higher possibility it is female. Two females will not tolerate each other, and once they become female they cannot become male. The bigger one will kill the smaller one if it has become female.

Your best bet is to go to a lfs with a group of clowns and pic one of the smaller ones in the group. When in a group, most will remain male and one will become female and grow much larger. You then have a much greater chance of getting a male in the event yours has become female.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I would not so this. The problem is, yours may have become female, there's no way to know for sure. If you get a much larger one, there's a much higher possibility it is female. Two females will not tolerate each other, and once they become female they cannot become male. The bigger one will kill the smaller one if it has become female.

Your best bet is to go to a lfs with a group of clowns and pic one of the smaller ones in the group. When in a group, most will remain male and one will become female and grow much larger. You then have a much greater chance of getting a male in the event yours has become female.
I agree for most adult clownfish....but at an inch in size, it is highly unlikely that it is over a year old and sexually mature. Usually they are at least 1 1/2 inches long at between 1 and 2 years old and matured into a sex .. from my experience

1 - 13 of 13 Posts