Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im just wondering.. is it necassary for me to do water changes when i have about a 1gal evaporation per week!

every sunday I mix 1 gal of ro/di water and salt to top of my tank..

im thinking that at a gal/week i shouldnt need to worry about a water change monthly?

what ya'll think?

tank is 29gal (starter reef) 2x65 w/lunar's
~ yellow pgmy
~ tomato clown
~ small clean up crew (working on increasing this soon)
~ xenia
~ zooanthids

· Registered
3,245 Posts
The water that evaporates from your tank is just water, not salt water. The salt stays dissolved in water in the tank (some will of couse "creep" on the sides of the tank). When your water level is low the water in your tank has higher salinity than when it is full. So if you are topping off with salt water, you, in essence, are adding more salt to the already too salty water. Check your salinty, it should be much too high, or at least it will after a few weeks of your current top off method. You should just top off with plain old ro/di water and your salinity should remain constant (un less you have excessive salt creep).

· Registered
7,188 Posts
your depleting the minerals in hte salt and the evasporation is not taking out the waste product that are concentrating in the water as it evaporates.

water changes are a necessary part of husbandry if you intend to have a healthy reeftank.

· Registered
23 Posts
how long has this tank been running. You could be causing some serious problems. You need to top off with ro/di water not mixed with salt. The salt stays in the water when water evaporates so by adding more salt, you continue to increase the salinity. You also need to do water changes with ro/di water mixed to the proper salinity and brought up to temperature. I would probably do 2-3 gallons weekly. The water changes will take out excess nutrients from uneaten food and waste from your tanks occupants. These are pollutants to the fish and food for algae and they do not evaporate out when water evaporates.

· Registered
2,303 Posts
Do Your fresh/RO DI water top offs - Dont add salt
Still do your regular water changes with the salt.

Your salt level will get high if you dont top off with fresh/RO DI.

Kaye

· Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow.. :D

well i havent been using this method just was a thought..
I normaly do a water change every other week 2 1/2 gal. water change.. since i have a 29gal tank! so its like 5gal/month change!

the thing is I always check my salnity before i top off and it honestly doesn not rise that much due to the evaporation I mean Right now its about 1/2" down and the salinity is right were it has been since the last water change..

I do top off with Ro (no salt water) normaly..

this was just a thought..
glad i asked though.. I was thinking min.s after i wrote this. that what you all said would be the case..

but thanks for the info!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.