Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, that's a grammatical gem there!

My question is: does it make any sense to do a closed loop system with an electric hot water heater system? I've been reading and it seems that most systems use a gas HWH. I assume it has to do with the efficiency and cost of electric vs. gas?

Could anybody shed some light on this for me?

Dr. Tone - I'm digging your setup bro.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I have read you will never get the cost savings because you are still heating with electricity and running a pump to boot. However if you are running a large system and avoided buying 500 watts plus of heating off the bat anyway it would lessen the sticker. I think it is a great way to heat a large system safely and I will be doing so in a several hundred gallon multitank system. I do have the advantage of natural gas also though :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
I would do it if your system is over 100 gallons. My HWT is natural gas and I'm not seeing any increase in the gas bill, I know theres some but I cant find it. Your heating the water anyway so why not take advantage of of it right? My recirculating pump is only 35watts and it runs about 10 minutes everytime it turns on. I had 1500watts of heaters running 24/7 in the winter and couldnt get the tank over 75degrees or so. I was replacing heaters because they would throw stray voltage after about a year. It was by far one of the best upgrades I've done to my tank. I was going to measure the water temp going back into the HWT to try to get some readings on how much its dropping the core temp of the HWT but like I said, I havent seen any increase in the bill so I never got around to it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would do it if your system is over 100 gallons. My HWT is natural gas and I'm not seeing any increase in the gas bill, I know theres some but I cant find it. Your heating the water anyway so why not take advantage of of it right? My recirculating pump is only 35watts and it runs about 10 minutes everytime it turns on. I had 1500watts of heaters running 24/7 in the winter and couldnt get the tank over 75degrees or so. I was replacing heaters because they would throw stray voltage after about a year. It was by far one of the best upgrades I've done to my tank. I was going to measure the water temp going back into the HWT to try to get some readings on how much its dropping the core temp of the HWT but like I said, I havent seen any increase in the bill so I never got around to it.
Yea - that's my thought. My current system is about 230 and I'm about to start another upgrade that will add about another hundred. My goal is cost - I've found some luck with the titanium heaters, but the same issue arises - after about a year (other than one that I've had for about 10) the newer heaters just take a crap on ya.

Anybody have a closed loop system from their electric HWT?

Also, does the system ever need to be drained? If I just put the 'exit' from the heating coil right into the cold water line, does that solve my problem? Doesn't need to be drained?

·
Registered
201 Posts
If you have an electric water heater there there is not cost savings by going with a closed loop. The cost savings is based on how much more BTU per $ in natural gas then electric.

I love my gas closed loop system. I have a total of 300 gal with 100 of it in the basement so I was paying over $120 per month for heat. It runs using pex and a brass pump controlled by my Apex with 2 temp sensors. I have an external temp controller I am going to put in line as further backup. My electric heaters are still in the tank as backup but set at 75.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Like Mike said, there won't be any difference between the two heating elements.

There isn't a need to drain it, it's constantly being replaced with fresh water anyway. Assuming someone in the house showers. :)

Use a good pump.

Use pex.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I still don't get why people heat there tanks. I have been in this for 6 years and have always had great growth and have never used a heater. The pump and lights keep it hot enough.

A basement sump might require heaters but that is the only reason I would heat a tank.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
A basement sump might require heaters but that is the only reason I would heat a tank.
ding, ding, ding...

my basement sump is the greatest thing since the invention of the bread slicer. @ 6'4", 200 pounds, I hate crawling around under the tank. My Tee's don't stay tucked. It's embarrassing.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea, I love the basement sump too - My entire system is in the basement, which is wonderful for the summertime. I've never needed a chiller.

But the wintertime can be brutal b/c of the proximity to the concrete walls in my tank room.

I think I'll hold off til I need to replace the HWH and go with gas at that point. There's already a gas line dead headed there, so it won't be too big of a deal.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My apartment stay just under 70 in the winter and I do not seem not have much trouble keeping my 180 warm with just a 200w heater.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My apartment stay just under 70 in the winter and I do not seem not have much trouble keeping my 180 warm with just a 200w heater.
Tank is in the basement - I'm looking to save some cash on the electric bill/replacement heaters.

I have two titanium 200w running, the newer one carries most of the load but they burn up every couple of years. Also my electric bill gives me hypertension.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
...I think I'll hold off til I need to replace the HWH and go with gas at that point. There's already a gas line dead headed there, so it won't be too big of a deal.
I'd bet the cost difference between the lower electric and higher gas bills makes switching a reasonable thing to do whether you need to or not, especially not needing to plumb a gas line.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts