Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once I break or cut a frag from the mother ship, am I supposed to treat the break with something so the coral doesn't become infected or weakened? Don't want to wait for my luck to run out if I can do something first.

When I do the fragging, should I do one, then wait for the break to heal before I do another or can I remove say 5 pieces from one coral without hurting it too badly?

Thanks,
Tom

G

·
well I have helped frag a bunch of sps and once you cust all you do is glue to a plug or rock simple as that the coral will heal over

I have heard that trying to put a coating of some sort over the cut can actualy hinder the coral from growing

as for taking multipul frags from a single coral yes you can do this and the coral will get ticked off at ya while it is beeing cut but it will survive it just depends on how small you want to make the coral

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
super glue gel will actually seal the cut end of the sps tissue and help keep any infection out. super glue is the same stuff as derma bond, which is what the ER uses to mend cuts in kids. Just snip off a piece of coral and stick it onto a blob of super glue gel on whatever you want to glue it to..hold for 30 seconds or so and then put it back in the tank. I've done it countless times and never a problem. good luck.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
This might be Off Topic...

Ever use superglue instead of stitches? I hurts like all get out, but have you ever had stitches? Thats worse...

Superglue is a wonderproduct, and works great for fragging...

Disclaimer:

I do not suggest superglue as an alternative to seeking medical attention to any injury. It is advised that you seek professional help immediately in case of an emergency.

That being said... if you ever decide not to listen to what I just said, make sure to thoroughly clean your would before using superglue to close it... you can get a nasty infection if something is in it!

-BDR

G

·
I have used sg before only thing I don't like about it is if the cut is in an area that flexes a lot it only lasts a day maby 2 before you have to redo it due to its nature not to flex I think the durabond they use medically is actually different from sg in the fact that it flexes but it is great for sealing cuts up I use it all the time for minor cuts

and yes it dose sting when you apply it but it is actually less of a sting IMO than hydrogen peroxide

oh yea don't forget other than fragging you can use it for minor repairs on equipment

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
You definently can seal the ends, but I never have before. If your doing multiple frags off same mother, I like to spread it around a little, rather than frag five babies right in a row off of the side of the arco or something like that.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
All of this talk about needing to "seal off" the ends of a recently fragged coral is crazy. There's absolutely no need to worry about the mother colony once its been fragged. It will heal completely with in a matter of days on its own.
Remember, fragging is a form of asexual reproduction. Acro's have evolved for millions of years with the ability to be broken by waves, fish, whatever and be able to heal and regrow. It is completely 100% natural for us to break a peice off of a coral and plant it somewhere else. The coral can take care of itself and will not develop problems from fragging as long as it was healthy and not in a stressful environment.
Its very easy. Just break a peice off, glue the new peice down to a frag plug and you're done! Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts