Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help needed!!! I have bought the 3 stage #1, #2, #3 Novus product and can not get it to remove the scratches in my 150g acrylic. I watched a youtube video ( a guy recording from his IPHONE he sanded then used PlastX) tried that and still didn't get the straches out. It did word WAY BETTER than the Novus though. I would call the scratches deep at all, medium at most. I am about to pull my hair out. HELP NEEDED PLZ!!! My wife is going bonkers and giving me hell spending money on this tank and can't even use it. I know you have been down the road and can imagine the pain I feel (more from the empty tank) people and LFS are saying its not that hard to do. the Novus video makes it look ABC. What am I doing wrong???

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Take a deep breath.. take er easy man. Find a auto body supplier or auto body shop in your area with 1200 - 5000+ grit WET sandpaper, a decent auto body place might give you some free stuff or cheap sheets if you tell them what you are doing. Find a practice sheet of acrylic to work on first. With some serious elbow grease it is not that hard to refinish an empty tank.

1. full 100% cleaning with acrylic safe scrapers and scrubby pads (any grit/sand that gets on the pad will scratch).
2. Clean rinse with lots of water.
3. Clean rinse with white vinegar.
4. Air/whipe dry with cotton towel.
5. ID scratches you can feel with your finger nail.
6. Might need to polish out big scratches with 600 grit first.
7. Start with wet 1200 grit with a soft block and polish up and down, wash the paper frequently. Unfortunetly it is easiest to just do a full side rather than a small area, should take a good hour if you pace yourself.
8. Check to see if there are still major scratchs evident, it should look nasty cloudy, but there should not be any finger nail sticking scratchs before you move on from here.
9. Rinse it out, then work up to 2000-2500 grit wet sandpaper side to side careful not to cluster areas of more/less work and might want to tape up the side panels to avoid damage to them as well... keep in mind you always want to use a soft block for sanding acrylic and always pay attention to listen for any grinding noises... if you pick up a stray chunk of crushed coral it will murder your efforts. then take a break.
10. Rinse it out and poceed to 3000-3500, then 3500-4500, and finish with 5000 or higher. Switch dirrection each new grit and keep rinsing with lots of water.
11. now work your want threw your novus polish 3, 2, 1.
12. 5 hours of good hard work, and $24k in carpot tunnel surgery and you should have a better than new sparkling clear finish.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
have you done this before? how much would you charge me to get the job done. I have been working on it a week. and feel like im in square one.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am going to try the palm sander. I find that if you do it by hand that you dont get even presure. What can anyone say about using the palm. good? bad? I am also using the plastX for buff and polish the tank with. and they do sell buffing wheels as the autoparts store. I would get one for sure, there is no way that you can do the job of a drill.

·
Registered
87 Posts
J82, I have been trying all different ways and polishes today. Here is what I found.

For the best results that I am extreamly happy with finally I used a palm sander and started with 1000 grit. I probably could have used 800 but oh well. With each grit I used a new 100% cotton rag. I would spray the surface with a spray water bottle and I would also spray the sand paper. You always want to keep the surface wet. It will splatter everywhere. After you get done sanding with your first grit spray the surface down really well and wipe clean, there will be a grey fog left behind, dont worry about that. Now set that rag aside you can use it later when you do a different surface of that same grit. Move on to the next grit (1500) and do the same thing. Then use the 2000 grit, then for the final grit I used 3000. I did not use 2500 just because I didnt want to run out to get more sand paper.
After I got done with all the grits I then used a polishing wheel in my drill and polished the surface with 3M rubbing compound. I then went over the surface with a new rag and buffed off any extra compound that might have been left behind. (let it dry before you use the rag and it comes off easy). Then the next and final step I changed my polishing wheel to a polishing ball made by MOTHERS. I then used 3M finesse-it 2 (its finishing Material). Just follow the directions on the back of the bottle and polish with the ball. After it dries wipe it off with a new clean rag.

Never use a rag on different grits or different compounds.
Hope this helps. But all I did was play around with a bunch of different ways and found what I thought looked the best. Good luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I actually figured it out. Depending how deep scratches are. 1000 then 1500 then 2000 grit wet. wipe down in between each sanding. sand side to side circles. I used a spray bottle to spay tank and sometimes paper. once yur done sanding you will have a milky residue, spray to kae sure u got the scratch(s) u was after buy spraying down with water bottle. once done Novus #3 side to side till dry, then apply Novus #2 with rag AND BUFF out on slow setting. Apply a little more # 2 because it will be dry then wipe off in circular motion= ALMOST BRAND NEW.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Almost identical to went you said Synd09: thanks for the advice. good look anyone working on this kind of job. Key is patience, do not rush through it , good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.