Michigan Reefers banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 57 gallon rimless tank but I can not have the LED lights hanging from the ceiling or with a wall mount (office environment). Right now I have a glass piece that fits over the tank where the light sits on it but its just long enough to fit. There is no ledge and being glass scares me, feel like an accident waiting to happen!. Thinking of replacing glass with thick enough, longer size acrylic and glue an edge to each side. Does anyone here has a 1/4 or 1/2 inch acrylic piece? 36x13?
or if anybody knows where can I get one locally? (Metro Detroit)
Thanks

·
Registered
344 Posts
Home Depot carries acrylic in a couple of thicknesses. Could you glue a couple of stops on the inside edges of your glass (inside the tank) to stop it sliding around?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not comfortable with the glass that's why I prefer acrylic., good idea though.
Thanks

---------- Post added 01-19-2014 at 11:06 PM ----------

And Home Depot acrylic is not thick enough to support the lights weight, it bows, It seems that I might be needing something thicker then 1/4 inch.

·
Registered
344 Posts
When we test car headlights we find that plastics transmit less light than glass. Is there any way you can keep a thinner cover on there and add a support rail or something similar for the light so the weight isn't being borne by the cover?

Either way, good luck and free bump!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking on cutting an opening just big enough for the LED part of the light to fit there and the frame to rest on the acrylic. I have mounting brackets for the light but I like the clean look of the rimless. If I can somehow fabricate a box that covers most of the tank (and here is another question, should I try to cover the whole thing? making it 18 instead of 13?) with an opening for the light I think it would not look that bad!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Go talk with Laird plastics like rich said. They can set you up pretty expensively for what you're looking to do. You'll have clean measured cuts and can get whatever thickness you need. I've used them to make platforms for my skimmer in the refugium and an in the tank refugium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Go talk with Laird plastics like rich said. They can set you up pretty expensively for what you're looking to do. You'll have clean measured cuts and can get whatever thickness you need. I've used them to make platforms for my skimmer in the refugium and an in the tank refugium.

I am sorry, you meant to say "expensively"?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Oops....dumb auto correct. Laird could take a piece of scrap 1/4 inch acrylic and cut it at let's say 4 inch width and let's say 2-3/4 inch longer than the width of your tank. Then have them cut 2 1 inch pieces off of that. Then bond those 2pieces on the bottom of the longer sheet to make what looks like a platform. Do this for each side of your tank and now you have something to lay your light fixture over your tank. I'm guessing it could only cost $10 for materials.

·
Registered
770 Posts
the one down fall to lairds is they will charge you a pretty penny to do all that cutting.

If you can get a piece of acrylic you can cut it with a circular saw and get some weldon #4 and do the work your self

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got someone selling a few pieces (20x72) thinking of getting one and trying cutting it myself, should I cover the whole tank? Is it better to minimize evaporation?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'd recommend that you use at least 1/4 acrylic thickness to make sure it doesn't bow from heat of the water or fixture. I would just cut a strip for each end of your light fixture. You can put a small tab/wing on the bottom of each end since the tank is rimless to make sure it doesn't move and your light falls into the water.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Covering the whole top will reduce evaporation but also reduce gas exchange (not an issue if you are running a skimmer) and the acrylic will collect condensation on the underside.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just another note....if your cutting yourself, I'd think of using a table saw to get straight cuts. Also, you'll need a blade with a higher tooth count so you don't fray the acrylic and have rough edges. Final note..we spend how much on our tanks. Wouldn't it be easier to spend $20 to get it done right than trying to get it done right?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the one I am looking it's 3/8 of an inch, a little more the 1/4 so I should be alright.
I haven't called Lairds yet but I do not think a $20 will be enough, so far my experience in this hobby led me to believe that there is no inexpensive way to do anything :) (do not flame, knew very well what I was getting into):jester:

So I am thinking on making a box and covering the whole thing with an opening in the middle big enough for the light, at least the LED part. That way I am addressing the safety concerns, minimize evaporation (I have a skimmer) and maintain the clean look of the rimless!

Am I missing anything? is it a good Idea? How about if i build up the area where the light will sit so its elevated? what do you recommend the distance from the light to water surface to be? My tank is 21 inches tall and planning on having some LPS corals.

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 57 gallon rimless tank but I can not have the LED lights hanging from the ceiling or with a wall mount (office environment). Right now I have a glass piece that fits over the tank where the light sits on it but its just long enough to fit. There is no ledge and being glass scares me, feel like an accident waiting to happen!. Thinking of replacing glass with thick enough, longer size acrylic and glue an edge to each side. Does anyone here has a 1/4 or 1/2 inch acrylic piece? 36x13? or if anybody knows where can I get one locally? (Metro Detroit) Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts