Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I've had my tank up and running near two months now. It has been through a cycle and currently plays home to a couple fish, snails, and hitchikers. I recently purchased a new light, a par38 LED from aquamedic, and love it! The change in lighting brings a change from FOWLR to reef! I've been anxious and excited for this!

I purchased a small piece of rock with 15-20 pp of a zoo variety I have yet to ID. Just making sure I have the right idea... that i want to wedge this piece of rock in medium-bright lighting against a piece of rock? and it should spread itself to the rest of my LR? If so, once it spreads to a new piece of rock, should I be able to gently move the piece of frag to start another colony?

slowly adding water from my tank to the bag to acclimate

is this the dreaded aiptasia?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
aiptasia x, kalk paste, injection of lemon juice, injected boiling water?

I've heard the best reviews on the first two. never had to deal with it before on any of my rock.

·
Registered
144 Posts
For a small problem I have used aiptasia x with good results. With just the one it's a fast fix never done the lemon juice. Had a out break in my frag tank got a copper
Banded butterfly and he had them all ate in 48 hours.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my tank's only a 10g nano. Not really trying to boost the bioload that much. i've heard peppermints will go to work on aiptasia? are they safe to other softies and nems, though?

·
Registered
114 Posts
What I would do is go down to MVPets on Westnedge and pick up one or two peppermint shrimp! I had 5-6 aptasia in my tank, and within two days of adding 2 pepps, they were all gone! Haven't seen one since. Good luck!

Nice zoas by the way, looks like they could possibly be Green Bay Packers.

You were typing when I added mine! I haven't noticed any issues with the ones I added about 6 months ago. I have read of rare circumstances when they can't find other food that they may indeed nip on softie! HTH

·
Registered
532 Posts
Peppermints are usually safe for other corals and nems, but every once and a while one will go after other things. It is rare for this to happen though.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
looks like i'll be going down to MVP or mothers reef tonight/tomorrow to grab a peppermint!

as for the zoa placement? do i have the right idea in wedging the rock and all against my other LR? would i later be able to move the frag rock to let another colony form elsewhere?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Yeah, just wedge the rock in someplace. Once the coral settles into its new environment it will start to spread to the rock around it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts