Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone who keeps a SPS dominant tank, im curious to what kind of additives you add to your tank on a regular basis, or other things youve had success with in the past.

strontium, magnessium, etc...

· Registered
332 Posts
I use Kent Marine Coralvite, Coral accel, Essential Elements, strontium and molybdenum, Tech-I (Iodine), Tech-M (magnesium), Iron, then I use a powdered calcium hydroxide for calcium (forgot the brand).

I really don't measure the amounts, even though I probably should, I just eyeball it. I only add the iron once in a while though. My sps seem to be doing pretty well, esp. my montipora. They would be doing better If i had more light (right now have 440 watts vho over a 90) and if my eibli angel wouldn't pick on them...

· Registered
1,949 Posts
Kalkwasser and water changes. Once in a while if Alk. starts to get low I use Seachems Reefbuilder to raise Alk, and if calcium is a little low I dose Seachems Reef Advantage. Water changes are 30g every two weeks on a 180g tank with about 35g in sump/fuge.

· Registered
1,711 Posts
Sean,

I use in addition to my reactor.

kalkwasser everyday as top-off water, 2 capfuls of kent A and B, and about 1/2 cap of strontium.(everyday)

I also feed them three types of food weekly,cyclops, esv phyto, and kent zooplex.

My tip to you, Run carbon 24/7, and a poly filter also.

· Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for your input, i see most of you are using cal reactors i have really been looking into one, but... to get a new setup its a little out of my price range at the moment, even though in the long run it will be well worth, because i have heard the media actually adds strontium into your tank too. Im keeping my eyes open until i find something in the 200-300 dollar price range for the whole kit and kaboodle though. Hopefully ill find something sooner or later.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.