Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ADHI Sump issue

Picked up an ADHI refugium recently, have a question for anybody who might know this answer. The fuge has 3 sections, the first where the water comes in and the skimmer sets, etc, the middle fuge part, then the last section where to pump is at. The refuguim walls do not go all the way to the bottom of the fuge, so basically the first section and 3rd section flow into each other under the fuge. Which of course means the water levels stay the same level, which of course the skimmer section and the fuge should be higher than the last section. Anyone seen anything like this? Is there a reason its like this that I am missing?

·
Administrator
2,511 Posts
I have

I have the same one and also used it as an example to make another sump. Basically the design is correct and according to a local well known tank builder it is all you need. People make sumps with bubble traps but if you ask any expert they will tell you they are not necessary and actually work as a trap for waste. The middle chamber is the fuge and where you put sand and rock macro. I put a powerhead in it to get a small current. The idea of a fuge is low flow at thebottom. Therefore the top has fast movement while the bottom is low flow allowing the life to proliferate. The only complaint is the sponge in the last chamber. It is counter productive. The purpose of a fuge is the allow some of the benifical creatures back in the main tank like copods and it is a nitrate factory. I solved the problem by putting a peice of eggcrate vertical from the water line to the eggcrate that holds the sponge. This breaks the water flow and allows the benifical stuff in.

Oh and the question about flow. The drain comes into the skimmer chamber and is always flowing toward where the pump is. Nothing flows into each other.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, however I still am confused? The water level on the entire sump is then 12" straight across, so really the water never flows over the refugium down onto the sponge. So on your ADHI, you also have about a half inch gap under your fuge for water to run under? So the only real current in your fuge is the powerhead?

·
Administrator
2,511 Posts
Yes

Correct. Believe me the water does circulate. But it is designed not to stir your sand and support the life encapsulated within. I put the powerhead in to create a undercurrent for the cheato. Since I started Biopellets the macro algae is almost dead so I will remove the powerhead soon.

Actually Reef Solutions had the same basic design they built up their live rock to break the surface which wll create the necessary currents if you are not running macro.

·
Administrator
2,511 Posts
Answers

I have sump 45 on a 180 gallon. It is drilled on the pump side and I am running an external iwaki md40. Its rated at 1350 gallons and It is taking it all as there is only a few feet of head pressure. It is actually too much flow. I recently added a biopellet reactor and put it inline see the dyi forum so it has slowed the flow. Remember you want the water to pass gracefully through the sump and fuge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.