Michigan Reefers banner
1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  jduck 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I have been a long time member on here and you guys and gals were very helpful setting up my first tank, a BioCube 14g.

I have now upgraded to a NanoCube 24g. It has new Arag-alive sand and some new cured live rock in it currently.

What I would like advice on is this: What is the best way to move my live sand from my 4 year old BioCube into the new NanoCube without shutting the BioCube down? I still have live rock and corals in the BioCube that I am planning on selling/trading/fragging to put in the new NanoCube.

I don't want to cause an amonia spike in both tanks at the same time.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks a lot!

Chris

#2 ·
It would be better to just buy new sand and use your rock. There will be a lot of ammonia pockets in your sand and stirring it up will probably cause a cycle. You can rinse it really well but even then, you might get a spike. Since your tanks are small, it's not going to cost much for one bag of sand

#3 ·
I have heard about people scooping up some of the sand to "seed" the new tank sand ... is this something I should do or avoid? In the end I am going to shut down the old tank. I just need it now until I get rid of my old coral .... plus I could use a little more sand in my new tank ...

#5 ·
Transferring it is a bad idea. Sand does get old, and again, your tank is small. It's really not worth the risk. You can seed it, just take a small scoop of the old sand and put it in your new tank...with that said however, your live rock will seed it and make it live with time. In a 14 gallon tank, taking a scoop out could release ammonia pockets and there isn't much water volume to dilute it so.

#6 · (Edited)
First, I agree with the above. But, here is another option, if you never stirred your live sand, you can start stirring (Only 15 to 20% every four or five days untill you finish the whole thing). Then, you can take 25% of it and add it to your new tank. Three or four days after, add anothe 25%. With this you should be ok.

Johnny

#8 ·
Alright guys, thanks for your advice. I don't think I will keep the live sand from the old tank. I may grab a little scoop to add some different goodies to the new tank but a) I don't want to risk a big spike in the old tank and kill off the corals still in there and b) as you say, the live rock from the old tank will seed the new sand.

Thanks again!

BTW - I will post this in the identification forum but do you know what kind of algae looks like green bubble algae but is red? (Yes, the obvious answer is "red bubble algae" -- thanks for coming out) ;-) But do you know the best way to get rid of it? I have it in my old tank and am REALLY hesitant to introduce it to the new tank ....

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.