Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I bought a Scat from Reef Solutions - in my now losing battle to aiptasia.

Shanny said that it's been eating aiptasia in their display tank and has done well.

Anybody have success with a scat eating aiptasia? Should I limit feeding or anything to encourage it?

I only have clowns and a scavenging engineer goby in the DT with them.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Scats do generally tear up the aiptasia really well, assuming there's an appropriate amount of food going in to keep the scat from being full of mysis all day, and also to keep the aiptasia from benefiting from the excess food and reproducing faster.

The scat combined with something like Joe's Juice is a great idea so you're coming at the problem from both sides. We used plenty of Joe's Juice, but have also found that Aiptasia X from Red Sea works as well, but without clumping up in the bottle and in the syringe like Joe's Juice often did.

Steve

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree about the AiptasiaX, which is what I've been using to fight for the past while. Got a bit lazy with it, resulting in the massive overtake.

My tank is an in-wall and makes it a challenge to get 'all of them'

I've tried Joes Juice. Tried and lost a copperband. Had a filefish, ended up taking him back because he was healthy, just never hit the aiptasia.

It seems like the kill rate with AiptasiaX is about 40-60% at best.

He's a pretty big specimen, so hopefully he has a big appetite.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I purchased a Scat from Fish Dr about 3 years ago because I had the same issue my tank was overwhelmed with aiptasia and I did not want to use joes juice. I could not of imagine poking ever single aptasia with a needle, just not an option for me at that time. It will take a couple weeks before he starts tearing them up but the Scat did wonders for me, he ate all my aiptasia. My trick however was that I starved my tank for almost a week, yea sounds worst then it is but in order to get him started I did not feed my tank for about 5-7 days before he realized he needed to do his job.

Almost three years later I still have the Scat in my tank but he is a bully, he is about 5" in size and eating just about everything I feed it.

Good Luck... BTW they will eat those nasty red bugs also so I keep him around just in case.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have several Peps - some of them 2-3 years old and huge, they just don't seem to eat them.

It'll be a week on Saturday and he's eaten at least 150 Aiptasia. You might think I'm overestimating, but I had a serious problem. Big Time.

He definitely has an appetite - I am toying the idea of throwing him in the rubbermaid sump in case I have an outbreak again after he's eaten up the rest of the little buggers.

I guess I could always trade him on the forum for some frags too...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.