Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forums...and this website is fantastic!

Im overwhelmed actually at all the information. Fantastic start up guides but I do have some questions after reading some of the starting material.

I had a local and very popular reef aquarium facility set up my tank. They do tanks all over South Florida and are recommended highly by everyone who has ever used them for over a decade.

I have a 48x36x32 210 gallon system.
Refugium, 2 LED 120W hanging lights (55 bulbs @ 2w each)
Magnetic Drive Aquarium pump 1200 gph
2 Powerheads inside the tank at 950 gph
UV sterilizer 40W
Protein skimmer
Outflow box
Top off system etc

The tank was set up with 140lbs of live sand I believe and 100+ pounds of live rock.
It went through an initial ammonia spike but after a week it dropped significantly.

2 arrow crabs and 2 sallie crabs were placed in the tank only for "cycling purposes" only to learn it was completely unnecessary due to the live rock (wish I had found these forums earlier)

Nonetheless..the arrorw crabs and one sallie survived (and are still thriving to this day 9 weeks later)

After 5 weeks, the water parameters were checked. No ammonia, little to no phosphates, no nitrates etc.

So at the 5 week mark, they told me I can slowly add some fish/corals etc.

At the nine week mark, I currently have 2 perculas, 5 anthas, 2 red firefish, 2 purple firefish ( the tiny one disappeared recently), 2 blue chromis, 2 skunk cleaners, 2 blood shrimp, 3 emerald crabs, a bunch of turbo snails, red legged hermits, 2 pieces of myo coral, little zooanthisas, (sp?), a BTA.

Everything seems to be thriving. I refuse to put another living thing in the tank for at least 5 more weeks to allow what Im sure is a biolad trying to catch up.

I am suffering with some green algae, red algae in parts and the UGGLIES!

I know my tank is new. I believe my problem is water changes. I have only had ONE big one in 9 weeks. I have one scheduled today as they originally told me once a month maintenance was enough.

I will be doing a water change every 2 weeks. MY schedule just prohibits one a week. Do you think my algae issue is just a new tank still cycling and not enough water changes? That seems to be the concensus from what I have read from you experts.

Any help would be appreciated. At the hospital typing...sorry if I've omitted information.

Really glad to be hear with you all!

Doc

·
Registered
796 Posts
The algae cycle is part of a new tank, it can last around a year. You can keep it under control with water changes and perfect conditions. If you're doing a water change every 2 weeks I'd be doing 25%. It also looks like you need a lot more flow IMO, this should also help. Good idea on waiting for the bioload to catch up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I have alot of flow in the tank actually. I can see the movement on the bottom is pretty vigourous.

I had two other powerheads in the tank a 1650 and a 1250 originally but the flow was really extreme and sand was moving all over the place. Hence I went to the two 900's. I actually at one point had three heads running in the tank and it was extreme. (maybe it was normal and I was just freaking out.)

Should i add these two more heads or go back to tbe original ones and point them in a better direction?

Doc

·
Registered
796 Posts
Maybe try putting them back in towards the bottom/middle and point them towards the surface so you aren't disturbing the sand too much. In my experience, once the finer sand on the top gets moved around and removed the problem stops.

·
Registered
937 Posts
More flow for sure. Don't be hesitant to use all 4 power heads. That is a good size bio load for a new tank but with 200+ gallons you should be safe. Are you running your skimmer 24/7? How much a day are you feeding and what are you feeding?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I certianly could use 4 heads if you al feel i should be or worst case three of them ( the 1650, 1250, and the 900)

I treid pointing them toweards the surface ....it might not have been enough last time.

Skimmer runs 24/7 and it always has a bunch of nasty foam and green liquid in it which I know is a good thing.

I feed the fish ONE of the marine cubes (for fish and reef) a day
I occasionally add a little cyclop stuff for the corals
I give my BTA one krill a day which he seems to like.

Am I good so far?

Doc

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Sounds like a nice setup. +1 to the 25% biweekly water changes and to more flow. With that large of a tank you have many placement options. I would try one on each side and two in the back. Depending on you aquascape. You could stager all 4 along the back one point up, one semi down an so forth. Set them in place and sit back and watch the current. See where the sand flows, food, ect. Look for any dead spots. As mentioned above, it may take some time for the smaller sand particles to settle in an area with not as much flow. Play with different placement and see what and how much works the best.
I would also add a variety of foods to the mix, many fish will eat various foods and the more diverse their diet is and closer to what they would eat in the wild is best for good long standing health. Sounds like you have things going good, be patient with the algae. Some things you could consider would be getting a nice clean up crew if you dont already have one. Some hermit crabs, snails, chittons, maybe a sea hare. They will help with any excess organics as well as eat some types of algae all the while cleaning your tank.
BTW, welcome to MR.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.