Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I have been fighting Algae issues for a few months now on my 120gal tank which I believe was caused my a leak in my return pump on my calcium reactor which was leaching CO2 into my sump plus my drip rate causing an Algae bloom to the point I was so discouraged of my tank and due to time and lazyness I let it ride...

Last night I decided to clean things up.. I had removed my reactor for about a month now so last night I performed these tasks after the wife and daughter went to bed..

• removed several pieces of live rock from the tank and scrubbed them good removing Algae and placing them back into the tank
  • scrubbed,scrapped back,front & side walls
  • 30 gallon water drain from main tank to siphon some of the floating Algae
  • used a fish net to collect any floating particles from scrapping glass
  • cleaned all return lines, pumps & skimmer
  • replaced the 30 gallons I drained with 30 gallon water change (RO/DI)

I now will keep all light including sump light for 2-3 days.
I have to run to the LFS tomorrow and get more carbon so I can run that with weekly changes.

I am also going to perform another 30 gallon water change Friday and going to order a large Algae clean up crew.

Im hoping that with all this work I can get some good results as I have been slacking on my tank but want to get things back to normal...

·
Banned
1,916 Posts
Good luck to you and the tank - sounds like a frustrating task.

Keep us posted after the algae clean up.

Sounds like - you need to get the wet-dry shop vac................

Good night.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Sounds like a good start, just keep up on it till it gets better. Might I suggest some sort of phosphate remover, if ya dont already have one? Dont mean this rude, but kinda sounds like ya might of slacked to the point of alot of work. If ya did (I have no idea) its understandable, happens to the best of us, it happens. Hope ya get this thing under control. Might take a while, but always worth it in the end. Been there with my tank and with a few others, and always takes a while. Good luck!

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have a 29 that was getting over run with algea, it had live rock but nothing else in the tank any more so I turned the lights off. I looked in the tank yesterday and it is clean as can be, it's been running for a few weeks with no lights, I realize this may not be an option, just figured I'd share the experience.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
swampjeep said:
I have a 29 that was getting over run with algea, it had live rock but nothing else in the tank any more so I turned the lights off. I looked in the tank yesterday and it is clean as can be, it's been running for a few weeks with no lights, I realize this may not be an option, just figured I'd share the experience.
Indeed...
Light+Water=algae....... No matter what! The amount of algae growing is what we want/try to control. There is no such thing as an algae free reef tank... it just doesn't happen.
Now take the light out of that equation, and you have a whole nother story!

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SIR PATRICK said:
Sounds like a good start, just keep up on it till it gets better. Might I suggest some sort of phosphate remover, if ya dont already have one? Dont mean this rude, but kinda sounds like ya might of slacked to the point of alot of work. If ya did (I have no idea) its understandable, happens to the best of us, it happens. Hope ya get this thing under control. Might take a while, but always worth it in the end. Been there with my tank and with a few others, and always takes a while. Good luck!
Yes I must admit I slacked for several months now but I am trying to catch up :D

I do plan I running carbon and a poly filter until I can get a phos reactor..

·
Registered
266 Posts
Phosban reactor

Definitely a great investment to get the phosban reactor. Was going through a little bit of an algae problem myself until i purchased a phosban reactor from deb. It'll take a few weeks of running (or more) since all of your liverock will be leaching phosphates until it's all removed by the iron oxide. A little elbow grease though and some persistant water changes and all will be well. Just wanted to chime in and say to get the reactor before purchasing carbon they only cost about 35 + 10 or so for the phosban media. Good luck.

·
Registered
669 Posts
When I was living in Florida I was getting my saltwater from the SW wells at HBOI; sometimes from the spigot at the star facility (USDA ARS) or from the spigots at ORA growout (both from th south side wells), and sometimes from ORA Corals (north side of campus). North side had differant wells than south side. What I found out later was that in addtion to high sulphur (easily removed by aeration) South side had high phosphates. I did 20% weekly water changes (why not the water was free and was litteraly on-tap) well this led up to a HUGE phosphate problem and subsequent algae problem. I had 3 inches of hair algae growing on the walls of my tank! It took 8 Emerald (Mithrax) crabs, one poly filter, a reduced light schedule, a little glass cleaning, and no water changes for two weeks for the problem to be solved. So from one reefer to another...Emerald crabs

Tide

·
Registered
669 Posts
Oh, I run a phosphate reactor now. It doesn't sound like you had or have a phosphate problem, you had a problem with CO2; but you've taken care of it, so good luck cleaning up the aftermath.

G

·
I recently got married & slacked off (not enough time) & my 150 was over grown with HA...I took basiclly the same steps as you reef120...I scraped all walls & actually took a small powerhead & blew off on my rocks & glass, 40% WC once a week, cleaned everything, but didn't add any cleanup crew..& in 2 weeks I was algae free..I think once or twice the way you are going you will be fine...Also, how can you check for a co2 problem?

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Day 6 Update

Well since my original post of January 16th I wanted to post an update to the status of my tank.

I will be performing my 3rd water change tonight when I get home tonight. Lights are still off on day 6 and plan to turn back on tonight for a few hours and back to a reduced schedule tomorrow.

So far things seem to be under control I can still see very small traces of algae but sure to see more once the lights go back on.

As of yesterday installed my phosban reactor and still running carbon along with a poly filter. I have also ordered a very large algae control clean up crew that will arive tomorrow. Things apear to be in control but still hard to tell, corals seem happier even with all the light off my bubble is open and happy, weird.

I will post more detailed update in a few days...

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Glad to hear about a very nice turn around in 6 days! I have seen it battled for months, with very little changes at a time. Sounds like your tank will be back to normal in no time :D .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts