Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spanko thought :rolleyes:
My biocube 29 gallon is now about 9 months old. It is doing great. The requisite fishes and corals all of which are a hodgepodge of different things that I have come to like.
Rockwork is a wall of sorts.
I am tired of it. I am tired of islands of rock. I am tired of valleys of rock. What I do like though is those areas of the reef where the bottom is completely covered with a layer of rock on which is attached monti cap, acro, and varied encrustiing SPS.
So at that point my tank looked like this...

I sold, traded in for store credit, or gave away to friends all the fish, LPS and softies I had. I removed all of the substrate and replace only the rockwork, snails, hermits and my pom-[p\\pom crab as well as any SPS which really wasn't much but a green slimer, superman monti, and monti cap. I then began to purchase those things I found living on the reef flats. So here are the particulars.

29 gallon bio cube
140 watt Sunpod
Heater and Purigen in the first chamber.
Sapphire Aquatics skimmer and Chemi Pure Elite in the second chamber
Rio 6hf and Auto top off floats in the third chamber.
Tank is bare bottom. About 35 lbs. of rock. A small ball of Chaetomorpha.
A Koralia 1 and 2.
Geometric Pygmy Hawkfish
Chrysiptera hemicyanea damsel
Chrysiptera talboti damsel
Green Chromis
Neon Goby
Sixline Wrasse

All fish at this point were bought tiny. The largest is the sixline at 1.25". The only fish that will be permanent residents will be the sixline, the neon goby and the hawkfish. All other will be rotated out when they reach 2.5" in length and replace with other fish, mostly damsels.

Coral are
Porites worm rock
Orange monti cap
Red monti cap
Beige with orange polyped monti cap
Beige with blue berry polyps monti cap
Bright lime green monti cap
Superman monti
Blue tip acro
Tabling acro
A tiny pc of birdnest acro that may or may not make it.
Green slimer

Motile inverts
Various snails
Various hermits
pom-pom crab
Long spined Urchin bought to eat Caulerpa, not doing it, LFS for store credit.
Tuxedo Urchin

Water changes are religiously 10% per week
Dosing is Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium every three days or when testin warrants.
Filtrating is the skimmer, the Purigen, and the Chemipure Elite.
A stock filter frame has been modded to accept phosphate removing filter pads or any other type as needed. This is run three weeks per month changed out every week The fourth week a stock pad is used to get the carbon benefit.
Fish are fed three times per week with the normal hodgepodge of frozen, pelleted, and flake food.
The coral are target fed twice per week with a mixture of coral frenzy, reef plus, and DT's phyto.

Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are undetectable.
Calcium runs from 420 - 450
Alkalinity runs 3 - 3.5
Magnesium runs 1300 - 1400

So three months after ripping the tank that was apart here is a current pic or two. I am done adding things, maybe some more coral if I see something I have to have, and will be letting it grow to become the reef flat I am looking to create.

And this is the look I am hoping to copy.

Thank you for looking. I will update as time goes on and the coral start to grow in.

·
Registered
191 Posts
i forgot the [picture, but is that an urchin in your tank? i heard they eat coral? just wondering....wouldnt wanna watch it start going south from a black spiney.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
kingkill83 said:
i forgot the [picture, but is that an urchin in your tank? i heard they eat coral? just wondering....wouldnt wanna watch it start going south from a black spiney.
long spine urchins should be reef safe. there are a few that are not these will just knock stuff over and they will eat coraline

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The long spine urchin went back to the LFS. I am keeping the Tuxedo. I also picked up a 3" circular pc. of Acropora Millepora, and it has at least one pinkish commensal acro crab in it. Pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
for the most part, I did order a couple from the Propagator on N-R.
Anchor Bay Aquarium in New baltimore has some nice pcs. right now.
Of course Kees
That is about it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
glad to hear the longspine went back, that tank looks awesome with all the corraline...

i didnt know they only ate corraline though, good to know they dont eat the coral itself; bt then the corraline is half the beauty.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
New FTS. Tuxedo urchin went back to the fish store. Have not been able to get the Talbots Damsel so only the other fish in there.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
New pics 16-Feb-08

Just a couple of new shots.

My new Caulerpa eating bunny Bugs the sea hare

Montis are growing a bit.

And a FTS

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
some updates

The current inhabitants are
Talbots Damsel
Blue Green Chromis
Neon Goby
Geometric Pygmy Hawkfish
Pom Pom Crab
Emerald Crab
Lettuce Nudibranch

To deal with the ongoing problem I have I did have with Caulerpa I added a Scopas Tank 2". Went back to the LFS for lack of doing anything. Yellow Tang 2". Went back to the LFS for lack of doing anything. I am now looking for a FoxFace small to try for a while. I had a sea hare also but have not seen him in a while. Not sure where he is of even if he is at this point.
I got rid of the Sapphire Aquatics skimmer and put a ball of Chaeto, bag of Purigen and bag of Chemi Pure Elite in the second chamber. It has an Azoo Palm light over it 6700K. Also a modified tray with some filter pad and carbon pad on it. It is about a 2" square that hangs on the wall between the 1st and 2nd chamber and quiets the waterfall from chamber 1 to no noise at all. I bought an Oceanic skimmer that seems to be working about as well as the Sapphire did. It is in chamber 1. Oh yeah the Stealth heater is in chamber 2 also.
I guess that is all for now. Just letting it grow out. Hope you enjoy the pics. Will update in another month.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yup, running the 14K phoenix right now. Would run a 10K for faster growth but I am afraid that the Caulerpa would just fill the tank at a rate faster than I could pull it out.

Thank you for looking.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, Well Well. If that is who I think it is welcome to the site. Yeah the zoas are from a LFS that has really helped through everything, and are only part of the colony that I bought. They are doing well.
Lance Uppercut??????????

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What are you doing on here anyway, don't you have customers to help, water to change, algae to scrape, frag racks to build, items to tag????

1 - 20 of 59 Posts