Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a rose and a white bubble tip anenome. my water parameters are fine, and the temp is jsut fine for them as well, they have a decent flow of water, no air bubbles touching them either. one moved under a rock after being released into the tank, and the other is semi open, semi spread out, here is a picture for those who are wondering what im saying:

this is the white that has not opened too much, when he was first introduced, he slowly moved upside down, and i flipped the rock, and used a small turkey baster to dose with some dts on them both at the openings:

and here is my rose(at least i believe it is):

got them both for 40 bucks together. today total we bought about 10 more pds of LR, a hawk, a small fairy wrasse, and a sleeper goby....along with about 5 more peppermints, and two cardinals all for a total of 165, ill update on the page with my tank pictures here in a few. so far the cardinals acclimated fine, the hawk tells the damsels whats up when they get snippy, etc etc. the goby has a lil spot he calls home, and when the wrasse went in he hid and i have yet to see him yet.

anyhow, how long does it normally take for an anenome to fully open up in a new tank? when should i be worried on the actions of the anenemes?

G

·
well lets see I got mine about a week ago and it is still cruising around the tank trying to find a good home for itself

as for time frame couldn't realy tell ya but how did you aclimate these nems as right now mine is down under some rock hiding for some reason I am shure it will come out soon

if you have had the nems for more then a couple of days I would recomend hand feeding them with some shrimp or somthing to give them some nutrition good luck with them

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tazzy695 said:
well lets see I got mine about a week ago and it is still cruising around the tank trying to find a good home for itself

as for time frame couldn't realy tell ya but how did you aclimate these nems as right now mine is down under some rock hiding for some reason I am shure it will come out soon

if you have had the nems for more then a couple of days I would recomend hand feeding them with some shrimp or somthing to give them some nutrition good luck with them
i drip acclimated them for two years with their water and dripping mine. then i slowly let them free, without them meeting any air just water. theyve been in the tank now for about two hours or so. i also did a 5 gallon water change prior to getting them, with about 5 gallons of water from the reef system at tropicorium. they charge 60 cents a gallon.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Neither one of them are Rose bubble tips, Rose bubble tips are red or orange......The first one looks kinda bleached a bit, make sure you feed them fine foods like mysis, small cut up raw shrimp etc....They will settle after they find a suitable spot.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
kingkill83 said:
i drip acclimated them for two years with their water and dripping mine. then i slowly let them free, without them meeting any air just water. theyve been in the tank now for about two hours or so. i also did a 5 gallon water change prior to getting them, with about 5 gallons of water from the reef system at tropicorium. they charge 60 cents a gallon.
I certainly hope that you mean two hours, not two years. :) Your anemones probably won't look fully expanded until they get used to your water parameters, probably anywhere from a day or two to a week.

G

·
kingkill83 said:
dang 2 years worth of aclimation that is a long time LOL :eek:rder

so how long were they in the tank as for then getting hit with air it isn't a huge deal to be honest sponges are the ones you have to be carefull with in the air

but how I was told to aclimate mine was to put it in a container aclimate it then sink the container with rock in it for the nem to attach to then take the rock out and place it close to or on your main rock formation in your tank in the same general position and the nem will move to where it will be comfortable

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tazzy695 said:
dang 2 years worth of aclimation that is a long time LOL :eek:rder

so how long were they in the tank as for then getting hit with air it isn't a huge deal to be honest sponges are the ones you have to be carefull with in the air

but how I was told to aclimate mine was to put it in a container aclimate it then sink the container with rock in it for the nem to attach to then take the rock out and place it close to or on your main rock formation in your tank in the same general position and the nem will move to where it will be comfortable
never heard that, i thought they were alot more fragile then that wow.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so thawed frozen brine or DT's isnt good for them then?

Also, i meant 2 hours guys LOL ill drink one to that typo.:eek:rder

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kingkill83 said:
so thawed frozen brine or DT's isnt good for them then?

Also, i meant 2 hours guys LOL ill drink one to that typo.:eek:rder
edit: the white one looks leached? he has a lil more pink on him in person, and the larger one is a lil more spread out, has neon green on him. i think they are def some form of bubble tip. eitherway, i got em both for like 40 bcks and the gy there said if i want a clown to stick with the orange/reddish breeds of clown for a symbiot relationship. id like to see them become healthy for a month atleast, and know their exact type before i search for a clown.

not to mention everyone in the tank is kinna picking and choosing homes and at eachother here and there when somone gets to their temporary chosen spot. both damsels are now swimming with eachother after 3 days, and the introdction of other tankmates ^.^

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
is it possible the first one is a seabae anemone? that was my first impresion. ive had 2 BTAs for about 4 months now, one found a spot in about 6 hrs and never moves and the other is all over the place. i would give it a few days before worrying to much about it.

i feed mine frozen brine (just a little) every day or so and also half siver sides once a week. you dont have to feed them anything, but they will grow a lot faster if you do

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
caughtaniner said:
is it possible the first one is a seabae anemone? that was my first impresion. ive had 2 BTAs for about 4 months now, one found a spot in about 6 hrs and never moves and the other is all over the place. i would give it a few days before worrying to much about it.

i feed mine frozen brine (just a little) every day or so and also half siver sides once a week. you dont have to feed them anything, but they will grow a lot faster if you do
would minnows or some fresh calamari or octopus be safe for them to eat?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
right right, heres the big one, it moved towards the right of the tank:

i also updated the thread in members tanks to show more of my pics updated.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
dentdominator said:
What are you running for lights, to support an anemone???

Have a good night.......
a 50/50 compact light with white in front and blue in the back...same bulb, and at night there is a contant running blue actintic (sp?).

the spagetti worms seems to like it as well ^.^

before i put a ton of coral in there though, i do plan on switching over to a stronger light system, though not all coral etc etc. require high lighting contrary to populair belief. if anyones ever gone scuba diving, notice there are also coral that grow in caves where it is shady most of the time. compact lighting should work nicely long as water quality is there imo.

and the rocks go higher up so if the anenome want more light, they can always travel upwards on some of the rock that reches towards the top areas.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts