Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Members,

Michigan Reefers would like to introduce a new feature called Social Groups, what this feature does is allows you to create your own reef related group/s and allows you to manage your own group/s. I know I know your asking what is the difference between a group and a forum right? Well the major difference is that a forum is a per-defined topic related area designed for everyone to post in and search. Now with a group this is group that you start and can choose to open it to everyone to join or a private group that you only invite other too. You must remember that these groups should ONLY be started if no per-defined forum already exists. You must also follow the same forum rules as you do when posting in our forums area. Currently this feature is being tested and if we see members using this feature and it does hinder the performance of this site we will keep this feature. Note that at anytime if any members abuses this system we may ban the member from using our groups and possible banned from our site.

To create your first group keep these things in mind

1. If you create a group you must remember that you are the group owner, you manage the invites and president of that group.

2. Don't create a group and abandon it as we hold the right to delete stagnant groups and all their posts.

3. When creating a group you must choose a group icon, preferably one that had to do with the group you are starting. You can Google search for icon's if you don't have one to use (please respect the copyright laws

4. Please be respectful in these groups, we will not moderate these groups like we do with our public forums but we have full visibility in all groups as site admins and moderators we hold the same rights to move,delete, ban,edit posts

5. These Social Groups are not to be used for Reef Clubs as we have our Reef Clubs Foum's for that

Wanna start your own group? You can do this a couple different ways.
1. Go to the bottom of the site under the Clubs section a new area called Social Groups, now click the text "See what you are missing "

2. You can also go to the top of the forum menu and click "Community" then Social Groups and then click "Create a New Group"

Please note that this is a new feature and like anything new there maybe bugs so please report any issues in the Feedback and Questions

Enjoy
MR Staff :victory:

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Note to all tapatalk users, currently there is no support for viewing social groups via tapatalk. We have requested this feature in the near future but for now you can't access the social groups via tapatalk.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Could one start a non reef related selling/trading group? I've seem numerous posts deleted but some are wanting to trade let's say for instance an old xbox for a few frags. I personally don't see what's wrong with that but the mods do. I know it was said that this isn't craigslist but I've seen this on other forums and it hasn't been a problem

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Could one start a non reef related selling/trading group? I've seem numerous posts deleted but some are wanting to trade let's say for instance an old xbox for a few frags. I personally don't see what's wrong with that but the mods do. I know it was said that this isn't craigslist but I've seen this on other forums and it hasn't been a problem
Currently our social groups should be focused on Reef Related topics. Once we open this up to outside that discussion it become too difficult to manage and trying to outline what is permitted and not.

On the same note anyone start a social group, this feature is great especially the senior members allow only specific members to join. This was a highly demanded feature a couple years back.

·
Registered
725 Posts
reef120;940731 this feature is great especially the senior members allow only specific members to join. This was a highly demanded feature a couple years back. [/QUOTE said:
I know I'm fairly new here but I've been reefing since 1994 and don't see enough senior members other then the mods and a select few "senior members" even participating in the main forums let alone little select groups, maybe a few years back there were a lot more senior members participating and they wanted a sideline area so to say.

Isn't this really introducing cliches on MR?/QUOTE]

+1

I'm not trying to say these new groups are a bad idea I just don't see what real advantage they have, the majority of the guys that need help here are new to saltwater and we don't need little private groups or should I say less participation than we already have, it's mostly the same guys answering all the questions anyways and we have an advanced topic section that is hardly used, why not just limit it's access to people with so many post or time.

This is just my opinion and I hope the little groups work and this is just my feedback on how I think MR could be better and I know there's probably been a lot of thought already so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt as I'm just hear to help everyone including myself.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I know I'm fairly new here but I've been reefing since 1994 and don't see enough senior members other then the mods and a select few "senior members" even participating in the main forums let alone little select groups, maybe a few years back there were a lot more senior members participating and they wanted a sideline area so to say.

Isn't this really introducing cliches on MR?/QUOTE]

+1

I'm not trying to say these new groups are a bad idea I just don't see what real advantage they have, the majority of the guys that need help here are new to saltwater and we don't need little private groups or should I say less participation than we already have, it's mostly the same guys answering all the questions anyways and we have an advanced topic section that is hardly used, why not just limit it's access to people with so many post or time.

This is just my opinion and I hope the little groups work and this is just my feedback on how I think MR could be better and I know there's probably been a lot of thought already so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt as I'm just hear to help everyone including myself.
Please don't feel like you cant voice your opinion because we are here to listen. You bring up great points and agree with you 100%. We might be too late in the game with the groups idea because you are correct several years ago the groups feature was a highly demanded feature but no possible at that time. However this feature is considered a proof of concept to see if or how our members can benefit from this groups feature. The thought was that as our community continues to grow we wanted to be able to offer members with specialty forums that they can manage on their own, not to create clicks but rather looked at as micro specific topics, for example "SE Michigan Nano Reefers" could be a good one because it's not a club nor a sponsor but rather someone grouping local members in a member controlled group.

This feature will be available for a period of time or until we feel that feature is not used and we will then decide to keep it or pull it. Feedback of this feature is always appreciated as we are a member driven community.

Thank You
MR Staff

·
Registered
725 Posts
Well put that way it does sound a lot better as I for one one would like to see a deal section and maybe that's something are sponsors can put together but back to the groups after I thought about it there are some people who don't like criticism in an open forum and this gives them a chance to maybe have a discussion they wouldn't start anyway along with the original idea of senior members and the specialized categories is interesting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.