Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

right now I am wanting to upgrade my 46g Bow to a 120g + sump but the only concern is im a apartment renter... can a 120 be supported safely in a 2nd flr apartment??

thanks

·
Registered
755 Posts
I would also check the fine print on your lease contract to make sure that you can even have an aquarium. If not then you are putting your current tank in jeopardy of finding a new home.

I am personally looking for an apartment and will be taking my 120 but will only rent a ground floor.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
they usually dont let 2nd floor renters at all, and if they do limit the gallons to pretty small. but to answer the question, if it a new place, yes the floor would hold, but locate your floor joists if possible, and put it over as many as possible. which i believe are 16 on center? just throwing that out there, theres enough builders on here to correct me if im wrong.

·
Registered
191 Posts
juniormc8704 said:
they usually dont let 2nd floor renters at all, and if they do limit the gallons to pretty small. but to answer the question, if it a new place, yes the floor would hold, but locate your floor joists if possible, and put it over as many as possible. which i believe are 16 on center? just throwing that out there, theres enough builders on here to correct me if im wrong.
16 on center sounds about right to me for walls; on floors im not sure it all depends on the apartment and how it was constructed. best way to find out woudl be to use a stud finder, but i never tried that on a floor before. lol. i dont see why it wouldnt work. and if i was on a second floor i woldnt put a 210 in. id take the time and invest ona ground floor apartment and then proceed.

edit:

i was jsut thinking that some people weigh over 210 pds and move which creates more stress on joists then otherwise and im sure they would be using a steel support system on the frame for a building that is like so. i dont see why a 210 wouldnt work.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input. I am actually moving in a few months and that would be the time i would convert the tanks. I think im simply just going to grab a 1st floor apartment wherever I go, just checking my bases.

thanks again!

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
if you get a 1st floor i wouldn't even ask. Half the time they say ok, but then if you mention saltwater (which i wouldn't recommend mentioning either) they give you a dumb look, and then say well no nothing like that is allowed.

·
Registered
191 Posts
saltyspartan said:
Thanks for the input. I am actually moving in a few months and that would be the time i would convert the tanks. I think im simply just going to grab a 1st floor apartment wherever I go, just checking my bases.

thanks again!
it would be the safest bet to do so imo. although both would sound safe to me-the first floor sounds safer as a 210g tank is going to way well over 210 pds lol.

·
Registered
285 Posts
water

15 years ago I had a waterbed on the second floor of an apartment and that's alot weight. Just make sure you have good renters insurance.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I sold a 120 gallon setup to a couple of guys that live on the 8th floor of a apartment building. It has been up and running with no problems for at least a month now.:D

brad

·
Registered
268 Posts
When I moved into my apartment I asked the question about aquariums, my landlady said she didn't have any issues with a groundfloor apartment but did ask that if I chose an upper level to make sure I had renters insurance. I chose a groundfloor.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
i was jsut thinking that some people weigh over 210 pds and move which creates more stress on joists then otherwise and im sure they would be using a steel support system on the frame for a building that is like so. i dont see why a 210 wouldnt work.
Except that a 210 gallon is going to weigh 1750 pounds. Which may or may not be a problem depending on how the joists are oriented since it'll probably end up being around 125 pounds/sq. ft. But bear in mind that is a dead load compared to a live load and can cause problems to occur over time.

I think everyone is also assuming that a ground floor is going to have a poured concrete floor. I'm not sure this is true for all apartment buildings. Some with basements will likely have joists on the ground floor as well.

·
Registered
162 Posts
my girlfriend has a 90 gallon in a 2nd story apartment and i wouldn't hesitate to put a 120 in it provided it is against a supporting wall another thing to consider is not only the joist spacing but also the cover material (ie plywood thickness)and what kind of stand you are using. i know i notice that her tank moves if someone is walking hard on the other side of the room since its on a metal stand, not worried about it twisting or falling over just somthing to consider.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I live in an old townhouse that the floor moves alot depends on the location. I had a 30 gallon FW tank right in my room that is by the stairs. I know when that was there if I walked even near it it moved like crazy. I would recomend that with such a heavy tank is just get a bucket with some water in it and jump at this location were the tank is planed on being. If the water shakes alot then you may want to try another spot. Even a couple of feet it may be enough to stop this movement. Sounds stupid but this should roughly tell you if the floor is safe or not, but that is alot more wieght then you probably are.
If the place has basement rooms then it may shake alot.

hope this helps
the noob

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
saltyspartan said:
Hey everyone,

right now I am wanting to upgrade my 46g Bow to a 120g + sump but the only concern is im a apartment renter... can a 120 be supported safely in a 2nd flr apartment??

thanks
Take some advice from a guy that had a 180gal in his apartment not too long ago.;)

Stick with that 46. Moving your 120 will be a serious chore. Plus you'll be dealing with ridiculous humidity. I had mold on all my windowsills, and around the heating/cooling ducts. 1100 sq ft apartment.

I would never do it again.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Best advice is to check with your landlord. We had a 210 on the second floor but they apartments were constructed with concrete between all the floors. Our condo, we had a 65 on the second floor and we opted to take it down because I did not like how the floor moved and did not want any potential issues.

Renters insurance is always a good idea even if not required if you are going to be running an aquarium IMO.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
If you live in an apartment, you don't want to move a 120 Gal reef tank again when you move to a new place.

Let's say... you are allowed to have your tank, don't need renters insurance ect... in about a year or two, your new tank will look awesome put lots of $$$ into the fish coral and inverts...

Then you decide to move this beast. Hopefully you went BB because that would be easier to drain and move instead of a DSB which you do NOT want to disturb during a move otherwise you end up with a tank full of liquid death, then you would need to remove all the old sand/substrate and recycle your tank, then you would need to find a temporary place for your fish and corals for this to happen... may lose some corals and fish during the next 2 or 3 acclimation periods. Or you could go with BB make the transition a bit easier... either way you get the picture...

When I lived in an apartment about a 1.5 years ago I had... 1 47 Gal Tall tank, 40 Gal Tall, and a 55 gal tank... moving the tanks to my condo wasn't so bad since it was FW, but it was still a major hassle of loading my fish then beaking down the tank then taking the fish and the tank to the new place and setting the tank up makin' sure the water was good then acclimating them for about 15 mins... then doing it again.

Personally I am waiting to upgrade to a larger SW tank, until we find a house that we will live in for more than 4-5 years before I do anything larger than what I got. Plus, it gives me time to save up and get a good gameplan going for it. Instead of a alot of spur of the moment buying. (Crap, I forgot the skimmer... What I need more lights...?) It also lets you spread the spending out. You may have a closet ful of fish tank supplies that are still new in the box but that's ok.

Ask Dentdominator about being patient. I'm sure he knows.

BTW, this is all merely my opinion. I don't think keeping a 120 tank in an apartment would be an issue either, just ask if you can have a waterbed.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Johnos brings up an excellent point. Moving tanks is not fun IMO.

We moved our 220 full SPS system this past summer. We spent a full two days basically for the tank, overall it went good but a major task. We still underwent a cycle (we were BB) and sent most of our corals to freinds to babysit while we got it all stable once more. We also only moved about 10-15 minutes from our last place.... If I never move another tank it will be too soon.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I agree with checking with the landlord. Also depending on the apartment building, it may even have concrete floors on the second or higher floors. The apartment I used to live in did. In general I would say that apartment buildings probably have stronger floors than a typical house simply because I think they take more abuse and you never know what a tenant may put in them. The Landlord would be the key though, they should know what type of floor loading it can take.

·
Registered
52 Posts
2nd. Floor

Well all I have to say is I have a 150gal. and live in a apt. on the 2nd. floor and well lets just say there is no big deal about the floor holding it as long as you are on a support wall (any wall with a door)....
I am moving up to a 210 here in a month or so .....
BUT I guess the only thing you need to check is your renters ins. incase you do have an issue your cover'd......

1 - 20 of 32 Posts