Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep reading about how bad aptasia is in a reef tank. I bought some live rock yesterday for my reef tank and found it had lots of extra travelers. Some of them resemble small brown and translucent striped anemonaes. I am told these are aptasia and must be destroyed with "Joe Juice". I also see some critters which resemble small maroon colored anemonaes. Are these also aptasia? They seem handsome enough, Must they go too? The brown and translucent striped ones are about 1/2" across; The maroon one is about 2" across. Where might I find a pictue of aptasia?-confused

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
It's all a matter of opinion, at first you'll think "Oh cute" and "that's cool a freebie" Then it's WTF, GO AWAY!!! I hate this hobby and LR.

Either way, joe's juice works. But, I prefer my peppermint shrimp.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Kill Um all

sounds like apstasia to me..hit it with the joe juice of mix up some thick kalk and blast it. i thought they were cool freebies at first but now i know better. good luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if you dont want to spend the money on joe's juice and dont have kalk then some good hot if not boiling water squirted directly on them works it burns them to death I did this to my aips and got me a pep shrimp or two and have not seen any aips since

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all of the help. Now the mystery has broadened. The largest of these characters, 1 1/2 - 2" across, disappeared during the day and left behind a large blob of translucent slime. Can't figure out where its gone?-confused

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
the only things that have worked for me in riding my tank af aiptasia has been Blue Life Aiptasia control, up untill I got about 5 peppermint shrimp. I once tried Joes juice and it did nothing for me. If you start to notice more of them i recommend getting a couple peppermints, they will help you to get rid of the ones you cant see. I had no clue for a while that a whole rock was infested with them untill i rescaped my tank and the part of the rock that was hidden had them on it, thats when i got the peppermints, havent seen an aiptasia in months.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I use to use hot water I thought it worked pretty well, but after using it many times it doesn;t work that great. I now use rubbing alcohol and I inject them with a syringe the type you give shots with. They just melt away, even when they are surrounded by zoas I can still kill them with out harming the zoas.

·
Registered
916 Posts
aquanewbie said:
I just got some peppermint shrimp for mine :) 3 for my 50 gal.
these shrimp will work unless you over feed your tank. i have 6 in my 100g tank and they would not touch them, so i stoped feed the tank for 2-3 days. well then they eat everyone. if there is a better food source they will use that first, so keep that in mind and also use joe's on the big ones!
good luck-devil

·
Registered
249 Posts
I Use A Pasty Mix Of Kalkwasser In A Siringe (spelling) And Cover The Area Around The Base Of The Pest With All Power Heads Off For Awhile.... What Your Ph When Doing This Method In A Smaller Tank!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts