Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So some may have noticed in a previous thread I am a little cramped on sump space at the inlet chamber. I've been trying to find a decent skimmer that would fit there. Tape measure in hand, I headed up to one of the local stores I like north of here and looked over their selection trying to get some ideas of which way to go. The dimmensions were good on the Aqua C EV-120, and he showed me installations of it since they run it in the store (larger but the EV series). I figured what the heck, bite the bullet and spend a little more than I was hoping to and got the skimmer. It fits perfectly where I want to use it so that is certainly a plus. They mated it with a Rio-1700 which is within the gph guidlines I found on the skimmer site, even though the site said the 2100 was the rio to go with.

Questions:
Does anyone have any experience with this skimmer? Tell me I didn't make a boo-boo with the money I jsut dropped on this thing !!!

If you have one, are there any little 'tricks' I should know about in setting it up? It seems pretty straight forward.

How long of a 'break in' period did you experience before the skimmer 'kicked in'?

I'm sure it's bound to be better than the little Aqua Clear that was running in there but any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanx In Advance,
Steve

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, like throwing a light switch it started foaming really nice and making it to the collection cup. I was pretty impressed by the amount of foam in the tube.

Then I added some reef complete to my sump, Ca was a tad low. The foam disappeared! I am assuming this is a natural reaction with this skimmer? Especially since it isn't probably any where near being broken in?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
IMO, return the RIO they are junk, get a Mag 7, i owned a ev240 for a couple years and the extra power will greatly improve the performance. Aqua C recommended the mag 12 and i upgraded to the 18 and got much better performance, so going lower than recommended will not yield the results the skimmer is capable of.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
agreed. i use a ev180 with a mag 9.5. recommended mag 7 and have found it to perform better. once dialed in, i set it and forget it. i havnt touched a dial in two months, just empty my skimmate bucket.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts